New here :) (managing unmedicated)

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

RussM8

New
Reaction score
Hi there,

I am a 34 year old male living in South Australia and have been living with seizures now for around 4 years.

During this discussion I am going to point out some of my own personal observations that may turn out to have no relevance at all, or be in disagreeance with some peoples opinions/views. This is fine by me I only wish to explore this condition I have through discussion and debate on a forum where I can get some feedback from other people who suffer from seizure conditions.

My story - Around 4 years ago I was at a point in my life where I was quite lazy physically and had become quite grossly overweight. A close friend of mine passed away at age 30 from a heart attack. This prompted me to do something about my weight/lifestyle (better late than never). I went from being 154 Kilo's down to about 110 kilos in 6 weeks. My rule of thumb for this was not to go on some fad diet where you eat expensive designer foods or live on tofu forever, it was simply a matter of saying NO to things lie soft drink/fast food/dairy/wheat products and some other common sense when realizing that what you are about to eat is not good for you, then I would do about 3 minutes on the weights and instead of driving tot he local shops or whatever, I walked. Sorry for the long rant on weight loss but I'll get to the point.

It was when I started losing this weight, I had dropped about 20 KGs when my first seizure occurred. I know now that it was a complex partial/absent seizure but at the time just felt a bit dizzy, had a strong metallic and also wooden taste in my mouth and needed some time to gather myself. I put this down to either being exhausted from the workout or something to that effect. I noticed about 20 minutes after I had gathered myself somewhat, that I could taste the air so much better, I could smell things I had never smelled before and my hearing, when triggered by the right kind of sound would produce vivid images of memories I had completely "forgotten" about. I have experimented with psycho active drugs for pleasure like mushrooms/acid when I was in my teens, this felt somewhat similar to that but not as extreme and not with the compulsion to laugh uncontrollably. I passed it off and went on with life....

3 days later the same thing happened again. Then again and again every couple of days over the next few weeks. At this point I was a little concerned, but I had decided that it must just be a side effect of losing so much weight so fast, perhaps toxins built up in my fat cells were being released?? I had no real idea back then but I have always avoided the medical world when I can so my mind decided that this was its theory, and we are sticking to it!

Over the next few months things had changed a bit for me, I was now a lot fitter and healthier, more so than I had been in over 6 years. I was experiencing much fewer of these absent seizures and so was no longer concerned that it was a real problem anymore. Then BANG they started back up again. This time they were worse and lasted for what felt like a lot longer and recovery time was definitely a lot longer than before. I kept saying to my family and friends "it feels like something has changed" as in, something about how I felt inside my body/mind felt almost like....Not me, or at least not the "Me" I was.

I moved to Queensland with some friends a couple of months later, partial seizures were still happening 2-3 times a week but I was "managing" them (haha). It wasn't until my friends saw me have one of these partial seizures and after I "gathered myself" were both standing around me with terrified looks of concern on their faces that I realized that this was more than I had hoped to convince myself than it was. They both told me that I had just stopped mid sentence and got up and walked outside and stood against a pole. I then slid down it to the ground while breathing really deeply and chewing on my own mouth. I apparently got up and went and sat down again and resumed the conversation where I had left off and then got up again and repeated the whole seizure process in the exact same fashion as I had just done 5 minutes ago. It was after this that I came to and saw my friends faces.

After some extremely passive aggressive convincing that night, I went to the GP the next day.....I was referred to see a neurologist and prescribed Tegretol that day.

I went home with the prescription slip and googled "Tegretol side effects" after about4 different sites I came to one conclusion - HOLY WTF!?? You must be kidding me I thought, they want me to actually trade having some dizziness and sensory overload (which isn't as bad as it sounds) for side effects like depression, impotence, incontinence, kidney failure, liver disease, heart palpitations etc etc, I am sure a lot of you would be familiar with this kind of stuff in the world of anti-seizure medications.

I went and saw the Neuro and he suggested I take Epilum. Again, googled side effects on my phone while sitting there and read them aloud to him. After that I asked if he had any alternative ideas. He said no, that the best thing is to go through the list of meds and find one you like. I said catcha later mate, and went home to do some of my own research. Research that is not fueled by being marketed to by a pharmaceutical company, but rather in the best interests of the person I care about most, me. What I found is that the medical world just has no real clue what to do, there is no"cure" and 99% of the medications that are used, only work because they block sodium channels in the brain or stop another part of the brain from talking to the rest. At the cost of living a lifestyle where you always feel sick/dizzy and are bound to experience some very horrifying long term effects if you stay on it for too long. Risking things like depression/anxiety which in turn can lead to elevated seizure activity as a result anyway...The list is huge.

What I did notice though, is that the studies into medical cannabis were going on in different parts of the world and were showing incredible results. The only block being things like state laws etc. I decided I would keep that idea for another day if things got worse but for now I figured that exercise/good eating/good frame of mind were a good start and seemed to abate the seizures from 2-3 per week to once a week, sometimes even every 2 weeks.

I lived like this for about a year, I had surrendered my drivers license by this stage and was happy to walk or use public transport. The all of a sudden the absent seizures started getting alarmingly frequent again and after about 3 weeks of having 1-2 a day, I woke up out in the backyard on the concrete with a really sore head and a busted face and feeling like I had just run 30 marathons without a warm up. This time I had my Mother, Brother and Sister (who is a registered nurse) standing around me telling me an ambulance was on the way etc and that I had just had a full tonic clonic seizure and had fitted for about 5 minutes.

I realize I have ranted on for a while here so I will try to wrap this up, I continued to have tonic clonic seizures from that point on, up to as many as 5 a week, sometimes 2-3 in one day. At the time I was also going through some pretty stressful family stuff which seemed to aggravate the seizures a lot more. At this point I decided I needed to be "medicated" so I tried them,I tried Tegretol, Epilum and Keppra. All 3 gave me horrible side effects and only the epilum did anything to ease the seizures. I though bugger it, I am going to skip the norm and go outside the box a bit. I went and got myself some cannabis butter from an associate (lol) and started medicating myself with it. I also kept some dried cannabis to roll into a smoke for when I would experience the pre-seizure signs and use it almost to the same effect an asthma patient would use a ventolin inhaler to prevent an asthma attack.

Since then I have maybe 1 absent seizure every 2 weeks and even then it is very mild and easily manageable as far as 90% of day to day tasks go. I still do not drive and am limited by the types of physical work I can do so I am not 100% free of life restrictions by any means. But my point is, after 4 years of exploring this with an open mind and a hunger for knowledge/references/proof and above all, the truth, no matter how much I may have disagreed with it. I have come to realize that I would rather have a small seizure every now and then and have the effects of getting "high" from cannabis as a "side effect" of using it as a medication than going through a list of heavy pharma meds that have disgusting side effects that may or may not abate the seizures, but will definitely shorten my lifespan and overall quality of living.

I am not saying I know it all or that what I do will work for anyone else as well as it is for me, i realize some people have other factors to deal with in their health that may restrict them from being able to be as active as I am. But i have followed these few simple rules to help get control of my life again and I think that even if I was to somehow become "cured" of all seizures I would still follow these rules regardless as they are just great life habits.

1) Eat well. 3 meals a day at least. Start with a good breakfast that has a good balance of energy sources in it. It is the most important meal I have and never miss it, I used to struggle to eat breakfast in the mornings but after some willpower and forcing it down for a few days, I started waking up ravenous. My fav is a poached egg on whole meal toast with BUTTER not margarine! Margarine/spreads are literally 1 molecule off of being considered a plastic, it is not food and has no nutritional gain whatsoever. Avoid eating lots of dairy/breads. they don't digest easily and the body only needs a small amount of them each day. Keep fast food to a minimum, I still go to Maccas every now n then. Completely eliminating treats from your diet is pointless, we all indulge in some way, its who we are, I like to indulge these days on a nice steak with a good array of veggies and some gravy....mmmmmmm..gravy.....Ahem, so yea, eat healthy, its easier than you think and your body will love you, especially if you have seizures, you need to replace all that spent energy and have energy in reserve.

2) Stay hydrated. I have a glass of water by my bed at all times. When i consume alcohol (which isn't that often anymore really) I make sure I drink a glass of water every 2-3 drinks minimum. Stay away from soft drinks, if you really crave fizzy flavoured drink then get some soda water and cordial or juice and mix it up. Tastes great, is actually refreshing and hydrating and about a thousand times healthier than coke. Also soda water here is about 1/4 the price of coke per litre so that makes sense too. I also try to keep my caffeine intake down, not sure if it helps but you know....it cant hurt.

3) Take some time after waking up to let your mind wake up a bit, maybe some morning meditation or some of your favourite music. Whatever you can think of to help put you in a positive frame of mind for the day. I have found that feeling angry/confused/depressed/anxious made my seizures not only more frequent but more severe also. Find things that help you feel grounded. For me I like to do some gardening or wood carving or even just some regular treadmill housework like the dishes can make me feel "more in my body"

4) Cannabis - Heres where it may get awkward. For some you will agree with me other will not. Its fine, but I assure you that other than my seizure condition ,which it is helping me so well to manage, I am a very healthy person with a good memory and a high libido -.^

5) Acceptance - It took me a long time to accept the fact I was having seizures and that I couldn't control them by sheer will power or by hoping it would go away. I had to make changes in my life, I have had to adjust. My partner and our kids have had to re-adjust as have my friend and the rest of my family. It has not been easy, its not meant to be easy. Challenges like this come up in life and you can either learn and grow from them or you can let them kick you down and let yourself become a victim. The amount I have learned about myself, others, the human brain...the list goes on, all through wanting to understand my condition better. I have applied this gained knowledge and experience in so many other areas of my life now that one could almost say I was thankful to have had these seizures.

Anyway that's my rant over. Ended up ranting for quite a lot longer than 1st intended haha...I am always looking to hear from others, will accept any criticism and welcome all kinds of discussion wether you agree or disagree :)

Cheers,

Russell

Welcome Russell,

I think you're on the right track. If you let yourself be heavily medicated for decades as I did, then it becomes harder and harder to get them out of your system. That's what I am doing though and I'm exploring all kinds of alternative therapies.

Hawaii has fairly liberal laws about medical mj so I am planning a little gardening project. ( I just applied for my medical card). No judgements from me there. The scientific evidence that it does help is irrefutable. Do they have dispensaries where you are? If you can get your hands on a strain of herb that is low TCH/high CBD, that would do you the most good. Careful if it is a super high THC strain however as that can actually cause a seizure in some people.

Of all the things I've tried, the thing that is making the most difference for me is ketosis. It means not just cutting back on the grain products and any sources of sugar but giving them the complete boot. And you are on the right track with the eggs and the butter, just skip the toast. If you would like to know more about it I highly recommend the book "Grain Brain" by Dr. David Perlmutter, a neurologist as well as a nutritionist.

When I stay in ketosis I am on half the Rx dose of my phenobarbitol and sleeping great (my seizures are only nocturnal). I'm working on stepping it back slowly and carefully.

Nobody gets to make the decisions for what goes on in your body except you.

Robin

Welcome to CWE, Russell;
Whatever you decide to do, I recommend finding a health care professional who will work with you as you try traditional and/or alternative treatments for your seizures. The more extreme diets, for example, may require close monitoring. For example, the ketogenic diet in my country sometimes requires initial hospitalization (in part because the switch to this type of diet can trigger seizures initially) then later monitoring of various blood levels while you are on the diet.

If you haven't already, I would encourage you to request a referral to see an epileptologist. Since these doctors specialize in epilepsy, he/she may have helpful information for you on both traditional and alternative treatments. It is not the case that they are all "pill-pushers" and you may be able to find one who is like you and interested in alternative therapies. Also, request an MRI and EEG to see if a cause/focus for your seizures can be identified. This can also help lead to better treatment and more appropriate medication choice if you decide to try medication again.

It is important to remember that there are a lot of medications out there that you haven't tried yet, and unfortunately it is trial and error to find the best medication. I went through 7 medications before finally hitting on one that has shown signs of improving seizures. It is also important to look at the percentages of times people experience certain side effects. ALL side effects have to be reported, even if only something like 1-3% of people experienced that side effect.

Good luck in your quest for seizure control.

Hi Russell, and welcome to CWE!

Just to nitpick: If you are using cannabis as part of your treatment, you aren't exactly "unmedicated" -- you're just using a medication that isn't packaged and sold by Big Pharma. :) It's great that you have found a combination of approaches that provide you with some seizure control. If you are still having a few seizures, try and track them in a journal. You may be able to identify a pattern or trigger, and you can also get a sense of whether or not your seizures are becoming more frequent or more intense. If they are changing in the wrong direction, that's a sign that some other treatment would be helpful, even one that comes from the medical establishment and comes packaged in a pill. Hopefully that won't be the case, and your alternative approaches will bring continued seizure control and good overall health.

Best,
Nakamova

I would also add one other thing--If you take a moment and look at the list of potential side effects of ibuprofin, or aspirin, or just about anything out there, the list is ridiculous and daunting. There is no question that AEDs can have some of the harsher side effects. But they can also have none. They can also have side effects that wear off after several months of use if you stick with it. I was on tegretol for the better part of 30 years and had no side effects whatsoever, whereas you and others have all kinds of problems--each med is highly individual. When I was on it, I also had no seizures (this was prior to a head injury that changed some things for me). I would take that over having 'occasional' seizures--just my personal choice, and we all have a choice in our own care. I'm on 2,500 mg of Keppra a day now and have no side effects at all now, whereas many others do--again, very individual. You won't find a lot of us on here who have a negative attitude about cannibis. Many of us use it, or CBD oil, and few of us come into this with judgement about what has helped others. You will also find most of us already have found many of the lifestyle and dietary recommendations you have made in our many years of working with our epilepsy. It isn't fully curative for everyone, though I very much hope that it is for you. If it isn't, you may want to keep an open mind about looking at other med options and know that just because several didn't work for you is no guarantee they all won't.

Hi guys,

Thanks so much for your feedback. I appreciate it lots. Most of the time it feels as though I am dealing with medical professionals that so far, have been pretty one eyed about being medicated via their recommendation only and unwilling to even discuss any kind of alternative therapy. My 2nd GP told me outright that "alternative therapies" are a load of garbage. So I guess I apologize if I seemed a bit one eyed toward the other "side" of the fence on this. I have met a new GP yesterday who is willing to accept that I am using alternative ideas and looked into finding a pharmaceutical medication that would perhaps try to compliment the alternative therapies. So I do feel a lot better about taking advice from medical professionals now. I realize I am "medicating" myself with cannabis in place of pharmaceuticals and ultimately wish to be able to find a way to do away with that too.

As for side effects of medications go, what I am most concerned about is more the long term effects on my physical body from the inside. I too have smashed my head on the concrete quite badly and understand and hold no judgement for anyone who would choose to use pharma medications. '

I have had an EEG and MRI. The results showed I have an 11mm cyst on my Pineal Gland. I did quite a bit of research into this and found that a common side effect of cysts that size (typically anything over 5mm in size) is seizures. But again my GP and Neuro both agree that its not that and I should just medicate for the rest of my life rather than investigate this any further, again my faith in the motivations of a lot of the medical world here in Australia starts to wane.

I have a prescription here for 25mg per day Lamotrigine and am going to get it filled later today and give it a try. Does anyone have any feedback on their experiences using it?

Again Thanks for your feedback already guys, really appreciate it. This is my 1st time really speaking with people in the Epilepsy world other than just my GP or neuro so.... Means a lot.

Cheers :)

I've been on lamotrigine for 6 or 7 years now, and it completely controls my tonic-clonic seizures. I don't have any major side effects. In the first few months it caused restless sleep and minor dizziness, but those side effects went away. The side effects that I experience now are dry mouth and eyes, mostly when I wake up in the morning.

The link below will take you to CWE threads about Lamotrigine/Lamictal:
http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/tags/lamictal.html

Another useful site for drug feedback is askapatient:
http://www.askapatient.com/viewrating.asp?drug=20241&name=LAMICTAL

I totally support the idea of finding a balance where pharma meds and complementary treatments provide you with the best control and the least adverse effects.

That said, something that needs to be considered are not just the side effects that are listed on the Rx info sheet. There are long term side effects to many meds that may go completely unremarked for years and years until, cumulatively, there has been a lot of damage done. These are things like damage to the kidneys, liver, thyroid, etc. There are alos the effects of long term vitamin and mineral deprivation due to the meds interfering with the absorption of nutrients in your diet.
There just is not any solid data about this. You are rolling the dice.

Those who are against alternative therapies keep harping on the lack of double blind placebo controlled, long term, large scale testing but nobody has taken a thousand people and put them on Dilantin and had another thousand as a control and monitored them for forty years to see how many in each group got renal failure or thyroid failure. How many cases of osteoporosis are just chalked up to general old age or a poor intake of calcium when it was really the AEDs blocking the absorption of your vitamin D all those years? Nobody knows.

So yes, take meds if you really need them but, just because you don't feel a side effect directly, doesn't mean it isn't happening.

There are long term side effects to many meds that may go completely unremarked for years and years until, cumulatively, there has been a lot of damage done. These are things like damage to the kidneys, liver, thyroid, etc. There are alos the effects of long term vitamin and mineral deprivation due to the meds interfering with the absorption of nutrients in your diet.
There just is not any solid data about this. You are rolling the dice.

Those who are against alternative therapies keep harping on the lack of double blind placebo controlled, long term, large scale testing but nobody has taken a thousand people and put them on Dilantin and had another thousand as a control and monitored them for forty years to see how many in each group got renal failure or thyroid failure. How many cases of osteoporosis are just chalked up to general old age or a poor intake of calcium when it was really the AEDs blocking the absorption of your vitamin D all those years? Nobody knows.

So yes, take meds if you really need them but, just because you don't feel a side effect directly, doesn't mean it isn't happening.

Well said, since what you say is true of many alternative therapies such as CBD oil, marijuana, the ketogenic and other special diets, and supplements purported to have benefits to the neurological system.

Which is more likely to cause long term harm, taking some turmeric which has been used in asian cooking for thousands of years or taking Keppra tablets which are known to alter mood and behavior?

And, once and for all, please masterjen. The ketogenic diet is not special or extreme or exotic. Ketosis is the normal functioning of a healthy human metabolism. We lived most of our lives in ketosis for most of out evolutionary history, about two and half million years. We have only been sugar burners for the past 10, 000 years since we started farming. Evolutionarily speaking, that is the blink of an eye.
There have been some negative long term effects to the keto diet as it was formulated originally relying heavily on milk products and including things with artificial ingredients like gobs of bacon and mayo. If a keto protocol is founded on paleo principals, those things are not a problem.

How is 2.5 million years of human history for a longitudinal study? That's what we have for ketosis. It's better than what is on offer for Depakote. It doesn't prove it will cure your epilepsy but it does show that it least it won't hurt you.
Or I could continue to take my Depakote, one of the "inactive ingredients" of which is parabens, substances that are known to cause cancer. But will my case of breast cancer ever be reported in the stats for Depakote? No because they don't do tests for the inactive ingredients. According to the medical/pharmaceutical world, my case of cancer is a separate and completely unrelated event. Can I prove the pills caused the cancer? No, and I'm not even certain that they did. But I know for sure that a spoonful of coconut oil once a day is never going to give me cancer.

A agree that we don't have hard data to prove that CBD oil works, but if one is considering what is more likely to do harm, I feel more comfortable with something plant based as opposed to a synthetic chemical compound any day.

Last edited:
Yes it is operable, but I can't afford the private health insurance to have it done. Even then I would have to wait 12 months. On public healthcare the wait is about 5 years.

Yes it is operable, but I can't afford the private health insurance to have it done. Even then I would have to wait 12 months. On public healthcare the wait is about 5 years.

The wait time is probably just the way things are, given the cyst is not life threatening (not that I'm saying the wait should be that long). Not being able to afford the surgery, though, is a rotten deal. Have you considered writing to a councilman, your state's governor, or even Obama himself?
Can your doctor perform the surgery and have you make the payments in affordable installments? Any help from family possible, even if it means you pay them back over time?
Hopefully someone here who is from the US responds will respond with other options and ideas for you.

Ketosis is the normal functioning of a healthy human metabolism. We lived most of our lives in ketosis for most of out evolutionary history, about two and half million years. We have only been sugar burners for the past 10, 000 years since we started farming. Evolutionarily speaking, that is the blink of an eye.
There have been some negative long term effects to the keto diet as it was formulated originally relying heavily on milk products and including things with artificial ingredients like gobs of bacon and mayo. If a keto protocol is founded on paleo principals, those things are not a problem.

Like you said, Ketosis is normal for the "healthy" human metabolism. But, Ketosis can become dangerous for those of us with Type 1 Diabetes when ketones build up in the body and cause dehydration or Ketoacidosis. That is why you don't hear of a person with Type 1 Diabetes not surviving before the 1900's. There was NO insulin. Insulin wasn't discovered until the 1920's.
And for some with Diabetes, even low blood sugar can cause a seizure.

And Epilepsy meds can cause hypoglycemia, too. But there is no way in H%#L I will try the Keto diet.

Masterjen, in case you missed it Russell is an Aussie. Writing to Obama wouldn't do him much good. :)

Cint, Ketosis and Ketoacidosis are two entirely separate and unrelated things. Conflating the two and not understanding the difference is what scares a lot of people away from trying ketosis.

I would totally agree that someone with Type 1 diabetes should be medically supervised if trying ANY new diet including a ketogenic one. Transitioning from using glucose to using ketones as the primary body fuel source could be rough if your insulin does not work right.

Once transitioned, however, on a ketogenic diet, your blood sugar remains very stable. It eliminates the blood sugar roller coaster that is caused by ingesting a lot of carbs. It is the best all natural form of blood sugar control there is.

I completely cured my father of type 2 diabetes using a paleo diet. (Yes I realize that Types 1&2 are different). I just didn't want someone with type 2 to be scared off from ketosis because someone with type 1 would have to be extra careful with it.

Cint, Ketosis and Ketoacidosis are two entirely separate and unrelated things. Conflating the two and not understanding the difference is what scares a lot of people away from trying ketosis.
That is what I meant. Ketosis is a natural thing and ketoacidosis is a build up of ketones that can lead to a coma in Type 1 diabetics.

I would totally agree that someone with Type 1 diabetes should be medically supervised if trying ANY new diet including a ketogenic one. Transitioning from using glucose to using ketones as the primary body fuel source could be rough if your insulin does not work right.

:ponder: Really?!! Tell me about it!!

Once transitioned, however, on a ketogenic diet, your blood sugar remains very stable. It eliminates the blood sugar roller coaster that is caused by ingesting a lot of carbs. It is the best all natural form of blood sugar control there is.

I DO watch my carbs, so won't go this route.

I completely cured my father of type 2 diabetes using a paleo diet. (Yes I realize that Types 1&2 are different). I just didn't want someone with type 2 to be scared off from ketosis because someone with type 1 would have to be extra careful with it.

I'm glad your dad is cured. I just don't want those with Type 1 Diabetes to think they can stop insulin once their A1C level is within range.
Same thing with E. Once seizures are under control doesn't mean one can abruptly stop taking meds. Bad things could happen.

Now, now peeps lets keep it on topic if we can please :)

I will say I used to weigh quite a lot more than I do now (lazy pizza eating period of life) and without any prior knowledge of Ketosis or any other dietary plan similar to it, I decided to lose weight with the idea in mind that I was going to eliminate some things from my diet that I noticed every time I consumed them I would feel bloated/lethargic/constipated/reflux. They were Potatoes, Breads (mostly, I still have a piece of whole meal with brekky from time to time), All fast/processed foods/all sugars that weren't natural and cut down on the natural ones also to a minimum and avoided dairy as much as i could. The most being the butter i use to cook (margarine/spreads are BAAAAD) and the milk I have in my coffee/tea.

Basically I discovered that I was unwittingly following what they called the Human Interference Index. I lost a lot of weight real fast and no longer craved sugars or carbs, however I still enjoyed them as a treat from time to time but at ANY time of the day, the idea of a steak with veggies made me hungry. The fact was, I lost a shitload of weight in a healthy way, am really quite fit and buff now, love fresh healthy food, my insides work 10000000X better than they used to without any mention of anything EXTREME about anything to do with the diet. Ketosis is a state of physical being where you no longer burn sugar/carbs for fuel but you burn fat instead. I did not need to achieve this in its entirety to still feel the benefits of it and without lacking ANY of my dietary requirements.

The cyst I believe is likely to be tied into my seizures, the pre and post seizure experiences I have would suggest that the Pineal part of the brain might be stimulated.... Again I am only going on some limited research I have had access to and I guess a speculative part of me is hoping that what I see as common sense, actually is common sense. Cyst on brain thats bigger than should be > Seizures >Medication? or...... Operation........ Ugh, I tell you what, the seizures are definitely difficult to manage, but the psychosis that comes with trying to beat/manage/understand/control them can be waaay worse.

Thank you all for your input, I appreciate it all. I like that there are people here with different opinions that are willing to share and defend them through their own experiences and research. If there is one thing I am already starting to notice that I think we can all agree on here, is that everyone's experience with seizures/epilepsy is different, some very very similar but no 2 are the same. I'll make sure to remember and appreciate that fact a lot more from now on.

Cheers guys :D

Russell

Last edited:
Sorry for not note where you were from, Russ, when I mentioned writing to your governor, Obama, etc. I got lost in the rest of your post and forgot your initial mention of your location. I completely understand the hesitation about surgery, even if it is an option. You also taught me something: I thought health care in Australia was more like Canada, where tax dollars pay for a lot of medical care (including operations).

Sorry for not note where you were from, Russ, when I mentioned writing to your governor, Obama, etc. I got lost in the rest of your post and forgot your initial mention of your location. I completely understand the hesitation about surgery, even if it is an option. You also taught me something: I thought health care in Australia was more like Canada, where tax dollars pay for a lot of medical care (including operations).

Haha its ok, being from Australia isnt the biggest thing to brag about at the moment lol. As for the surgery, I want to have it done and Australia's tax funded public health care is indeed better than most countries. But this surgery at the moment is being deemed non-life threatening so its considered to be elective. The average wait for that is 5 years plus.

Back
Top Bottom