Awake Hallucinations with Partial Complex seizures?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
I was just curious if anyone has ever experienced awake hallucinations (talking /hearing/seeing someone) while the person is awake? Also, has this ever happened to you in relations to your seizures (partial-complex, petit mal, etc.) that maybe a caregiver or loved one observed. Very interested in your input.
:ponder: Renee

Last edited:
I have started getting hallucinations from phenytoin I've been on it about 2 months. I see things out of the corner of my eye, it can be bit freaky at times.

Yeah I have! I can laugh about it now, but reality is it sucked. What happened to me, back in June I was at home, had at least two seizures (grand mal) probably 3 over a day and a half, my gf got worried came over and found me in one of them and called 911, ended up in the hospital for a couple days. So when she picked me up she was gonna take me to her place for a couple days try and recover, those grand mals can knock the shit out of me sometimes.

So on the way to her place I hallucinated people running across the street in front of her car, I almost freaked I thought she was gonna hit them. Of course it was just a hallucination. I know it freaked her a bit when I was almost shouting "watch out, watch out for those people" and no one was there of course.

That night I also hallucinated x-mas music in some trees in her yard!

The worst was when we were in bed that night I started hallucinating some type of dark shadowy evil figure was coming after me!! That scared the hell out of me. And her.

But that was the only time anything like that has ever happened, thank God.

Renee, I thought I would be bringing something new to the table for you but see that Nakamova provided you with the thread I began maybe two years ago...which I had totally forgotten about! - "TLE and Auditory Hallucinations"

However since then, I've come to discover that they were a result of having a simple partial, not an aura.

As a child I experienced both auditory and visual hallucinations. How I've escaped the latter into adulthood, I don't know. But they were also related to TLE.

maybe a caregiver or loved one observed

My parents observed me running around the house screaming "The devil's laughing down stairs!" My father promptly brought me to the parish priest for a little talk. The hallucinations continued but after the visit to the rectory I kept it to myself lest an exorcism were to be arranged! It's not uncommon for persons with TLE to have religious visions.

Yes, I had visual hallucinations. However it was likely due to my usage of Ambien at the time. Nobody observed them either.

Yes, I've had them.
I got a chance, many years ago to talk it out with a friend.
He said that it could be fear or anxiety about something.
(Or at least mine were frightening, grim reaper look alike an all.)

I've had some recently, not fun.

During my simple partials I sometimes hear music or a man talking to me in a fast mean voice.I have never understood what he is saying though???? I don't know if it's another language or ramblings.
Since I've been on topamax and epilim together I think I 'see' someone out of the corner of me eye sometimes.It's so real and scares the life out of me.always happens when I'm home alone!!!!!

welcome flower child.

since the doc raised my dosage of lamictal i've been seeing things out of the corner of my eye.It's there and gone in a flash.It can freak the hell out of a person.There were times when i was so frightened i pissed myself(thank god for underwear liners).

I haven't been diagnosed yet I go see a neurologist in October but I know on my off days where I have my episodes I have auditory hallucinations my most recent one was a visual trail of my hand ad fingrs

I don't know if this happens during an aura or during a seizure but I'll think that the pictures are on the wrong walls or the furniture has been moved around in the room. There was one time that I swore my aunt was in the house. She never said anything but was just standing in the kitchen.

A lot of times I'll wake up hearing the phone ring, which it didn't. I don't know if these could be some sort of seizure or just dreams that I'm having?

I have mainly complex partial seizures but I do have simple partials and tonic clonics aswel. During CP and SP seizures, I often hear voices saying like shit call 999 and stuff but when I come out of it I'm totally alone. Sometimes I see my brother and sister looking like they did when I first started having seizures so they would have been 9 and 10

Sorry I didn't mean to submit that, I was just going to add that if I see or hear anything during TC seizures then I don't remember it.

Last edited:
I just created this account just to reply to you.

Yes I have experienced it many times when I was little. My mum was the first to be on the scene to comfort me LOL. I believe the hallucinations were occuring during a simple focal seizure. I wasn't officially diagnosed because it was unheard of in my country of origin. Most of the time I wake up screaming/freaking out, carrying short conversations with my mum and/or sisters. Sometimes, I just wake up in the morning feeling like I had been punched in every single inch of my body.

When I experienced mine, usually I wake up from sleep and that's when I freak out because I can't wake up (even though I'm physically up with my eyes open and everything) or I don't understand what's going on with me. I can litterally see, hear, and talk to my mum and sisters, but I feel like I was stuck in a bad dream and I can't wake up no matter what I do. Like I said, sometimes I would miss school because my body was so sore from having to go through whatever was happening to me at night. And no I didn't use it as an excuse to miss school because those were the only days I actually miss school. UGH... so much for trying to keep a perfect attendance.

The biggest one which I somehow remember was when I'm experiencing it at night where all the other stuff I've hallucinated in the past combined all together. My mum was freaking out because she doesn't know how to help me during these episodes. However, I don't remember everything. My mum and sisters later told me that I used to cry for help because "They are coming to get me. Here they are!" I guess when I mentioned "They" I was probably refering to the giant figures in my hallucination/dream. I still get goosebumps from that story.

I've always kept it a secret from my friends because I was scared of being labeled as mentally ill. But after learning that there's people out there experiencing the same thing, I felt I shouldn't hide it anymore.

One time I also experienced what they call the Deja Vu. I woke up in the morning while experiencing simple focal seizure. I wake outside from the front door, walk to the side of our house, saw my mum gossiping with the neighbor, and I proceeded to the back gate. My mum followed me and asked where I was going. I said, "I don't know." At that point, she knew I was experiencing it again. She lead me back to the front porch and asked me to lie down on the folding bed. I went back to sleep and woke up later and was still experiencing it, so I went back to sleep. I was exhausted that day! Later, my mum told me that since I looked totally fully conscious, she thought I was angry at her for not buying me something that I really wanted the day before.

I wish there were means of video taping me before (we were too poor). It would've been fun to watch what I went through those years.

my waking hallucinations - I have seen dead people at Walmart

Back
Top Bottom