Keppra

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

acshuman

New
Reaction score
I happen to be one of the rare people who hasn't experienced the huge mood swinhs and expression of anger that seems to go along with taking Keppra. I have talked with experts who represent the company that makes Keppra, and they have told me that there is just a small percentage of users who are NOT affected with those side-effects!
It seems to me that Keppra at the dosage that I take it is the best AED that I have had in my 50 years of taking AEDs!

ACsHuman:twocents:

I happen to be one of the rare people who hasn't experienced the huge mood swinhs and expression of anger that seems to go along with taking Keppra. I have talked with experts who represent the company that makes Keppra, and they have told me that there is just a small percentage of users who are NOT affected with those side-effects!
It seems to me that Keppra at the dosage that I take it is the best AED that I have had in my 50 years of taking AEDs!

ACsHuman:twocents:

That's awesome, ACsHuman! I am right there with you. I take 500mg 2x a day of the generic version (Levetiracetam), and I truly love it. In fact, I recently told my neuro that I have been a happier and less stressed out person while on it. I have had some days where I was so relaxed to the point where I was a bit more nonchalant than I've ever been in my life, but I definitely prefer that to the "anxious me" before taking it.

My sister was diagnosed with E a few weeks ago, and she's taking Keppra. I think I will call her and see if she is having any side effects...

I just spoke with my sister...really interesting.

Before taking Keppra, she was the type who'd hold in her feelings. For example, if she's upset about something, she'd not share her anger. I, on the other hand, was the opposite. I'd share my anger more than I probably should. :)

We're taking the same brand & dosage...

So, it's like the medicine is making us the opposite of who we were before taking it. It's giving her the courage to speak up, and toning me down so I let go of the unimportant things.

Keppra is an excellent AED (anti epilletic drug) but for me its a double edged sword.

I am already semi edged guy and keppra just makes me a dick. On top of being a dick i will not remember everything that is said in a conversation.

So people will think you ignore them on purpose. I dont, but this has happened many times.

I am currently tapering down from 1500mg total (750 twice) to 750mg total & am worried about aura's/seizures, but i must get off this med.

ive broken glass glasses (drinking glasses), i punched a hole in my drywall.

When i get bad news, or am upset, i get angry mad. Not just upset inside or emotionally. I get into a bad state and just flip.

I know im going to do it & try not to, but it happens. I go to marriage counseling and see a psychiatrist........But at the end of the day i give my wife a lot of BS for nothing.

its tough & gets old quick. Glad you have good luck with the drug, it does have some excellent positive effects.......just some bad ones too.

GL

I've been on Keppra for 8 years & I am one of the lucky ones who have had no issues with Keppra Rage.
I have had issues with other epilepsy meds which messed with my moods.

And I've been on Keppra for over 10 years-- 1500 mgs. 2x a day, along with Topamax. Keppra works for me for seizures and I haven't experienced the "kepprage". But then, I do suffer from mood swings in general, not necessarily from any of the AEDs. It does go along with epilepsy.

http://www.epilepsy.com/learn/impact/moods-and-behavior/mood-and-behavior-101/moods-and-behavior
Changes caused by seizures
Seizures can cause many long-lasting mood changes. Two of the most common changes are becoming depressed or anxious. These two disorders can be closely related. Some experts say that between 30% and 70% of people with epilepsy have depression, anxiety, or both. So if you are affected by one of these disorders, you are not alone!
Depression and anxiety are each like a puzzle. They can be broken down into many different "pieces," which may vary slightly for different people. A combination of many pieces is usually needed to develop depression or an anxiety disorder.

Last edited:
I have no idea if I have anger issues on Keppra or not. I'm on 2,500 a day--I definitely have a temper, more than I used to it seems. But at this point it just seems, well, normal :) and I deal with it and don't let it take control. I've always been a bit moody--I count myself generally lucky that Keppra hasn't really seemed to be a problem. B6 does seem important; when I stop taking it for any length of time my mood goes downhill.

I have had terrible side effects with most of the medications i've tried, so i was very nervous when starting keppra about 5 years ago, but i've been on 3000mg a day for years now and get very few side effects from it which i was pleasantly surprised about :)

Now trying to find the right one to go alongside it lol (currently topamax)

Welcome to the site, Acshuman.
Keppra has been pretty good for me over all as well. Had a time or 2 when the rage peeked out but after starting on vit b6 that all pretty much went away. I have been taking 3750 mgs daily for several years, but still have mild simple partials every week. Before Keppra, I had been on dilantin, tegretol, & carbotrol and I was kind of a mess from side effects from these for many years so keppras lack of side effects for me was a welcome relief.
So if you are Ac's Human, who is AC?
Ed

Who Is AC?

EDBRAD,
You are the first to ever ask that! AC is my loyal companion, for the last 13.5 years. He has 4 legs, a tail and meows.
I don't know where my stress and depression would be without him!

ACsHuman:ponder:

Last edited:
Hello Acshuman
I understand completely. Im a dog guy myself. My wife & my dog Bella are the ones who keep me from going off the deep end. They do a pretty good job of keeping me in line too.
I havent had a cat since I was a kid but a lot of the strays tend to find me. Doesnt make Bella mad, just very disappointed. She doesnt think much of cats.
So give AC a chuckle under the chin for me & Bella and tell him he is doing a wonderful job.
Ed

ACsHuman,

I always wondered what your username meant. Now that you explained it, I'm thinking I should have figured it out b/c I'm an animal lover. I, currently, have two dogs. I have had cats and other dogs in the past.
Keppra is my wonder drug. It decreased my seizures better than any other AED I tried. I take 3000 mg a day along with Tegretol. I used to take Lamictal, too. I believe I've experienced the Kepprage, but it doesn't happen that often so it's definitely worth it. I also have mood swings, but there are a number of possible causes. I've experienced worse side effects from other AEDs. I used to be on such high doses of Tegretol and Lamictal it was like I was drunk sometimes. I couldn't function so I lowered my dosages.

Good to hear. Keppra works great for me, but I just had to cope with the anger that can ignite my entire body in a split second. I guess that imagery makes it sound bad, but it is manageable.

Music36,
AC has been looking over me for all of these years just like people tell about how their dogs know just when to come to them and provide comfort when the person really needs it!
It seems as though he can sense any time that I am NOT feeling the way he thinks I should feel. He has jumped up into my lap almost every time that I have been a little 'under the weather'. This sure wakes me up and makes me realize that he cares about me and I need to care about him!
Sometimes I would swear he was part dog. If he wants to go out he sits by the door and meows, just a dog barks when they want to go out.

ACsHuman

I am also one of the "lucky ones" on generic Keppra. Got a new dr. in Jan. and told him about "kepprage" and he said that he had never heard that term???
I hope he is more knowledgeable about other things than this!
I've been on it since 2006. Trying to reduce from 1500 to 1250. Was down to 750 a day when had some extra stress and had a seizure.
M

N Sperlo,
I know exactly what you mean. I've experienced the same thing. I'm trying to have better control these days. I had epilepsy surgery last year and it's had a big effect on me in a number of ways. I've changed in some ways. I'm trying to be more laid back and less stressed out. I'm trying to control my anger better.

I had the side effects one time shortly after getting on Keppra. The doc ramped me up from 3000 to 4000 at once. Symptoms lasted for 3-4 weeks until I went in to the ER. When another hospital instructed me to drop to 3000mg the problems went away. Since then I have not had problems even with high labs and doses of it. I was taking 5000mg a few years ago without problems. When my labs were elevated (in the 50's and 60's) I wasn't having issue. I find it a little odd that I had problems once but not since.

So glad I'm down to 1000/day now of it!
--Travis

I had the side effects one time shortly after getting on Keppra. The doc ramped me up from 3000 to 4000 at once. Symptoms lasted for 3-4 weeks until I went in to the ER. When another hospital instructed me to drop to 3000mg the problems went away. Since then I have not had problems even with high labs and doses of it. I was taking 5000mg a few years ago without problems. When my labs were elevated (in the 50's and 60's) I wasn't having issue. I find it a little odd that I had problems once but not since.

So glad I'm down to 1000/day now of it!
--Travis

God....IDK how you took 5000mg a day.

I'm trying to be more laid back and less stressed out. I'm trying to control my anger better.

Meditation helped me with stress. I rarely get stressed anymore. When dealing with things that make me angry, I go back to my meditative zone. My "happy place" if you will. LOL. I've learned to completely separate myself from a problem when I know I have no control. This really works for both stress and anger. Two birds, one stone.

N Sperlo,
It's great that you are able to do that. Listening to music is a great stress release for me. I just put in my earphones and blast the music. I listen to heavy metal and classic rock. There's nothing like some Pink Floyd to mellow out to. I have a 24 yr. old daughter who has put my family and I through tremendous stress and heartache and she is only one of my causes of stress. It's been one crisis after another. I used to think am I going to wake up from this nightmare. Some of it seemed unbelievable. I love her more than anything, but I have had to accept that I have no control over her and accept her for who she is. She just won't listen to me, family, or her friends. I hope that some day she'll change. She has changed and grown some, but she's got a ways to go. I try not to get too emotional about her these days for my own physical and mental health. I've had to let go in a way. Don't get me wrong. I still see her and talk to her. But, I miss my little girl.

Back
Top Bottom