Becoming a Grandma Soon! Happening!

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Pinkattitude

Stalwart
Reaction score
So, at today's "stress test" appointment, my daughter's significant other asked the Ob/Gyn what they do if they need to induce labor.

Background: both of my children were 2 weeks "late," and each was born at the right time. I had an Ob/Gyn tell me that the + or - "error" on the end of the formula for calculating a "due date" is 2 weeks. So, when the Ob/Gyn says "you're 2 weeks over due," what they really are saying is, "you might be right on time, or you might be 4 weeks over due, or somewhere in between." My degree is in Statistics, so this is how I can relate to things.

So, anyway, my daughter has NEVER liked pharmaceuticals. As an infant, she screamed at any attempt to sneak an antibiotic into her. We gave up. She's very healthy. So it did not surprise me that when the Dr told her how they induce labor, she freaked out and is trying to get that child to come naturally - NOW? :roflmao: This is my dear daughter!

So, she swallowed castor oil, and drank some peppermint tea, and she's sort of laboring. :banana:

Sort of, I say, because she's not calling out in pain, and she's not visually uncomfortable, and this is her first. So, I think this child will be born over the weekend. Mama is ready, the child has gestated long enough, and, most important: Great Auntie returns from a 25th anniversary vacation with her husband Saturday night. My daughter will be so comfortable with her Auntie there. The stars are aligning! :clap:

We welcome any prayers, thoughts, meditations, or kind words thrown our way during this process!

Thank you so much! This child is so welcomed, already, into the community we are in! I have friends daily wanting to come by the house to hold the baby, and she's not here, yet! It's so wonderful to feel the love flowing through the world :)

:hugs:

My best friend from high school has six kids all of whom were "late". She swears that the best natural way to induce labor is an orgasm. I am totally not kidding. So maybe your daughter could get the father to be to help with that. :)

Best wishes to mother and baby and the whole family. Keep us posted when you can.

I am SO excited for you! I had 3 inductions for various reasons. Only got an epidural for the 1st, it sucked.. :p

I wish her an easy, uneventful birth with a beautiful, healthy baby.

Thank you Aloha and CathyAnn!

My daughter did the castor oil because she is just scared of drugs and really doesn't want any in her baby. Gotta wonder if all that phenobarbital in my system did that to her! But I think she inherited her father's sensitivity to drugs - they only need half what the "average" person would take, usually. And they are more sensitive to caffeine, too.

But, she's still pregnant (much to her dismay), and my friend hops on a plane back from Hawaii soon. I think this child wants her Great Auntie here :)

Oh, and she had a great nurse at her appointment yesterday! This woman actually did suggest sex to help induce labor :D So their door was closed last night! I love nurses who will suggest those tried and true methods :)

Did she sweep her membranes? That can help get things going, along with sex, lots of walking and nipple stimulation. All caster oil did to me was cause some severe stomach pains.

She is SO close!!!

Ya know, a doctor "stripped" my membranes (with out asking permission, mind you). And it did not work at all. But then, castor oil was magic for both of my children! :)

She's walking lots and the nipple stimulation is also happening. From what she's said, the castor oil hasn't caused anything "unpleasant." But then, she's so grumpy right now, she's talking with her Auntie much more than with me! :D

I once heard something about walking down a street with one foot up going along the curb. Sounds extremely dangerous, lol.

She's not keen on pitocin is she? I'll go back and read your original post. :p

She does not want pitocin! Plus, it's supposed to make contractions stronger, and she's got very strong stomach muscles because she's an athlete, so it sounds like a recipe for more pain than necessary to me.

Plus i think it's a knee jerk reaction to having been born with drugs in her own system due to my e drugs (not sure how I survived on the HIGH dose of phenobarb I was on). Not that she consciously remembers any of it!

Thank you, Emerald :)

We're still hoping this child comes on her own. For about a week, my daughter has what she calls contractions in the evening/night. They aren't so strong she can't speak, so they're not maternity ward worthy. Twice I've thought they were getting serious. But, they wane.

So, who knows? This child has a mind of her own, already! They do stress tests twice a week, and they have given her high scores every time. I'm done predicting :roflmao:

Of all the people out there, those of us with e should know that things never happen the way we think they will.

Oh that poor mama! I bet she's so tired of waiting. I hated being pregnant in the end, it was so hard on me and all I wanted was my baby!!

One day closer. :)

Emerald, you are correct - unpredictable is something that happens. However, there were 30 years of my life where my e was controlled. During that time, with the phenobarbital ruling my system, I was very predictable. My husband - who is the unpredictable one in the marriage - giggles at my predictability and keeps trying to get me to do new things because he likes to do new things :)

Cathy, you are so right, one day closer! My empathetic side just feels so sorry for her because I was also a mama who really really disliked those last few weeks - especially with my son where they were in the heat of the summer :-( And, like a mama, I want to take her hurt away. Irrational, I know, but it's one of those things we mamas do when we can and when it's best for the child.

Practicing Patience! :D

My siblings and I were all induced (there are 5 of us). But that was relatively common back then. The doctor would call up my mother and say "I'm delivering a few other babies on Friday, why don't you come on in so I can deliver yours too."

We all turned out fine, but I'm glad things have changed! Pinkattitude, your grandchild will be here soon, and of course well worth the wait...

Granddaughter is here :) Healthy, lots of hair, 7 pounds 9 ounces and 21 1/2" long.

And, after all the fuss, they looked at her and said, "she doesn't look like a 42 week baby at all!" :roflmao: I could have told them that :D

Thank you for your prayers, meditations, kind thoughts, and messages :hugs:

:wave:

Congrats to the whole family and welcome to the newest member.

All that fuss will be long forgotten in a week or two.

Congrats!! I know everyone in your family, especially you, is thrilled. :hugs:

This is your wonderful moment!! It's time to :cheers:

Everyone in the family will be there soon and you will go :banana:

You are all :clap: now and rightly so.

You are a grandmother!! :hugs:

Back
Top Bottom