Nightime Seizures

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

cp611

New
Reaction score
I had my first grand mal seizure in January of 2009. That seizure and about the next 4 were all in daytime.

Recently I have been having nighttime seizures - the most recent were, one I had last month around this same time, and one was last week.

My question is if it is likely to have both daytime and nighttime seizures? I read somewhere it is unlikely but I was curious as to what your thoughts are on nighttime seizures. Currently I am on 100mg of Dilantin 4 times a day, and I hate it because my gums are overgrowing and it makes me very tired.

My Dr. told me to go do a sleep study and said that if I have this sleep thing it can cause seizures at night and then not having had enough sleep can also cause seizures during the day.

This whole thing is just very stressful for me...I feel for all of you! :e:

Welcome cp611

I don't know if it's likely to have nocturnal as well as daytime seizures but I don't think it's unusual.

I never used to have them at night unless something was very wrong. Recently I've been getting them every 2nd night or more. There are other people that only have them at night.

As for not enough sleep being a trigger for your seizures, that seems to be a trigger for a lot of people no matter when they are likely to get their seizures.

Meanwhile, good luck on the sleep study. Don't get too stressed, I personally find them fun. Also remember that stress is another trigger for seizures so don't let it worry you. It's really not worth worrying about.

Hi cp611, welcome!

I've had grand mal seizures during the day and also at night. I don't think it's uncommon to have both -- it may depend a bit on how frequently you have seizures in general, and what your particular seizure triggers might be. Fatigue is a major seizure trigger, so it might not hurt to have a sleep study in case there's something going on. But you can also have nocturnal seizures without necessarily having sleep issues.

There are plenty of other ant-seizure meds for you to try, you don't have to stay on Dilantin. Dilantin affected my gums too, so I switched off of it (I'm currently on Lamictal).

Best,
Nakamova

Dr Blaylock believes that nighttime seizures can often be diagnosed as a sugar imbalance > hypoglycemia. This goes undiagnosed most often.

Most of my seizures are at night, however I do get them at other times.

Blaylock

Dr Blaylock believes that nighttime seizures can often be diagnosed as a sugar imbalance > hypoglycemia. This goes undiagnosed most often.

Dr. Blaylock has been shown to give un-healthy advice & is not respected by most doctors. He speaks out against science based medicine, vaccinations & promotes very unhealthy behaviour.
Allegations of health dangers

Blaylock has been quoted several times in media outlets regarding his position that MSG is toxic to the brain.[11][12][13] He also states that the widely-used artificial sweetener aspartame is toxic[14][15] and may be the cause of multiple sclerosis.[16] He has additionally cautioned against heavy use of the artificial sweetener Splenda (sucralose).[17] These positions are not supported by scientific consensus or regulatory bodies, as extensive studies support the safety of aspartame, sucralose, and MSG.[2][3][18]

Blaylock has also urged avoidance of the swine flu (H1N1) vaccination, which he claims is more dangerous than the infection itself. In various alternative media outlets, Blaylock has given advice on what he feels an individual should do if faced with mandatory vaccination.[19] Current research indicates that an effective vaccine is a vital tool in protecting the public and that the new H1N1 vaccine is both safe and effective.[4][20] Advertisements selling the 'Blaylock Wellness Report' at newsmax.com contain claims of additional health dangers, including fluoridated drinking water, fluoridated toothpaste, vaccines, dental amalgam, cholesterol drugs, pesticides, and aluminum cookware.[21]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russell_Blaylock#Allegations_of_health_dangers

Blaylock has retired from neurosurgery and has taken up a career opposing science-based medicine and promoting pseudoscience-based medicine and supplements that he sells under the label Brain Repair Formula. He suggests that his supplements can treat and prevent such diseases as Alzheimer's and Parkinson's.
http://www.skepdic.com/blaylock.html

Thank you Robin, however since I am not suffering ONLY nighttime seizures, and have had multiple tests done, I doubt that is the case.

My main question was wether people have nighttime and daytime seizures and if it is more serious if you have both?

I don't think "when" someone has a seizure makes it more serious or less serious.

I would think that seizures intensity and frequency (how strong & how often) would determine how serious it is.

I've had a few night time seizures as well as day time seizures. I also have diabetes and have had low blood sugar (hypoglycemia) at night time as well as during the day, also. When this happens, I have to take some extra sugar. I sometimes feel lightheaded, shaky, like I'm going to faint, but so far, I haven't fainted. Sometimes, I don't feel it, even when my blood sugar is down in the 50's. It's not been a cause for seizures for me. And I check my blood sugar levels numerous times a day. Sometimes in the middle of the night, also.

My seizures started at night, then started having in the day.

I have been on dilantin for about 39 years now. It has worked good for my siezures.
HOWEVER with long time use of this medic. it has caused me to be B-12 defici. and I have neupathy in my feet. After long time use it is also playing a role in my body not being unable to absorb the nutrition from foods and supplements.

I didn't have the gum problems.

Tried to find a diff. medic. to try now.

I wish you the best.

Thank you everyone for all of your answers and support.

I thought I would also share with you some information I received from my doctor today.

My sleep doctor who performed a sleep study on me said the following:

I had 22 central sleep apnea events, and 84 respitory events that night.

Central sleep apnea is when your brain forgets to tell your body to breathe.

Respitory events are when anything may be blocking your airways.

Both apparently prevent oxygen from getting into your blood and wake up your brain thus not allowing you to get enough sleep.

My doctor said this could be causing seizures at night and during the day (since I wouldn't be getting enough sleep).

I am scheduled to meet with him regarding CPAP and discussing some other things.

He said there is no way to know for sure if seizures are causing sleep apnea or if sleep apnea is causing seizures and he noted they are still researching this heavily.

I am excited to move forward but am somewhat disappointed that not enough information is known. Has anyone else been diagnosed with sleep apnea, where seizures stopped after being treated? Or does anyone know more information on the whole sleep apnea & epilepsy topic?

I was diagnose with sleep apnea in 2005, I was told that I should 1st try the dental appliance that moves you jaw forward, letting the air in. DDS office assure me that they had approval from my insur. - THEY DIDN"T - but I had already started with this. So if this is what I need I just have to go ahead. Didn't work out.

So I then tried the CPAP machine. AGAIN was told they had approval from insur.. THEY DIDN"T - this worked for a while.

So then I had Bilateral Turbinatectoury surgery done. Was told by the surgeon, that he couldn't understand why I was advise to use the other because I had so much swelling in my noise that it was almost closed, which wouldn't allow the other two to work like they are design to.

I called my insur. this time, had copies of all paperwork send to me. I still had to pay around 1200.00 - But it was worth it.

Hope my money can help someone else.

ALL of them help in the fact that I did get more oxygen at night, woke up no headache and more energy.

i only get my seizures on a night i have never ever had a seizure during the day, its very weird, what was the sleep study thing ya doc reccomended to you?

Well everyone I thought I would update you briefly and hopefully advocate to everyone suffering seizures to get a sleep study done. I am currently on 400mg/day Dilantin and am still having seizures (primarily when I am waking up). My neurologist (My 6th one I'm seeing) had recommended a sleep study and 48 hr EEG. He was the first neuro to even mention sleep apnea or a sleep study (including Mayo Clinic docs).

I got all tests done and got results. 48 hr EEG was normal. I had 84 respitory events and 22 central sleep apnea events. I am not exactly sure what these mean but was places in the borderline high - moderate cases of sleep apnea. I will get more info next week. It is refreshing knowing a neuro is taking chances rather than simply putting me on more medicine. According to my neuro sleep apnea could be causing seizures. I guess well see more next week.

cp611 i am going to suggest a night study and get another eeg done with my neuroligist because i dont think mine is epilepsy. jyearta thanx 4 the link, 6th one? yes it is gud knowing your neuroligist is takin chances rather than just assuming, gud luck with it keep me posted.

My ONLY concern with this is that most of the cases I have read about where sleep apnea was the case, all seizures happened at night. When I first started having seizures the first 5 were during the day, the rest have been at night. My neurologist says this is possible due to the brain not getting enough rest causing seizures during the day, where at night your not getting enough oxygen. I still don't really comprehend this. Have any of you heard a case where sleep apnea was the answer and seizures occurred both day and night?

Back
Top Bottom