Has anybody tried the GENERIC Keppra XR???

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Eve

New
Reaction score
I am presently taking the Brand Keppra 1500 mg for simple nocturnal seizures. My cobra insurance has expired and the Brand Keppra has gotten extremely costly. I have an appt next week with the Neuro. I was wondering what kind of results people have gotten with the Generic Keppra XR, Is it better than the Generic regular Keppra?????:ponder:

Keppra has a relatively short half-life, which means that depending on your metabolism you may feel more vulnerable to seizures when it's at it's lowest level in your system. In theory, the extended release should provide more "coverage" so that Keppra levels are more even. But everyone reacts so differently, it can be hard to predict how it will affect you, especially with generics. I made the switch from brand Lamictal to the generic Lamotrigine without any problems, hope you have the same results with the Keppra.

The CWE threads below may be helpful:
http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/f23/generic-keppra-xr-18310/
http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/f23/has-anyone-tried-generic-keppra-xr-17699/
http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/f23/has-anyone-tried-generic-keppra-xr-13742/
http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/f23/generic-keppra-xr-13165/
http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/f23/keppra-vs-generic-depression-14021/
http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/f23/starting-keppra-xr-1000mg-day-18839/
http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/f20/keppra-xr-vs-levetiracetam-er-17415/

I just got done trying the generic keppra xr and had break through seizures. It was the first time Ive never tried a generic seizure medication. I did it because Ive had such great seizure control with Keppra XR, and wanted to see how the generic would do. I first tried it on 11/15/12. I felt ok. had sometimes where I felt alittle off... but by the 14th day, I woke up to a cluster of seizures that night. I immediately went back to the name brand. I only kept two weeks of the brand name on hand, just incase this did happen. But after being back on the name brand, since December 1, 2012... Ive been doing great!

Basicly my drs office left it up to me. They did point out that all generic medications are suppose to be about the same, but the filters are off on some, and different manufacters make them. So it was a risk I wanted to take. But in all... it just didnt work out for me.

Thanks for your replies. I have an appt with my neuro in a week I'll ask him but I don't know. I remember when I switched from Tegretol over to Keppra and I had breakthrough seizures it was just awful, What I am really trying to do is save some money because my Cobra prescription coverage is running out, I know my Doctor did not like the generic for the regular Keppra but I don't know yet what he thinks about the generic for the Keppra XR.:e:

I am on the brand name lamictal I don't know how long I will be able to stay on it. So, it's nice to hear you did fine on the generic. I am also taking Topamax right now, I don't know if I will continue with both or not? Do you do fine on just the lamictal??

Do you do fine on just the lamictal??
Yes, I've always been on just one med at a time, (before it was Zonegran, and before that it was Dilantin), and they all have worked for me in terms of seizure control. I've heard that the switch from brand Lamictal to generic is easier than with some of the other anti-seizure meds, but I don't know if that's based on any particular studies.

The only reason I am thinking of going Generic on Keppra is for the Cost Savings, But I don't want to deal with Break Through Seizures either. I'll see the Neuro next week and see what he says.:e:

Hi Eve

My experience with Keppra was terrible. I have generalised grand mal seizures and after many years of being on Tegretol my body decided to start having seizures. Keppra slowed my speech down and I felt that there was a delay in my thinking to what was actually spoken which was bizarre and I had many many seizures. A professor at the hospital recommended it then when I went to my neurologist and told him it was no good he was furious as he specifically told the professor not to put any of his patients on Keppra as it didnt work for any of his patients. I am currently on Lamictal and Tegretol (Generic Lamictal causes me to have seizures) Then I discovered that Lamictal generally was causing me to have seizures as it contains sacchrin, people with epilipsy should avoid all artificial sweetners and sacchrin. I am almost on a preservative free diet and reduced my Lamicatal to 100mg daily (as I am weening off) and I appear to be healthier. I avoid most beef as it has a chemical in it that causes me to have seizure, I only eat meet from a trustworthy butcher. Topamax, I couldnt handle the pins and needles, memory loss (short term) which was really bad, when friends started getting pissed off at me cause I couldnt remember anything at their birthday parties weeks earlier they told me to get off the meds, plus I was losing my vision at the end of the day. Basically, I am researching foods and starting to grow my own vegetables and stay mostly preservative free that helps

Artificial Sweeteners always give me migraines so does MSG. I use to use Topomax bit it really messed up my focus so I went off of it.

All of the medicines that I take are generic and I don't think that I've ever taken a name brand of any of the medicines that I have ever took, so I really don't know if I've had any differenent reactions between the two.

With my insurance company they have to give you the generic form of the medicine because it saves them money. But I know that if the dr says that you MUST have the name brand then they have to give it to you. I don't know how Cobra works and if you can be put back on it sometime.

So maybe try the generic and if you have problems with it then tell the dr that you want to be put back on the name brand.

You could mabye try changing to another medicine that is less expensive and see how it works for you.

I've been on generic Keppra XR 500mg twice a day for almost 4 weeks now. It hasn't given me any trouble. If you do try it, I'd say just keep an eye out and see if you notice any negative side effects. I'm trying to keep an eye on things, myself. I haven't noticed any adverse effects, though.

I tried Keppra Generic and I felt like the world was coming down in my head in a tunnel. I felt very dizzy and was always on the verge of vomiting, but never did. Years on a boat in Alaska probably helped. =)
It's purpose was so I could start driving, but since I did so poorly, they took me off it. I felt drunk and not able to drive.

I don't know. I only want to save money but I don't know if I want to deal with weird side effects or breakthrough seizures. I'll see what the Dr says. I have already tried Tegretol, Carbemazepine, Topomax and Zonegran and so far Keppra has been the best in relieving the seizures it is just the anxiety issues that I don't like which is why I have to take Zoloft along with the Keppra. But I guess you are right everyone is different. What works for some doesn't work for others. I am just always scared to change my seizure medicine. I've had some bad reactions with changing meds like when I tried changing to Zonegran that made me feel like I was going crazy.:e:

Back
Top Bottom