Nightime Seizures

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

I've had seizures in all three states -

While awake

When falling asleep, just at the precipice of falling asleep, when im dozing off. thats the worst time for me since my brain is inbetween awake and asleep and I've put myself into a seizure by staying awake and letting my body falll asleep - self induced

And during sleep, when i wake up feeling all beat up

oooo bless ya. i got no recognition of mine tbh and its scary as mine only happened in my sleep, but when i woke my tounge would be bruised and aches and pains all over

Are all of these seizures from sleep apnea? Did you get that diagnosis? I'm just curious if sleep apnea can cause seizures at night and during the day?

Are all of these seizures from sleep apnea? Did you get that diagnosis? I'm just curious if sleep apnea can cause seizures at night and during the day?

I don't see why not. If you're not getting enough oxygen at night then wouldn't your body be trying to catch up on its deficiency for at least part of the day?

I don't have sleep apnea but my husband does - he stops breathing while sleeping, for 30 seconds, sometimes longer. his heart stops beating too. I beg him to get treatment. he does not believe its as bad as how i describe it, but he's sleeping, so he can't see the symptoms.

I used to know this guy who would fall asleep while talking to you...he would pass out, wake up a minute later and continue the conversation. I hope he got help for his condition. This is different than obstructive sleep apnea [the kind that my husband has]

The reason my sleep study was order was because I complained of fatigue. And with the S.S. it did show I wasn't getting enough oxygen.

With everything I posted in my above post, I could tell a difference in my energy level.

My S.S. did not reveal anything on my seizure--that I was told of.

Good Luck

Jyearta is that why you were havin seizures at nigjt because you werent getting enough oxygen? i kniw i sometimes hold my breath when im asleep and awake i dont realise i am doing it. Do you think this could be the reason im having mine? ano ur not a doc or anything lol but thought i would ask with all this happening to you.

Jyearta is that why you were havin seizures at nigjt because you werent getting enough oxygen? i kniw i sometimes hold my breath when im asleep and awake i dont realise i am doing it. Do you think this could be the reason im having mine? ano ur not a doc or anything lol but thought i would ask with all this happening to you.

I'm sorry, if I gave you the wrong impression.

I don't have seizures at night, My neur. order the SS, when I conplained of fatigue.
The oxygen I rec'ed from all three methods did help me feel better and I didn't wake up with a headache.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, because lack of sleep is #1 seizure trigger. It's not unusual to have a cycle where nocturnal seizures = poor sleep = daytime seizures.

i never have had a seizure during the day only ever on a night at the same time every month. im jus confused my neuroligist is useless too.

I have had both night AND daytime seizures. My firdt Grand Mal was in my sleep, and my 2nd was during the daytime. The 3rd and 4th were in the night also...so, I gues the answer to your question is yes...it's possible to have them in daytime and nighttime both.

i have never had 1 during the day only on a night, never had 1 4 nearly a year now but the medication and the side affects are unreal.

I have day/night seizures and I can honestly tell you that it doesn't matter when I have one...it's all the same. I can have a mild or intense one at any time; although my wife would prefer fore me to have them in the day time and not in bed! I had 2 sleep studies done and was told I had sleep apnea and got a machine...all for not! I'd been having seizures the whole time. Praying for you...God bless.

hi soupfly thanx for commenting, i personnaly dont think mine are seizures, i had brain scan and eeg done and they both came back fine, i hate this medication i am on the side affects are so intense. aww bles yas hope ya get sorted n thanx

I have bad both nighttime grad mals seizures and day time petite mal seizures. I don't knwo what causes them.

I have hd many of those studies as well and nothign conclusive ever cam out of them for me. Just that I have a seizure disorder and they can't tell me why or how to stop it.

If the dilantin that you are taking is 1 making yous gums grow, and 2 not working then I would be more concerned about changing my meds. nothing works the same for everyone. good luck and keep up your positive attitude.

Back
Top Bottom