This Day in Country Music

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Since you are from Oklahoma do you like "Okie from Muskogee"? I guess it is your state song, right? Ours is "West Virginia Hills" and is about someone who has left the state and was wishing he was back home. Why do we have a state song about leaving the state? It sounds like they expect you to want to get out. Honestly with the job situation it is clear why they say half of West Virginia works in Ohio. Hey, that would be a good thread. What is your state song about.:ponder:

I like "Okie from Muskogee", but it's not our state song. Merle Haggard isn't even from Oklahoma. I've always wondered why he wrote that song. There's other songs I like better about Oklahoma, but I like it.

"Oklahoma" is our state song.

Last edited:
Birthdays:-
1911 Farris Coursey born in Mt Pleasant, Tennessee
1915 Bonnie Blue Eyes born Loeta Applegate in Jefferson County, Kentucky - Started working in radio with Bob Atcher whom she married in 1935 - Toured with Gene Autry's Melody Ranch in 1941 - Recorded "The War Baby's Prayer" & "Seven Years With The Wrong Man" for Conqueror - "The Lonesome Mountain" & "The Picture On The Old Mantle" for Vocalion
1919 *Bill Hay born in Charters Towers, Queensland William Holt Hay - Australian Father of Bush Poetry - Died September 7 2006
1928 Urel Albert born Chicago, Illinois - Comedian/impressionist - Only single to reach Top 100 was "Country And Pop Music" - #97 in 1973 - Died April 29 1992
1931 Sonny Burgess born in Newport, Arkansas - Rockabilly singer
1944 Rita MacNeil born Big Pond, Cape Breton Island, Nova Scotia, Canada - Country & folk singer, songwriter who recorded her first album "Born A Woman" in 1975 - Hosted a CBC television variety show "Rita and Friends" from 1994-1997 - Her best known song in Australia is 'Working Man" which has been recorded by many country singers - Rita was made a Member of the Order of Canada in 1992 and was awarded the Order of Nova Scotia in 2005 - "Songs My Mother Loved" was released in May 2006 - She runs a tea room in her hometown of Big Pond
1945 John Fogarty born in Berkeley, California
1945 Gary Stewart born in Letcher County, Kentucky
1956 Jerry Douglas born in Warren, Ohio - Dobro player
1956 Brent Rowan born in Waxahachie, Texas - Guitarist/session player
1965 Phil Vasser born in Lynchburg, Virginia
---- *Dave Debs born

Died:-
2001 Gene Davis died - Lead vocalist for the Palomino Club's house band "Star Routers"

Events:-
1967 Barbara Mandrell married Ken Dudney in Oceanside, California

Recorded:-

Released:-
1996 Tony Rice "Tony Rice Sings Gordon Lightfoot" album released on Rounder

Charted:-
1960 *Lucky Starr - "Wrong" single debuted on the Australian Top 40 Chart at #38 peaking at #31
1966 Buck Owens "Dust On Mothers Bible" album charted to #1
1966 Del Reeves "Distant Drum" album charted to #1
1966 Bonnie Guitar "Two Worlds" album charted to #15 - Her biggest hit
1977 Lynn Anderson "I Love What Love Is Doing To Me" single charted to #22
1977 Roy Clark "My Music & Me/Vocal & Instrumental" album charted to #38 - Double LP
1983 Bobby Bare"The Jogger" single charted to #29
1983 Elvis Presley "I Was The One" album charted to #35 - 11 rockabilly tracks 1956-1960
1988 Glen Campbell"I Have You" single charted to #7
1988 Sweethearts Of The Rodeo "One Time, One Night" album charted to #11
1988 Skip Ewing "The Coast Of Colorado" album charted to #29
1988 Earl Thomas Conley "The Heart Of It All" album charted to #33
1994 Travis Tritt "Ten Feet Tall And Bulletproof" album charted to #3
1994 Lorrie Morgan "War Paint" album charted to #7

1916 Carl Story born in Lenoir, North Carolina - Bluegrass singer/songwriter
1925 Danny Davis born George Nowlan in Dorchester, Massachusets

1950 Mother Maybelle & The Carter Sisters join the Grand Ole Opry
1952 Hank Williams and Audrey Williams divorced

1995 Prairie Oyster "Only One Moon" album released on Arista
2001 Brad Paisley "Part II" album released on Arista

1961 Eddy Arnold "(Jim) I Wore A Tie Today" single charted to #27
1971 Tommy Cash "Cash Country" album charted to #20
1971 David Houston "A Woman Always Knows" album charted to #22
1971 Freddy Weller "Another Night Of Love" album charted to #22 - Originally released as "The Promised Land"
1971 Ferlin Husky "One More Time" album charted to #35
1975 Freddy Fender "Before The Next Teardrop Falls" single debuted on the Australian Top 40 Chart at #39 peaking at #4
1982 Alabama "Take Me Down" single charted to #1
1982 Rosanne Cash "Ain't No Money" single charted to #4
1982 Barbara Mandrell "...In Black & White" album charted to #7
1982 Conway Twitty "Number Ones" album charted to #20
1982 Gary Stewart & Dean Dillon "Brotherly Love" album charted to #23
1982 Bobby Bare "If You Ain't Got Nothin' ( You Ain't Got Nothin' To Lose)" single charted to #31
1993 Wynonna "Tell Me Why" album charted to #1
1993 Carlene Carter "Every Little Thing" single charted to #3 - Her biggest hit
1993 Little Texas "Big Time" album charted to #6 - Their biggest hit
1999 Susan Ashton "You're Lucky I Love You" single charted to #37
2004 Gretchen Wilson "Redneck Woman" single hit #1

1909 Lewis Crook born in Trousdale County, Tennessee
1912 Alcyone Bate Beasley born in Castallian Springs, Tennessee - Grand Ole Opry performer
1926 Johnny Gimble born near Tyler, Texas - Fiddler
1942 Tom Collins born in Lenoir, Texas - Producer/publisher
1944 Meridith MacRae born in Houston, Texas - Actress daughter of Gordon MacRae - She played the third Billie Jo in "Petticoat Junction" from 1966-1970 replacing Gunilla Hutton
1960 Mike Snider born in Gleason, Tennessee
1964 Wynonna Judd born Christine Clairs Ciminella in Ashland, Kentucky
1974 Jarrid Lee Matlock born - Started singing at the Oklahoma Opry in 1996

1971 Audie Murphy died in a small plane crash in Carroll County, Virginia - World War II hero who became a film star mostly in westerns & war movies
1972 Dave Apollon died age 75 - Traditional bluegrass/mandolin
1975 Claude Lampley died age 79 - Fruit Jar Drinkers
1979 Karl Victor Davis died age 73 - The Cumberland Ridge Runners and WLS's National Barn Dance
1986 "Papa" Joe Brown died in Chesley, Ontario, Canada - The Family Brown
1987 *James "Jazzer" Smith died
1987 Joe 'Papa Joe' Brown died - Joe and The Happy Wanderers performed on CHML Main Street Jamboree - Ottawa Valley Country Music Hall Of Fame (1983) - Born 30 August 1925
2006 *Shirley Mathies died in Toowoomba, Queensland age 63 - First country music presenter on Community Radio 4DDB FM102.7 Toowoomba in late 1970's - early 1980's - Worked on commercial radio 4WK Warwick/Toowoomba - One of the driving forces behind the Toowoomba Country Music Club - Country music supporter of visiting country music shows in Toowoomba especially at the Newtown Leagues Club, involved in promoting, booking and door/sales - Born 9 April 1943
2006 Bobby Harden died age 70 - Singer/songwriter whose family group the Harden Trio had success in the 1960's with "Tippy Toeing Songwriting with "Poor Boy", "Home", "Hell Stays Open All Night", "Talking To Hank", "I've Got A Picture Of You On My Mind" & "Too Cold At Home" - (Born June 27 1935)

1821 *Perth Tasmania, in what was then Van Diemen's Land was selected as a site by Governor Macquarie
1872 *Thursday Island And Other Islands In Torres Strait within 97 km of the mainland are annexed to Queensland
1966 Dolly Parton married Carl Dean in Catoosa County, Georgia
1982 Deborah Allen married songwriter Rafe Van Hoy
1990 "Some Of These Days" began on BBC Radio 2 - A quiz game which takes the day of transmission as it's subject

1993 *Rex & Noelene Franklin started recording "Out Behind The Barn" album at RowanStudio, Kapunga, Taranaki, New Zealand to 2 July 1993

1960 Ernest Ashworth "Each Moment (Spent With You)" single charted to #4
1970 Del Reeves & Penny DeHaven "Land Mark Tavernsingle duet charted to #20
1970 Marty Robbins "My Woman, My Woman My Wife" album charted to #2
1970 Jack Blanchard & Misty Morgan "Birds Of A Feather" album charted to #16
1970 Lynn Anderson "Stay There 'Til I Get There" album charted to #28
1970 Liz Anderson "Husband Hunting" album charted to #36
1981 David Frizzell & Shelly West "Carryin' On The Family Names" album charted to #6 - Her biggest hit
1987 Randy Travis "Always & Forever" album charted to #1 - His biggest hit
1987 Glen Campbell with Steve Wariner "The Hand That Rocks The Cradle" single charted to #6
1987 T Graham Brown "Brilliant Conversationalist" single charted to #9
1987 Asleep At The Wheel "House Of Blue Lights" single charted to #17
1992 Mary Chapin Carpenter "I Feel Lucky" single charted to #4
1992 Shenandoah "Long Time Comin'" album charted to #34

1916 Odell "Mac" MacLeod in Roanoke, Alabama - Singer/songwriter
1922 Vic Willis born in Schulter, Oklahoma
1931 Clint Eastwood born in San Francisco, California - Actor who played Rowdy Yates" in the TV Western Rawhide" for eight years - Other Westerns include "Fistful Of Dollars" in 1964 "For A Few Dollars More" in 1965 "The Good, The Bad And The Ugly" in 1966 - He starred in the "Dirty Harry" movies
1938 Johnny Paycheck born Donald Eugene Lytle in Greenfield Ohio - Died Feb 18 2003
1954 Paul Franklin born in Detroit, Michigan - Steel guitarist
1967 Ed Adkins born - The Derailers
---- *Tommy Emmanuel born

1977 LLoyd Perryman died in Colorado Springs age 60 - Sons Of The Pioneers
1990 Red Rector died age 60 - Vocals/mandolin

1821 *Campbell Town Tasmania, in what was then Van Diemen's Land was selected as a site by Governor Macquarie
1950 *Sale Victoria proclaimed a city
2006 Karen Fairchild married Jimi Westbrook both members of Little Big Town

2002 Aubrey Haynie finished recording "The Bluegrass Fiddle Album" at Quad Studios, Nashville, Tennessee - Released on Sugar Hill

1994 Shenandoah "Super Hits" album released
1994 The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band "Acoustic" album released on Liberty
2008 *Johanna Hemara "Goodnight Sweetheart" album released - Sydney singer, songwriter, yodeller who won Australian Yodel, Australia'a first ever stand alone yodelling competition at the Bavarian Lowenbrau Keller restaurant, Sydney - Second was Leisa Bye and equal third Vicki Walsh & Christen

1947 Eddy Arnold "It's A Sin"/ single charted to #1
1969 Billie Jo Spears "Mr Walker, It's All Over" album charted to #26
1969 Henson Cargill "This Generation Shall Not Pass" single charted to #40
1969 Norro Wilson "Dedicated To: Only You" album charted to #40
1975 Johnny Rodriguez "Just Get Up And Close The Door" album charted to #5
1975 Dorsey Burnette "Molly (I Ain't Gettin' Any Younger" single charted to #28
1975 Susan Raye "Whatcha Gonna Do With A Dog Like That" album charted to #33
1980 Alabama "Tennessee River" single charted to #1
1980 Emmylou Harris "Roses In The Snow" album charted to #2
1980 Rosanne Cash "Take Me, Take Me" single charted to #25
1985 *Redgum "The Drover's Dog" single debuted on the Australian Top 40 Chart at #25 peaking at #5
1986 Billy Joe Royal "Looking Ahead" album charted to #21
1986 Michael Johnson "Wings" album charted to #26
1997 Kenny Chesney "She's Got It All" single charted to #1
1997 Lee Ann Womack self titled album charted to #9

1896 Elsie McWilliams born in Harperville, Mississippi - Jimmie Rodgers sister-in-law co-wrote 39 songs with Jimmie including "My Little Lady", "The Sailors Plea", "Mississippi Moon", "Yodelling Cowboy"
1915 Johnny Bond born Cyrus Whitfield Bond in Enville, Oklahoma - Died June 12 1978 in Burbank, California
1920 Esmereldy born Verna Sherrill in Middleton, Tennessee - Known as the Streamlined Hillbilly. She became a country headliner in the 40's as a radio/recording/film personality. Her daughter Amy Holland became a pop artist in the 80's
1926 Andy Griffith - Mount Airy, North Carolina
1926 Ronald D. Scott born in Amherst, Nova Scotia, Canada - In 1947 he toured with Hank Snow playing fiddle and mandolin - His bands include "the Riders Of The Southern Trail" & in 1955 "Cinch Brothers" - The later recorded the first bluegrass record in Canada "When The Bees Are In The Hive, "Thw White Rose"
1934 Pat Boone born Charles Eugene Boone Jacksonville, Florida
1941 Wayne Kemp born in Greenwood, Arkansas
1953 Ronnie Dunn born in Coleman, Texas
1962 Susi Beatty born in Alexandria, Virginia - "Heart From A Stone" charted to #65 in 1989
---- *Jim Kiley
---- *Mandy Jean Miller - Kyogle NSW
---- Paula James born in Ohio
---- Ronnie Bond

1930 *The Cheaters the first Australian movie with sound, premieres at the Roxy Theatre in Parramatta, Sydney, N.S.W.
1957 The Everly Brothers debuted on the Grand Ole Opry
1960 *First Official Television Broadcast in New Zealand from AKTV2 in Auckland - The two hour introduction included an episode of "The Adventures of Robin Hood" a live interview with a visiting British ballerina and a performance from the Howard Morrison Quartet - Initially the service comprised 2 hours of programs; two nights a week and this was extended to five nights a week in October 1960
1961 *Christchurch, New Zealand received it's first television service through Channel 3
1964 Dolly Parton moved to Nashville, Tennessee
1971 Elvis Presley's birthplace in Tupelo, Mississippi was opened to the public
2002 Mary Chapin Carpenter wed Timmy Smith in Balesville, Virginia

1942 Roy Acuff - "The Prodigal Son" & "Low And Lonely" for Okeh
1951 Lefty Frizzell recorded the Top 10 single, "Travellin Blues"
1953 Carl Story - "My Lord Keeps a Record" for Mercury
1955 Justin Tubb recorded "All Alone" & "Within Your Arms" for Decca
1955 Patsy Cline - "A Church, A Courtroom and Then Goodbye" at her first recording session for Coral

1999 Mac McAnally "Simple Life" album released on Warner Brothers
1999 Delbert McClinton "The Ultimate Collection" album released on Hip-O
1999 Eck Robertson "Old Time Texas Fiddler 1922-1929" album released on County
1999 Tony Ellis "Quaker Girl" album released on County
2001 Yvonne DeVaney - "A Good Thing" album released
2005 *Ivan Collins "Unpredictable" album released
2008 *Lana Ross launched her debut album "Stories To Tell" in her hometown of Mackay

1959 Johnny Horton's "The Battle of New Orleans" went to #1 on the Billboard Top 40
1968 Bill Anderson "Wild Weekend" album charted to #10
1968 Merrillee Rush & The Turnabouts "Angel of the Morning" charted to #7 on Billboard Top 40
1985 Kim Carnes - "Crazy in the Night (Barking at Airplanes)" charted to #15 on Billboard Top 40
1985 Hank Williams Jr "Five-O" album charted to #1 - His third #1 album

1896 Elsie McWilliams born in Harperville, Mississippi - Jimmie Rodgers sister-in-law co-wrote 39 songs with Jimmie including "My Little Lady", "The Sailors Plea", "Mississippi Moon", "Yodelling Cowboy"
1915 Johnny Bond born Cyrus Whitfield Bond in Enville, Oklahoma - Died June 12 1978 in Burbank, California
1920 Esmereldy born Verna Sherrill in Middleton, Tennessee - Known as the Streamlined Hillbilly. She became a country headliner in the 40's as a radio/recording/film personality. Her daughter Amy Holland became a pop artist in the 80's
1926 Andy Griffith - Mount Airy, North Carolina
1926 Ronald D. Scott born in Amherst, Nova Scotia, Canada - In 1947 he toured with Hank Snow playing fiddle and mandolin - His bands include "the Riders Of The Southern Trail" & in 1955 "Cinch Brothers" - The later recorded the first bluegrass record in Canada "When The Bees Are In The Hive, "Thw White Rose"
1934 Pat Boone born Charles Eugene Boone Jacksonville, Florida
1941 Wayne Kemp born in Greenwood, Arkansas
1953 Ronnie Dunn born in Coleman, Texas
1962 Susi Beatty born in Alexandria, Virginia - "Heart From A Stone" charted to #65 in 1989
---- *Jim Kiley
---- *Mandy Jean Miller - Kyogle NSW
---- Paula James born in Ohio
---- Ronnie Bond

1930 *The Cheaters the first Australian movie with sound, premieres at the Roxy Theatre in Parramatta, Sydney, N.S.W.
1957 The Everly Brothers debuted on the Grand Ole Opry
1960 *First Official Television Broadcast in New Zealand from AKTV2 in Auckland - The two hour introduction included an episode of "The Adventures of Robin Hood" a live interview with a visiting British ballerina and a performance from the Howard Morrison Quartet - Initially the service comprised 2 hours of programs; two nights a week and this was extended to five nights a week in October 1960
1961 *Christchurch, New Zealand received it's first television service through Channel 3
1964 Dolly Parton moved to Nashville, Tennessee
1971 Elvis Presley's birthplace in Tupelo, Mississippi was opened to the public
2002 Mary Chapin Carpenter wed Timmy Smith in Balesville, Virginia

1942 Roy Acuff - "The Prodigal Son" & "Low And Lonely" for Okeh
1951 Lefty Frizzell recorded the Top 10 single, "Travellin Blues"
1953 Carl Story - "My Lord Keeps a Record" for Mercury
1955 Justin Tubb recorded "All Alone" & "Within Your Arms" for Decca
1955 Patsy Cline - "A Church, A Courtroom and Then Goodbye" at her first recording session for Coral

1999 Mac McAnally "Simple Life" album released on Warner Brothers
1999 Delbert McClinton "The Ultimate Collection" album released on Hip-O
1999 Eck Robertson "Old Time Texas Fiddler 1922-1929" album released on County
1999 Tony Ellis "Quaker Girl" album released on County
2001 Yvonne DeVaney - "A Good Thing" album released
2005 *Ivan Collins "Unpredictable" album released
2008 *Lana Ross launched her debut album "Stories To Tell" in her hometown of Mackay

1959 Johnny Horton's "The Battle of New Orleans" went to #1 on the Billboard Top 40
1968 Bill Anderson "Wild Weekend" album charted to #10
1968 Merrillee Rush & The Turnabouts "Angel of the Morning" charted to #7 on Billboard Top 40
1985 Kim Carnes - "Crazy in the Night (Barking at Airplanes)" charted to #15 on Billboard Top 40
1985 Hank Williams Jr "Five-O" album charted to #1 - His third #1 album

1927 Carl Butler born Carl Robert Butler in Knoxville Tennessee - singer/Songwriter wrote "Dont Let Me Cross Over" Married Pearl Dee Jones in 1952 - (Died September 4 1992)
1931 Bobby Bobo born in Brookfield, Ohio - Bobby and his Western Rythmaires starred on the Hayloft Jamboree on WCOP Boston, Massachusets and appeared on WLW Midwestern Hayride
1936 Otis Williams born in Cincinnati, Ohio - Former leader of The Charms - Only chart entry was "I Wanna Go Country" single #72 in 1971
---- *Brooke Schubert
---- Nisha (Rose) Caton
---- *Ian Betteridge

1967 Clarence "Tom" Ashley died in Winston, North Carolina
1998 Helen Carter
2006 Joe Phillips died in Crossville, Tennessee age 87 - born Joseph Riley Phillips and raised in Philadelphia, Tennessee - Bass fiddler and country comedian who performed with pioneering groups Hylo Brown & The Timberliners and Flatt & Scruggs & their Foggy Mountain Boys - Died 2 June 2006

1821 *Ross Tasmania, in what was then Van Diemen's Land was selected as a site by Governor Macquarie
1896 First radio patent awarded to Marconi
1925 WGHP radio station in Detroit, Michigan is licensed - Became WXYZ and created The Lone Ranger series which debut on 30 January 1933 and the Green Hornet Show on 31 January 1936 - Partner station WXYZ-TV started on 9 October 1948 and a lot of the radio dj's crossed over onto TV - Radio station became WXYT
1972 The First Indian Springs Bluegrass Festival staged in Maryland

1969 Buck Owens "Buck Owens In London" album released on Capitol
1998 Joe Nicholls released "Wal-Mart Parking Lot Social Club" album
1998 Suzy Bogguss "Nobody Love, Nobody Gets Hurt" album released on Liberty
2003 The Broken Family Band "Cold Water Songs" album released on Snowstorm Records

1979 Dr Hook - "When Your in Love with a Beatiful Woman" charted on Billboard Top 40 to #6
1979 John Stewart - "Gold" charted to #5 - Member of Kingston Trio from 1961-1

1927 Boots Randolph born Homer Louis Randolph III in Paducah, Kentucky - Premier Nashville session saxophonist
1935 Bobby Harden born in England, Arkansas - Singer/Singwriter - Harden Trio (Died May 30 2006)
1936 Larry McMurtry born in Wichata Falls, Texas - Novels include Leaving Cheyenne, The Last Picture Show, Moving On & The Lonesome Dove
1943 Michael Clarke drummer with the Byrds, born in New York City
1948 Fred "Too Slim" LaBour of Riders in the Sky born in Grand Rapids, Michigan
1950 Suzi Quatro born in Detroit, MI
1954 Dan Hill - Toronto, Canada - Author/singer/songwriter - Hit song "Sometimes When We Touch"
---- *Terry Hall

1994 Wally Fowler age 77 - Founder of the Oakridge Quartet died
1995 Van Stoneman of The Stoneman Family died age 54
2006 Johnny Grande died age 76 in Clarksville, Tenn - Pianist/Accordionist with Bill Haley & The Comets 1948-1962 (Born January 14 1930)

1821 *Oatlands Tasmania, in what was then Van Diemen's Land was selected as a site by Governor Macquarie
1932 *Australian Newsreel company Cinesound was established
1942 Liberty Records renamed Capitol Records. Played a major role in popularizing the Bakersfield Sound recording many West Coast country artists
1946 The Casebook Of Gregory Hood debuted on Mutual Radio in the US - The show was a summer replacement series for Sherlock Holmes The mystery series became a regular weekly program in autumn 1946
1949 Hank Williams gave his last performance on the Louisiana Hayride before moving to Nashville
1955 The Midwestern Hayride began broadcasting over WLW-TV in Cincinnati
1989 Reba McEntire married Narvel Blackstock in Lake Tahoe, Nevada

1956 Flatt & Scruggs recorded "Father's Table Grace"
1964 Flatt & Scruggs recorded "Georgia Buck", "Hello Stranger", "Please Don't Wake Me", "My Wandering Boy","A Faded Red Ribbon" & "Sally Don't You Grieve" for Columbia

1991 Willie Nelson - "Who'll Buy My Memories - The IRS Tapes" album
1997 Patti Page - "A Golden Celebration" album released on Polygram
1997 Ralph Stanley - "My All And All" album released on Rebel
1997 Connie Smith - "Super Hits" album released on RCA
1997 Jerry Reed - "Super Hits" album released on RCA
2003 Bonnie Raitt - "Best Of Bonnie Raitt On Capitol" album released

1967 Spanky and Our Gang - "Sunday Will Never be the Same" charted on Billboard Top 40 to #9
1967 Liz Anderson - "Liz Anderson Sings" album charted to #20
1972 Eddy Arnold - "Lonely People" album charted to #38
1972 Donna Fargo's - "The Happiest Girl in the Whole USA" went to #1 Charted on Billboard Top 40
1978 Conway Twitty "The Very Best Of Conway Twitty" album charted to #13
1978 Bonnie Tyler It's A Heartache" album charted to #2 on Billboard Country Chart

1907 J E "June" Whalin - Original member of Bob Wills Texas Playboys
1910 Texas Ruby Owens - born in Wise County, Texas
1924 Dennis Weaver born in Joplin, Missouri - Actor/Country singer - TV Series - Gunsmoke, McCloud - Recorded his first Country Album on the Impress label in 1972, and then Ovation Records in Nashville - Died February 24 2006
1937 Freddy Fender born Baldemar G. Huertain San Benito, Texas - Big country and pop hits in 1975 "Before The Next Teardrop Falls" and "Wasted Days And Wasted Nights" Of Mexican-American heritage whose real name in Baldemar Huerta - Died 14 October 2006
1941 Linda Martell - born in Lexington County, South Carolina - First black female vocalist to perform at the Opry
1942 *Rob E G (Porter) born in Australia - 60's guitarist/writer
1959 Warner Hodges born in Wurzberg, Germany - Guitarist with Jason & The Scorchers
1976 *Kasey Chambers
1987 *Ryan Sampson born at Tamworth - Now resides in Toowoomba - 2005 Qld Champion of Champions
---- *Kerrigan La Brooy
---- *Bernard Webb - Webb Brothers

1975 Clark Kessinger died from a stroke - Fiddler called the "Gentleman Of Old-time Music" in the Kessinger Brothers with his nephew Luches Kessinger
1983 Stan Rogers Canadian folk singer was one of 19 Canadians killed as Air Canada DC-9 flying from Texas to Toronto, catches fire & make an emergency landing in Cincinnati, Ohio - 23 of 46 passengers & crew die of smoke & flames due to a fire caused by smoking in a washroom
1994 Zeke Clements age 82 died in Nashville
2003 William "Shooby" Taylor died in Newark, New Jersey age 74 - Scat singer on Inkspots & Harmonicats records - Country gospel baritone

1897 *Narrogin in Western Australia declared a town site - Became a municipality in 1906 - Population aproximately 4,435
1921 *Brighton Tasmania, in what was then Van Diemen's Land was selected as a site by Governor Macquarie
1924 *6WF Perth, Western Australia, began broadcasting - Operated by Westralian Farmers Ltd
1926 *Northern Australia Act divides the Northern Territory into North Australia & Central Australia, each with a seperate administration - Take effect on 1 March 1927 - Northern Territory reverts to single entity in 1931
1937 Pee Wee King & The Golden West Cowboys debut on Grand Ole Opry
1970 Tonga gains independence from Britain - Australian singers, Vika & Linda Bull have Tongan ancestry
1971 *Rose Hill renamed Parramatta in Sydney, N.S.W. - "Parramatta Hotrod Man" The Whiteliners - Home of the Parramatta Eels Rugby League Team
1974 Dolly Parton & Porter Wagoner - Performed together for the last time on Grand Ole Opry
1984 Lorrie Morgan joined Grand Ole Opry
1994 The refurbished Ryman Auditorium reopened in Nashville

1946 Gene Autry - "South of the Border", "Rounded Up in Glory" & "When It's Roundup Time in Heaven" for Columbia
1947 Johnny Bond - "Blind Alley" & the Top 5 single "The Daughter of Jolie Blon" for Columbia

2002 *Luke O'Shea & Medicine Wheel released debut album "No Day Like Today"
2002 Chris LeDoux "The Capitol Collection (1990-2000)" 6 CD box set albums released
2002 Shannon Lawson "Chase The Sun" album released on MCA
2002 Lila McCann "Super Hits" album released on Warner Brothers
2002 Confederate Railroad "The Essentials" album released on Rhino

1977 Jerry Jeff Walker "A Man Must Carry On" album charted to #13 - His highest charting album
1977 Bill Anderson "Scorpio" album charted to #21
1983 Alabama - "The Closer You Get" to #38 on Billboard Top 40 & #1 Country

1895 William Boyd born Cambridge, Ohio - U.S. actor best known for playing Hopalong Cassidy - Inducted into Western Performers Hall Of Fame and The National Cowboy & Western Heritage Museum, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma - Died 12 September 1972
1926 Bill Hayes born in Harvey, Illinois - Actor/singer had #1 hit "The Ballad of Davy Crockett" from ABC US TV's Disneyland series which featured 3 Davy Crockett segments - Played Doug Williams in the TV soap opera "Days of Our Lives"
1927 Jerry 'Carrot Top' Dykes born in U.S. - Jerry and the Western Ramblers performed on WACO Waco, Texas
1927 *John Minson
1927 Vinita Geraldine Wilburn born in Hardy, Arkansas - Sister of the Wilburn Brothers, Doyle & Teddy - They started their careers as children singing as the Wilburn Family which also included older brothers Lester and Leslie - The Wilburn Family worked on KWKH, Shreveport, where they regularly appeared on the Louisiana Hayride - Vinita left the family band in 1948
1935 Yodeling Tom born in U.S.
1945 Don Reid of the Statler Brothers born in Staunton, Virginia
1961 *Andrew Clermont Born in Adelaide, South Australia
1967 Suzanne Cox born Springhill, Louisiana; Singer/mandolin player with family band The Cox Family
---- *Liz Crago

1967 John Y "Lonzo" Sullivan, age 48, of Lonzo & Oscar
1993 Conway Twitty, (Harold Lloyd Jenkins) age 59, died near Branson, Missouri
1865 Onward Christian Soldiers hymn is performed for the first time in Horbury, England
1943 Regular broadcast began on the Grand Ole Opry
1948 The Hayloft Hoedown broardcast its first program on ABC-TV
1954 Billboard reported major record labels will supply radio stations with 45 rpm singles rather than the popular 78 rpm single as from July
1980 "Urban Cowboy" premiered in Houston, Texas
1989 *Rex Dallas purchased "Gully Park property near Moonbi outside Tamworth, N.S.W - An entertainment complex was set up to provide country music concerts during the Tamworth Country Music Festival

1937 *Tex Morton recorded "Old Pal of My Boyhood Days", "Across the Great Divide", "Why Should I Work" & "The End of the Hobo Trail" singles for Regal Zonophone at Columbia Studios, Sydney, N.S.W.
1982 Garrison Keillor - "Ode To Oregon" recorded for Minnesota Public Radio at The Elizabethan Stage, Ashland, Oregon - Released on Prairie Home Companion "Tourists" album in 1983
1945 Ernest Tubb recorded "Hearts of Stone" - "You'll Want Me Back" & "Our Baby Boy" for Decca
1951 Clyde Moody recorded "Too Young" - "If You Only Knew" - "Tend To Your Business" for King
1957 Justin Tubb recorded "The Party Is Over (For Me)" for Decca

1930 Jimmie Rodgers released "Jimmie's Texas Blues" - "Train Whistle Blues" on Victor
1931 Jimmie Rodgers released "Jimmie The Kid" - "My Blue-eyed Jane" on Victor
2001 Delbert McClinton "Jealous Kind/Plain From The Heart" 2 for 1 album released on Raven

1975 *Diana Trask "Oh Boy" single debuted at #39 on the Australian Top 40 Chart peaking at #4
1982 Alabama - "Take Me Down" charted to #18 on Billboard Top 40 & #1 Country
1982 Karla Bonoff - "Personally" charted to #19 on Billboard Top 40

1934 Wynn Stewart born in Morrisville, Missouri - Died July 17 1985 in Hendersonville, Tenn
1940 Tom Jones born Thomas Jones Woodward in Pontypridd, Wales
1944 Clarence White born in Lewiston, Maine
1961 Wylie Gustafson born in Montana Wylie & The Wild West Show
1985 *Gavin Fernan born - Lives Brisbane - Dalby heat winner of the Telstra Road To Tamworth 2006 Talent Quest
---- *Brian Lord born
1966 Roy Orbison's first wife Claudette killed in a motor cycle accident
1996 Courtney Johnson - Age 56
2004 Wayne Kolbeck died - Played guitar, pedal steel guitar and banjo - Member of The Trashy White Band & The Wolf Creek Band - Born 1951

1775 The United Colonies changes its name to United States
1825 *Van Dieman's Land now called Tasmania, becomes a seperate colony of Australia
1908 *Australia is granted its coat of arms by Britain
1929 Vatican City is established in Rome, reviving the Papal State which had ceased to exist in 1870
1955 Lux Radio Theatre last broadcast - Launched in 1934 in New York featured radio adaptations of Broadway shows starring stage and screen celebrities - It was one of several anthology shows featuring a different drama every week
1965 First Home Video Tape Recorder introduced by Sony - It could only record in black & white
1982 Elvis Presley's Memphis home, "Graceland", opened for public tours
2003 *Gordon Parsons bust unveiled in Bicentennial Park, Tamworth

1937 Bob Wills recorded "Playboy Stomp" - "Steel Guitar Stomp" - "White Heat"
1949 Pee Wee King recorded "Fire on the Mountain (Dip And Dive)"

2002 *Terry Gordon launched "All Among the Wool" on Selection Records - 3 new songs & 16 from back catalogue
2002 *Selection Album compilation "The Lure of the Outback" launched at Tamworth RSL's Gunbarrel Highwaymen concert
2002 *Rex Dallas launches album "Sunrise of the Outback" - In the Year of the Outback, at Southgate Inn, Tamworth, N.S.W

1967 Del Reeves "The Private" single charted to #33
1975 John Denver - "Thank God I'm a Country Boy" went to #1
1980 Ed Bruce Self Titled album charted to #22 - His biggest hit
1980 Jim Ed Brown & Helen Cornelius "One Man, One Woman" album charted to #35
1996 Junior Brown "Semi Crazy" album charted to #32

1902 Harry Torrani born Harry Hopkinson in Wingfield, England - The gifted yodeler changed his name to Austin Layton and later to Harry Torrani - Recorded first yolelling song on 27 August 1931 on Regal Zonophone label "Honeymoon Yodel" & "Happy And Free" Died 4 March 1979
1919 Monte Hale born Buren Ely in San Angelo, Texas - Country singer, actor in B-westerns - His first major role was in Home On The Range in 1946 in which he sang "Happy Go Lucky Cowhand", "Down At The Old Hoe-Down" & "Home On The Range"
1932 Cyde Beavers born in Tennega, Georgia - "Here I Am Drunk Again" reached #13 in 1960
1941 Vernon Oxford - born near Rogers, Arkansas
1951 Tony Rice - Dannville, Virginia
1964 Alton Delmore - Huntsville, Alabama aged 55
1986 Roba Stanley - Gainsville, Florida aged 76- First woman to record Country Music

1939 The Coon Creek Girls - performed at The White House for King George VI and Queen Elizabeth of England
1963 Lester Flatt Day - declared in State of Tennessee
1827 Patrick Logan discovered coal at Limestone (now Ipswich) my hometown Logan City named after him
1991 *Hunter Valley community broadcaster, Kevin Parsons first country program went to air on Radio CHR-FM 96.5 Hunter Valley
2001 Pamela Drysdale & husband musician, Gary Steel's first child, Kimberley Jocelyn born

1936 Carter Family - recorded "The Waywood Traveller" - "My Native Home" - Are You Lonesone Tonight" - "My Dixie Darling" at their first Decca session
1937 Bob Wills - recorded "Tulsa Stomp" - "Never No More Hard Time Blues" - "Sunbonnet Sue" - "Blue Yodel"
1938 Carter Family - recorded "You Are My Flower"
1966 Willie Nelson recorded "One in a Row" at Grand Ole Opry & released on 60 years of Grand Ole Opry in 1986

1953 Lee Bonds and the Shady-Side Playboys released their first single for Capitol Records called "Okee-Fi-No-Kee Gal" & "Undecided Heart"
1999 Chris LeDoux "20 Greatest Hits" album released on Capitol

1959 Stonewall Jackson "Waterloo" charted on Billboard Top 40 to #4 Country #1
1963 Johnny Cash - "Ring of Fire" Charted No1
1964 The Serendipity Singers "Beans in My Ears" debuted on Billboard Top 40 to #30 - Nine-member, pop/folk group organized at the University of Colorado
1968 Eddy Arnold "The Romantic World Of Eddy Arnold" album charted to #2
1974 Melba Montgomery "No Charge" charted on Billboard Top 40 to #39 Country #1
1974 Dolly Parton "I Will Always Love You" goes to Country #1
1974 Ozark Mountain Daredevils "If You Wanna Get to Heaven" went to #25

1915 Les Paul born Lester Polsfus in Waukeshia, Wisconsin
Guitarist and inventor
1926 Herb Remington born in Mishawaka, Indiana -
Steel Guitarist/Maker, 4 year stint with Bob Wills 1946-1950
1939 *Olive Bice born in Bendigo, Vic
1955 *Jeff Gibson born - Kyogle, N.S.W. country singer who won the Australian Bush Balladeers Starquest 2005 - Released first album "Born For The Saddle" in 2006

1947 J Warren Kerrigan died in Balboa Beach, California - Actor who did many westerns - Played lead in "The Covered Wagon"
1961 *Aenus Gunn died age 91 - Australian Author of "We Of the Never Never"
1981 Eugene "Tagg" Lambert died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound, age 38

1797 Harrington Maine changed it's name to Augusta - Became the capital of the State of Maine in 1827 - Maine Legislature met there for the first time in January 1832 - Chartered as a city in 1849
1941 Stoney Cooper married Wilma Lee Leary
1950 *Leyland Family Ivan, Frances and sons Mike & Mal, arrived in Australia on board the migrant ship, Otranto - Mike & Mal would become famous in the 60's for their travel documentaries
1997 Official launch of country.com web site

1936 Carter Family recorded "Bonnie Blues Eyes" - "My Honey Lou" & "No Depression in Heaven"
1937 Bob Wills recorded "The New St Louis Blues" - "I'm a Ding Dong Daddy (from Dumas)" & "There is a Tavern in Town"

1966 Roy Orbison "Lana" released HL2256 on London
1998 David Allan Coe "Johnny Cash Is A Friend Of Mine" album released on King

1958 Johnny Cash - "Guess Things Happen That Way" charted on Billboard Top 40 to #11
1958 Everly Brothers - "All I Have to do is Dream" goes to # 1
1973 Tanya Tucker "What's Your Mama's Name" album charted to #4
1973 Glen Campbell "I Knew Jesus (Before He Was A Star)" album charted to #13
1973 Charlie Rich "Behind Closed Doors" debuted on Billboard Top 40 #15 - Country #1
1973 Johnny Rodriguez - "You Always Come Back (to Hurting Me)" goes to #1
1979 Conway Twitty "Cross Winds" album charted to #11
1989 Kathy Mattea "Come From the Heart" goes to #1
---- *Judith Durham (Previously of "The Seekers")- "The Olive Tree" - Her first solo effert reached #31 on British Top 40

1952 Tom Schuyler born in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania - Songwriter - Wrote "16th Avenue" for Lacy J Dalton and "Love Will Turn You Around" for Kenny Rogers
1957 *Rosie King - born in Ipswich, Qld
1965 Kimmy Wix - born in Lafayette, Tennessee - Music Journalist
1969 Ed Burleson born - Singer/guitarist/cowboy/alternative country/Americana/honky tonk

1988 Herman Crook - Aged 89 - Harmonica player for the Crook Brothers Band, regular performers on Grand Ole Opry for 62 years
2003 Clifton King died in Roanoke County - Bluegrass singer, guitarist - Member of The Virginia Mountaineers
2004 Ray Charles - Aged 73 - At Beverley Hills, California

1843 Fort Victoria in what is now British Columbia, Canada was named by the Hudson's Bay Company after Queen Victoria - It became the capital of British Columbia in 1871
1988 Ricky Van Shelton joined the Grand Ole Opry
2001 *Marius & Katrina Reynold's baby Imogen born - Marius is a member of Lawrie Minson Band

1931 Jimmie Rodgers & Carter Family recorded "Why There's a Tear in My Eye" & "The Wonderful City"
1942 Gene Autry recorded "Jingle, Jangle, Jingle"
1964 Buck Owens recorded #1 singles "Together Again" & "Loves Gonna Live Here"

1957 Jimmy Swan "Lonesome Man/Good And Lonesome" single released on MGM

1967 Tammy Wynette "Your Good Girl's Gonna Go Bad" album charted to #7
1967 Porter Wagoner "The Cold Hard Facts Of Life" album charted to #4
1972 Bobby Bare "What Am I Gonna Do" album charted to #19
1972 Bill Anderson "Sings For 'All The Lonely Women In The World" album charted to #14
1978 Willie Nelson single "Georgia on my Mind" goes to #1 & the "Stardust" album goes to #1
1995 Dwight Yoakam "Dwight Live" album charted to #8

1910 Edwin Duhon born near Lafayette, Louisiana - Hackberry Ramblers
1936 Jud Strunk born Justin Strunk Jnr in Jamestown, New York Big "Daisy a Day" hit charts in 1973. He was killed in a plane crash in 1981
1939 Wilma Burgess born in Orlando, Florida
1952 Jimmy Arnold born in Fries, Virginia
1955 Mike Daly born in Cleveland Ohio from Gibson Miller Band
1955 *Wayne Horsburgh - Born Benella Vic
1984 *Cherilyn Bickers born in Redcliffe, Queensland - Lives Roma, Q'ld - Works for DMG Regional Radio 4ZR/Hot FM - Telstra Road To Tamworth Finalist 2004
---- *Luke Austin
---- *Tracy Lee Killeen
---- *David South - West Australian Recording Artist

1979 John Wayne died age 72 - "The Duke" starred in over 200 movies, many of them westerns - His only album "America, Why I Love You" a narrative tribute to America, charted to #13 Country in 1973
1985 Joe Val died age 58 - Born Joseph Valiante in Everett, Massachusetts 25 June 1926 - Bluegrass singer, songwriter, mandolin, banjo and guitar player - Formed the New England Bluegrass Boys in 1970 with guitarist Herb Applin, banjoist Bob French and bassist Bob Tidwell - First recording for Rounder Records in 1971 - Over the years guitarists Dave Dillon, Dave Haney, banjoists Paul Silvius and Karl Lauber replaced members of the band

1949 Hank Williams debut on the Grand Ole Opry
1988 Patty Loveless joined the Grand Ole Opry
1990 *Olivia Newton-John becomes a United Nations Evironmental Ambassador
2003 *Jamie O'Neal & songwriter, husband Rodney Good's first child born

1931 Jimmie Rodgers recorded "Let me be Your Side Track"
1946 Gene Autry recorded the Top 5 single "I Wish I Had Never Met Sunshine" also recorded Top 10 single "You Only Want Me When You're Lonely"
1958 Ernest Tubb recorded the Top 10 single "Half a Mind"
1982 Robin & Linda Williams with the Butch Thomson Trio"Lonely Streets" recorded for Minnesota Public Radio in the Bovard Auditorium at USC, Los Angeles - Released on Prairie Home Companion "Tourists" album in 1983

2002 Delbert McClinton "Second Wind/Keeper Of The Flame" 2 for 1 album released on Raven

1966 Conway Twitty Self Titled Album charted to #25 - His first charting album
1966 Del Reeves"Special Delivery" album charted to #28
1977 Tammy Wynette "Let's Get Together" album charted to #19
1977 Waylon Jennings "Luckenbach Texas (Back to the Basics of Love)" debuted on Billboard Top 40 to #25
1993 Patty Loveless single "Blame It On Your Heart" goes to #1

1925 Penny Jay born Helen Florence Jeanette Adams in Monteagle, Tenn - Singer/Singwriter - Died March 29 2006
1932 Charlie Feathers born in Holly Springs, MS - Died August 29 1998 in Memphis, TN
---- *David Smyth

1972 Emma Wills died in Tulsa, Oklahoma - Mother of Western Swing legend Bob Wills
1978 Johnny Bond - Age 63 - Died in Burbank, California
1996 *Cora Ruhle died in Toowoomba - Born in Pittsworth, Queensland - Went to school in Motley and Mt Tyson - Worked with Eric Tutin & Joan Martin - Performed on the "Midday Show at the Toowoomba Town Hall - Worked at Cloudland and the Cremorne and Majestic Theatres in Brisbane - Toured with Tex Morton & Buddy Williams - Recorded six tracks at Vita Tone Studio, Brisbane that weren't commrecially released - Four of them were her own "Just A Lonely Mother", The Quiet Life In The Country", Evening Star On The Pampas" & My Sweetheart In Khaki Three of those songs were released on the QCS label by Zeta Burns in 1998

1947 "Sargeant Preston Of The Yukon" began on American radio - The show, with the Canadian Mountie and his trusty dog, King ran until 1955 - It was on TV from 1955-1958 - Created by George W Trendle & Fran Striker, who also created "The Lone Ranger" & The Green Hornet
1956 "This Is Monitor" a weekend program service for NBC Radio, heard for the first time - The news, entertainment and variety show was broadcast from New York City
1989 "Graceland" opens the Elvis Presley Autoland Museum, which contains over 20 cars owned by Elvis

1928 Jimmie Rodgers recorded "Mississippi Moon", "Daddy and Home", "I'm Lonely and Blue" & "My Old Pal"
1931 Jimmie Rodgers & Carter Family recorded "Jimmie Rodgers Visits the Carter Family" & "The Carter Family and Jimmie Rodgers in Texas"
1945 Johnny Bond recorded "Sad, Sad and Blue"
1949 Ernest Tubb recorded #1 single "Slipping Around" & Top 10 singles "Warm Red Wine", "My Tennessee Baby" & "My Filipino Rose"

2001 Jim Reeves "Radio Days, Vol 2" album released on Bear Family
2001 Marvin Rainwater "Rock Me: The Westwood Recordings" album released on Bear Famly
2001 Lee Roy Parnell "Tell The Truth" album released
2007 Traditional American Music various artists compilation album released on Pinecastle - 13-song project features Mac Wiseman, Earl Scruggs, Osborne Brothers, Ricky Skaggs, Buck White & Tony Rice
2007 Cherryholmes "Cherryholmes II Black and White" album released on Skaggs Family Records - The bluegrass family's follow-up to their self titled debut album
2007 Little Texas "Missing Years" album released on Montege Music Group
2007 Toby Keith "Big Dog Daddy" album released on ShowDog Nashville featuring the single "High Maintenance Woman"

1976 The Amazing Rhythm Aces - "Too Stuffed, To Jump" album charted to #16
1976 Conway Twitty "Now And Then" album charted to #4

1925 Penny Jay born Helen Florence Jeanette Adams in Monteagle, Tenn - Singer/Singwriter - Died March 29 2006
1932 Charlie Feathers born in Holly Springs, MS - Died August 29 1998 in Memphis, TN
---- *David Smyth

1972 Emma Wills died in Tulsa, Oklahoma - Mother of Western Swing legend Bob Wills
1978 Johnny Bond - Age 63 - Died in Burbank, California
1996 *Cora Ruhle died in Toowoomba - Born in Pittsworth, Queensland - Went to school in Motley and Mt Tyson - Worked with Eric Tutin & Joan Martin - Performed on the "Midday Show at the Toowoomba Town Hall - Worked at Cloudland and the Cremorne and Majestic Theatres in Brisbane - Toured with Tex Morton & Buddy Williams - Recorded six tracks at Vita Tone Studio, Brisbane that weren't commrecially released - Four of them were her own "Just A Lonely Mother", The Quiet Life In The Country", Evening Star On The Pampas" & My Sweetheart In Khaki Three of those songs were released on the QCS label by Zeta Burns in 1998

1947 "Sargeant Preston Of The Yukon" began on American radio - The show, with the Canadian Mountie and his trusty dog, King ran until 1955 - It was on TV from 1955-1958 - Created by George W Trendle & Fran Striker, who also created "The Lone Ranger" & The Green Hornet
1956 "This Is Monitor" a weekend program service for NBC Radio, heard for the first time - The news, entertainment and variety show was broadcast from New York City
1989 "Graceland" opens the Elvis Presley Autoland Museum, which contains over 20 cars owned by Elvis

1928 Jimmie Rodgers recorded "Mississippi Moon", "Daddy and Home", "I'm Lonely and Blue" & "My Old Pal"
1931 Jimmie Rodgers & Carter Family recorded "Jimmie Rodgers Visits the Carter Family" & "The Carter Family and Jimmie Rodgers in Texas"
1945 Johnny Bond recorded "Sad, Sad and Blue"
1949 Ernest Tubb recorded #1 single "Slipping Around" & Top 10 singles "Warm Red Wine", "My Tennessee Baby" & "My Filipino Rose"

2001 Jim Reeves "Radio Days, Vol 2" album released on Bear Family
2001 Marvin Rainwater "Rock Me: The Westwood Recordings" album released on Bear Famly
2001 Lee Roy Parnell "Tell The Truth" album released
2007 Traditional American Music various artists compilation album released on Pinecastle - 13-song project features Mac Wiseman, Earl Scruggs, Osborne Brothers, Ricky Skaggs, Buck White & Tony Rice
2007 Cherryholmes "Cherryholmes II Black and White" album released on Skaggs Family Records - The bluegrass family's follow-up to their self titled debut album
2007 Little Texas "Missing Years" album released on Montege Music Group
2007 Toby Keith "Big Dog Daddy" album released on ShowDog Nashville featuring the single "High Maintenance Woman"

1976 The Amazing Rhythm Aces - "Too Stuffed, To Jump" album charted to #16
1976 Conway Twitty "Now And Then" album charted to #4

1905 Lesley "Esley" Riddle born, Burnsville, North Carolina - African-American musician whose influence on the Carter Family helped shape country music - Maybelle Carter adapted Riddle's guitar technique that became known as the "Carter scratch" - Esley and A.P. Carter embarked on song-collecting trip around their region - The Carter Family went on to record songs that Riddle either composed or transmitted, including "Cannonball Blues", Hello Stranger", Bear Creek Blues" & "Let The Church Roll On" Died 13 July 1980
1927 *Slim Dusty - Born David Gordon Kirkpatrick in Kempsey NSW - Austalian King Of Country - Awarded the MBE for Services to Entertainment in 1970 - Died September 19 2003
1931 Howard Vokes born in Clearfield, Pennsylvania - Performed on WKPA New Kensington & WAVL Apollo, Pennsylvania - Singer, songwriter, manager, music publisher, promoter and record owner, formed the Country Boys band - They recorded "This Prison I'm In/Ghost Of A Honky Tonk Slave", "Willie Roy, The Cripple Boy
1941 Glen Garrison born in Slarcy, Arkansas - His only charting album "If I Lived Here" reached #39 - "I'll Be Your Baby Tonight" single charted to #48
1965 Joe Barnhill born in Turkey, Texas - "You're Old Flame's Goin' Out Tonight" charted to #56 in 1989 - Son of Joe Bob Barnhill, leader of Joe Bob's Nashville Sound Company
1990 *Jeremy Turner - Born in Murwillumbah NSW - Talented Traditional style Bush Ballad Singer - Now Based in SE Queensland

1979 Sunshine Sue Workman - Age 67 - Long-time compere of The Old Dominion Barn Dance
2001 *Keith Perandes died in Brisbane - Strong supporter of Traditional Australian country music - Father of Julie Perandes - President of Golden Wattle Country Music Club in Wynnum, Brisbane
2002 *Laurie Allen died in Melbourne, Vic Bobby & Laurie

1931 Jimmie Rodgers recorded "When the Cactus is in Bloom"
1940 Bobby Atcher, Randy Atcher and Bonnie Blue Eyes made first recording of "Cool Water" on Columbia
1945 Gene Autry recorded Top 5 single "Don't Hang Around me Anymore" & "I Want to be Sure"
1963 Johnny Cash Recorded "I Still Miss Someone"
1975 Merle Haggard recorded "The Way it Was in '51"

1963 Roy Orbison "Falling" released HL2111 on London
2008 *Slim Dusty "How Good It Is" single and specially produced promotional video released by EMI Music to commemorate what would have been Slim Dusty's 81st birthday - Written for Slim by Don Walker and recorded just before he fell ill in 2001 - Family members, friends, fans etc gathered on the day to celebrate the anniversary at the "Many Happy Campfires" tribute evening in Sydney - Featured performers include Graeme Connors, Jimmy Little, Lee Kernaghan, Amos Morris, Peter Denahy, Gina Jeffreys, Melinda Schneider and The Travelling Country Band

1960 Hank Locklin "Please Help Me I'm Falling" debuted on Billboard Top 40 to #8
1960 Loretta Lynn - "Honky Tonk Girl" debuted on Billboard Top 40
1970 Charley Pride "Wonder Could I Live There Anymore" goes to #1 on Billboard Top 40
1970 Tammy Wynette "The World Of Tammy Wynette" album charted to #8
1981 Kenny Rogers & Dottie West -"What are we Doin" in Love" goes to #1 Charted
1960 The Fendermen - "Muleskinner Blues" debuted on Billboard Top 40 To #5
1981 Rosanne Cash debuted on Billboard Top 40 to #22 Country #1 - Daughter of Johnny Cash & Vivian Liberto

Back
Top Bottom