This Day in Country Music

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Birthdays:-
1909 Burl Ives born Burl Icle Ivanhoe Ives in Hunt Township, Jasper County, Illinois - Folk singer and actor - Songs include "Blue Tail Fly", "A Little Bitty Tear", "Funny Way Of Laughin'" & "Call Me Mr In-Between"
1911 George Carlisle born in U.S. - Performed on KOH Reno, Nevada
1914 Gordon D. "Tex" Cochrane born in Sweet's Corner, Nova Scotia, Canada - Tex started broadcasting on CHNS Halifax, then CFCY Charlottetown and played with George Chappelle & The Merry Islanders - Recorded for RCA Victor in 1938 - Joined the army in 1940 and retired in 1963 with the rank of Major, he never resumed his music career - Cattle Records of Germany re-issued his old RCA material in 1985
1924 *June Holms - Born Northgate, Brisbane, Qld
1926 *Dick Eckert born Valentine Edward Eckert in Maryborough, Queensland - Formed a band with brother Des And friends "Country Cobbers" Had his own radio program on 4MB, Maryborough in the 1960's & 1970's - In 1966, Dick was the first President of the local branch of The Modern Country Music Club , now known as Australian Country Music Association - Dick and his wife Gwen recorded an EP for Opal Records in 1974 - His grandaughter Anita Ree a rising bush ballad star won the A.B.B.A. Star Quest in 2003 - Anita recorded one of his songs "The Blue Australian Sky" on the album of the same name Died 5 July 2005
1926 Kay Arnold born - Hillbilly music artist - Died 24 October 2005
1934 *Barry Thornton - Born Junee NSW - Legendary Guitar Player with Slim Dusty Shows - Died July 28 2002 in Tasmania
1966 Darren Rhodes born, Darren Harold Coleman in Windber, Pennsylvania

Died:-
1968 Ernest V Stoneman died, age 75 in Nashville,Tennessee
1982 Mac Beattie died in Ottawa - Country singer born John McNab in Arnprior, near Ottawa, Canada - Singer, songwriter (Born 21 December 1916)
1997 *Rocky Page born Dean Page in Adelaide, South Australia - South Australia's Pioneer of Country Music
2000 Merrill E Moore died from cancer - Country/blues/western swing/boogie woogie/ragtime/jazz/early rock 'n' roll

Events:-
1953 Elvis Presley graduates from LC Humes High School, Memphis, Tennessee
1996 *Arthur Blanch Homecoming Concert at Kedron Wavell Services Club, Brisbane, Queensland - Also performing Mark Tempany, T.C. Cassidy, Lyn Bowtell & Pixie Jenkins

Recorded:-
1923 Fiddlin' John Carson recorded "The Little Log Cabin in the Lane" & "The Old Hen Cackled and the Rooster's Going to Crow" at his First session for Okeh
1950 Hank Williams recorded "Honky Tonk Blues" & "They're Never Take Her Love from Me"
1962 Willie Nelson recorded "Touch Me"

Released:-
1994 Dan Seals"The Best Of" album released

Charted:-
1969 Billy Walker "Portrait Of Billy" album charted to #40
1975 Linda Ronstadt - "When Will I Be Loved" goes to #1
1975 Eagles - "One of These Nights" debuted on Billboard Top 40 to #1
1980 Eddy Arnold - "A Legend And His Lady" album charted to #26
1980 Alabama - "My Home In Alabama" album charted to #3

1880 Blind Alfred Reed born in Floyd, Virginia
1892 Tex Owens born in Killeen, Texas
1917 Leon Payne born in Alba, Texas
1917 Al "Lash" LaRue born Alfred LaRue in Gretna, Louisiana - Cowboy actor
1925 Henry Newton "Tommy" Vaden born in Nashville, Tennessee
1932 Bobby White born Floyd L White in Jenny Lind, Arkansas - Country steel guitarist who worked with Bob Wills Texas Playboys & Hank Thompsons Brazos Valley Boys - Member of the houseband for the Crossroads Club which he co-owedn - Steel Guitar Hall of Fame Inductee - Died Fort Smith, Arkansas 21 November 2003
1937 Waylon Jennings - Littlefield, Texas - Died Feb 13 2002
1954 Terri Gibbs born in Augusta, Georgia
1960 Terry Smith born in Reidsville, North Carolina - Bass player for Osborne Brothers
---- *Lazy Harry
---- *Geoff Jones
---- *Rosemary Rae
---- *Meagan Elder

---- C. F. Martin III
1986 Rub Falls age 40, died in Nashville, Tennessee

1870 Grand Forks North Dakota founded in the Red River Valley - Named after the forking of Red River of the North with Red Lake River - The city lies on the west bank of the Red River, population 49,321 - Twin city on the east bank of the Red River, East Grand Forks, Minnesota, population 7,500
---- "Hee Haw" debuted on the CBS television network

1931 Jimmie Rodgers recorded "Looking for a New Mama" - "Gambling Polka Dot Blues"
1951 Ernest Tubb recorded "I'm With a Crowd But All Alone"

1950 Flatt & Scruggs released "So Happy I'll Be" - "Is It Too Late Now"
1992 Bill Clifton - "The Early Years - 1957 1958" released on Rounder Select
1999 Kenny Rogers - "The Islands In The Stream:The Greatest Hits 1983-1988" album released on Music Club

1958 *Slim Dusty - "A Pub With No Beer" single debuted at #31 on the Australian Top 40 Chart hitting #1
1968 Johnny Bush - "Sound Of A Heartache" album charted to #38
1974 John Denver - "Annie's Song" debuted on Billboard Top 40 to #1

1889 Cap, born Samuel Warren Caplinger in Kanawha Station, Wood County, West Virginia - From trio Cap, Andy & Flip - Old-Time Country/guitar
1909 Skeets Yaney born Clyde A Yaney in Mitchell, Indiana - Yodeling Singer, songwriter, guitarist, harmonica player, and dj - Recorded for MGM, Columbia and Town & Country - (Died January 1978)
1933 George McCormack born near Carthage, Tennessee
1939 Billy "Crash" Craddock born in Greensboro, North Carolina
1961 Marie Bottrell born in London, Ontario, Canada - Singer, songwriter whose albums include "Star" from 1980, which yielded four Top 10 singles "Star", "Flames Of Evil Desire", "Ballad Of Lucy Jordan" & "Wonderin' If Willy"
---- *Ricky Shipp
---- *Vic Hall
---- *Melanie Horswood

1980 Bob Nolan died age 72 - Founding member of the Sons of the Pioneers
2002 Pat White died age 68 in Hendersonville, Tennessee - Matriach of the family group The Whites

1809 Calais Maine incorporated as a town in Washington County - Population in 1990 was 4,163 - Calais is across the St Croix River from St Stephen, New Brunswick, Canada
1967 "Hell on Wheels" starring Marty Robbins - Movie premiered in Nashville, Tennessee

1931 Jimmie Rodgers recorded "My Good Gal's Gone Blues"
1936 Blue Sky Boys recorded "Where the Soul Never Dies" - "Midnight on the Stormy Sea" - "I'm Troubled, I'm Troubled" - "Sunny Side of Life" & "I'm Just Here to Get My Baby Out of Jail"
1939 Rouse Brothers recorded the First version of "Orange Blossom Special"
1952 Ernest Tubb recorded "I Love Everything You Do" & the Top 5 single "Fortunes in Memories"
1955 *Gordon Parsons recorded "Back in the Bush Once More" & "You Get All the Sunshine" for Regal Zonophone & Columbia in Sydney
1979 The Powdermilk Biscuit Band - "Turn Your Radio On" recorded for Minnesota Public Radio at Sculpture Gardens, St Paul, Minnesota - Released on Prairie Home Companion "Anniversary Album"

1992 Dennis Robbins "Man With A Plan" album released on Giant
1995 Eddie Rabbitt "Greatest Hits" album released on Cema Special Markets
1995 *Lee Kernaghan "Country Crowd" single released on ABC Music
1998 Doyle Lawson "Gospel Radio Gems" album released on Sugar Hill
2003 Chris Cagle self titled album released in Australia

1973 Don Williams "Volume One" album charted to #5
1979 Poco - "Heart of the Night" country rock band charted on Billboard Top 40 to #20
1984 Hank Williams Jr "Major Moves"album charted to #1 - His second #1 album
1984 Don Williams "Cafe Carolina" album charted to #13
1984 Eddy Raven "I Got Mexico" goes to #1
1990 Alabama "Pass It On Down" album charted to #2

1889 Cap, born Samuel Warren Caplinger in Kanawha Station, Wood County, West Virginia - From trio Cap, Andy & Flip - Old-Time Country/guitar
1909 Skeets Yaney born Clyde A Yaney in Mitchell, Indiana - Yodeling Singer, songwriter, guitarist, harmonica player, and dj - Recorded for MGM, Columbia and Town & Country - (Died January 1978)
1933 George McCormack born near Carthage, Tennessee
1939 Billy "Crash" Craddock born in Greensboro, North Carolina
1961 Marie Bottrell born in London, Ontario, Canada - Singer, songwriter whose albums include "Star" from 1980, which yielded four Top 10 singles "Star", "Flames Of Evil Desire", "Ballad Of Lucy Jordan" & "Wonderin' If Willy"
---- *Ricky Shipp
---- *Vic Hall
---- *Melanie Horswood

1980 Bob Nolan died age 72 - Founding member of the Sons of the Pioneers
2002 Pat White died age 68 in Hendersonville, Tennessee - Matriach of the family group The Whites

1809 Calais Maine incorporated as a town in Washington County - Population in 1990 was 4,163 - Calais is across the St Croix River from St Stephen, New Brunswick, Canada
1967 "Hell on Wheels" starring Marty Robbins - Movie premiered in Nashville, Tennessee

1931 Jimmie Rodgers recorded "My Good Gal's Gone Blues"
1936 Blue Sky Boys recorded "Where the Soul Never Dies" - "Midnight on the Stormy Sea" - "I'm Troubled, I'm Troubled" - "Sunny Side of Life" & "I'm Just Here to Get My Baby Out of Jail"
1939 Rouse Brothers recorded the First version of "Orange Blossom Special"
1952 Ernest Tubb recorded "I Love Everything You Do" & the Top 5 single "Fortunes in Memories"
1955 *Gordon Parsons recorded "Back in the Bush Once More" & "You Get All the Sunshine" for Regal Zonophone & Columbia in Sydney
1979 The Powdermilk Biscuit Band - "Turn Your Radio On" recorded for Minnesota Public Radio at Sculpture Gardens, St Paul, Minnesota - Released on Prairie Home Companion "Anniversary Album"

1992 Dennis Robbins "Man With A Plan" album released on Giant
1995 Eddie Rabbitt "Greatest Hits" album released on Cema Special Markets
1995 *Lee Kernaghan "Country Crowd" single released on ABC Music
1998 Doyle Lawson "Gospel Radio Gems" album released on Sugar Hill
2003 Chris Cagle self titled album released in Australia

1973 Don Williams "Volume One" album charted to #5
1979 Poco - "Heart of the Night" country rock band charted on Billboard Top 40 to #20
1984 Hank Williams Jr "Major Moves"album charted to #1 - His second #1 album
1984 Don Williams "Cafe Carolina" album charted to #13
1984 Eddy Raven "I Got Mexico" goes to #1
1990 Alabama "Pass It On Down" album charted to #2

1907 James Gilbert "Goober" Buchanan born in Hillsdale, Kentucky - Hillbilly artist who performed on WAPO, WDEF and WDOD in Chattanooga, Tennessee, WLS Chicago, WDZ Tuscola and WVLN in Olney, Illinois, WHOP Hopkensville and WPAD Paducah in Kentucky, WSIX and WSN in Nashville, and WIBC Indianapolis, Indiana
1910 Red Foley born Clyde Julian Foley in Berea, Kentucky - Died Sept 19 1968
1915 David "Stringbean" Akeman born in Annville, Kentucky
1946 B. J. Cole born in London, England - One of the UK's best pedal steel players who was a member of the country band Cochise in the late 1960's - Founder member of the Hank Wangford Band - Top English session musician who has worked on many different albums and projects covering all musical genres
---- *Hec Griffiths
---- *Jade Hurley
---- *Dave McCallum (Doubledecker Dave)

1975 Colin Boyd died - Nova Scotia Country Music Hall Of Fame 2000 - (Born January 1, 1891)
2006 *John Parks died - Humorous writer of songs including "The Pommy Jackaroo", "The Publican's Daughter" & "The Blackstump Liars Club" for Buster Noble and "Ironbark Jim" recorded by Slim Dusty and Terry Gordon

1941 WNBT-TV Channel 4 in New York City, granted the first construction permit to operate a commercial television station in the US - It went to air on July 1, 1941 at 1:29 pm - Owned by Radio Corporation of America (RCA) - The station later changed its call letters to WRCA and still later, to WNBC
1942 Suspence debut on CBS Radio - The progam continued for another 20 years
1944 Rod Brasfield & The Poe Sisters joined the Grand Ole Opry
1945 Gene Autry discharged from the U. S. Army
1954 The Ozark Jubilee opened at Jewell Theatre
2003 *Maton Guitars opens its new factory in Box Hill, Melbourne, Victoria with guitar supremo Tommy Emmanuel doing the honours

1931 Jimmie Rodgers recorded "Southern Cannonball"
1933 Carter Family recorded "Will the Circle be Unbroken" - "Gold Watch and Chain" - "Give Me Roses While I Live" - "This is Like Heaven to Me" & "I Never Will Marry"
1937 Carter Family recorded "In the Shadow of Clinch Mountain" - "Lover's Lane" - "Funny When You Feel That Way" & "Hold Fast to the Right"

1997 Ricochet "Blink Of An Eye" album released on Sony
1997 Jimmie Rodgers "Father Of Country Music" album released on Pearl
1997 Chris LeDoux "Live" album released on Capitol
1997 Lee Roy Parnell "Every Night's A Saturday Night" album released on Arista
1997 Lila McCann "Lila" album released on Elektra

1954 Hank Snow - "I Don't Hurt Anymore" goes to #1, where it stayed for 20 weeks
1957 Jerry Lee Lewis #1 single, "Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On" charted

1942 Paul McCartney born James Paul McCartney in Liverpool, England
1944 Sandy Posey born in Jasper, Alabama
1958 Marty Haggard born in Bakersfield, California
---- *Johnny Mack

1984 Paul Howard died age 70
1987 Boudleaux Bryant died age 69 - Songwriter
1988 Jake Tullock - Long-time bass player for Foggy Mountain Boys
1989 Cecil Campbell died age 78
2004 Cousin Richie died in U.S. - Hillbilly singer - Rhode Island Country Music Hall Of Fame 1978

1829 *Colony of Western Australia proclaimed
1915 A. P. Carter married Sara Dougherty
1971 *VEW-8 TV, started in Kalgoorlie, Western Auatralia - Golden West Network (GWN) acquired VEW in December 1985 and is now a Seven Network affiliate
1984 "Rhinestone" Movie starring Dolly Parton & Sylvester Stallone premiered

1935 Louise Massey & The Westerners recorded "Draggin' The Bow"
1937 Carter Family recorded "You Better Let That Liar Alone" - "Little Girl That Played Upon My Knee" - "My Home's Across the Blue Ridge Mountains"
1941 Gene Autry recorded "It Makes No Difference Now" - "You Are My Sunshine"
1951 *Buddy Williams recorded "Wedding Bells" - "Murrumbidgee Blues" - "The Black Sheep" - "Freight Train Blues" - "I'm Gonna Tear Down the Mailbox"
1958 Marty Robbins recorded "Sittin' In a Treehouse"
1965 *Dusty Rankin recorded "The Intimate Style of Dusty Rankin EP" - "Promise to John" with Jean Stafford - "Strolling & Wondering" - "On the Trail Where the Rockies Meet the Sunset" - "She's a Rose From a Garden of Prayer"

1990 Pirates Of The Mississippi self titled album released on Capitol
1996 Confederate Railroad "Greatest Hits" album released on Atlantic
1996 Alejandro Escovedo "With These Hands" album released on Rykodisc
2001 *Wolverines released single highlighting the song "65 Roses" which aims to raise awareness & research funds for Cystic Fibrosis in Australia - Story of a young boy who couldn't say Cystic Fibrosis
2002 Jason Ringenberg "All Over Creation" album released
2002 Brad Martin "Wings Of An Honky Tonk Angel" album released on Epic

1955 Webb Pierce - "I Don't Care" charted to #1
1964 *Frank Ifield - "Angry At The Old Oak Tree" single debuted at #31 on the Australian Top 40 Chart reaching #29
1988 Alabama - "Alabama Live" album charted to #1

1903 Howard Dixon of the Dixon Brothers born in Darlington, South Carolina
1914 Lester Flatt born in Overton County, Tennessee
1915 Pat Buttram born in Winston County, Alabama - Hillbilly singer, comedian performed on WLS National Barn Dance - Had his own program in the late 1930's called Buttram's Palatial Palace of Wonders Died 8 January 1994
1925 Charlie Drake born in London England - Hit record "My Boomerang Won't Come Back"
1932 Norman Bullock born in U.S. - Hillbilly artist
1946 Lee Allen born Leamon Allen in the Appalachians in Kentucky - Bluegrass guitarist/singer/songwriter
1956 Doug Stone born in Marietta, Georgia
---- Noel Simonsen

1997 Bobby Helms died in Martinsville, Indiana

1829 Concertina a portable wind instrument patented by Sir Charles Wheatstone
1926 DeFord Bailey debuted on the Grand Ole Opry
1961 Everly Brothers launched their own record label Caliope intending "to discover & develop new talent - Their own recordings were still released by Warner - Did they discover any new talent?
1982 Riders in the Sky joined the Grand Ole Opry
1986 Ricky Van Shelton auditioned for CBS Record label executives Rick Blackburn & Steve Buckingham

1936 The Prairie Ramblers recorded "Maple on the Hill, Part 2"
1951 *Smoky Dawson recorded "The Man From Never Never" - "The Kookaburra Yodel" - "There's a New School Teacher" - "I'm Happy in the Land Where I Was Born" - "The Muster" & "The Farmer is the Man Who Feeds Us All"
1956 Dave Rich recorded "Your Pretty Blue Eyes" - "Ain't It Fine"
1965 Dickey Lee Pop/Country Singer/Songwriter, "Laurie (Strange Things Happen)" charted on Billboard Top 40 to #14

1950 Carl Smith released his First record "Guilty Conscience"
2007 James Alan Shelton "Walking Down The Line" album released on Sheltone - His nineth solo album is a collection of folk, bluegrass and country classics
2007 Ron Block "DoorWay" album released on Rounder - Second solo album from veteran guitarist/banjoist/vocalist/songwriter of Alison Krauss and Union Station
2007 Brad Paisley "5th Gear" album released on Arista Nashville - "Ticks" is first single from album
2007 King Wilkie "Low Country Suite" album released on Rounder

1965 Eddy Arnold "The Easy Way" album charted to #1
1972 Moe Bandy "She's Not Really Cheatin' (She's Just Gettin' Even)" album charted to #19
1984 Tammy Wynette "Soft Touch" album charted to #31

1916 T. Texas Tyler born David Luke Myrick in Mena, Arkansas - Died Jan 28 1972 at Springfield, Mo
1917 Jimmie Driftwood born James Corbett Morris in Mountain View, Arkansas - Died July 12 1998
1924 Chet Atkins born Chester Burton Atkins in Luttrell, Tennessee - Elected to Country Music Hall of Fame 1973 - Died June 30 2001
1945 Anne Murray born Morna Anne Murray in Springhill, Nova Scotia, Canada
---- *Gus Williams
---- *Dianne Corcoran

1965 Ira Louvin, age 41, and his wife, Anne, died in a car accident near Williamsburg, Missouri
1983 Louise Massey died, age 80 - WLS Barndance artist
1986 Whitey Ford, "The Duke of Paducah" died age 85 in Nashville Tennessee

1948 TV variety show "Toast of the Town" premieres - It later changes it's name to The Ed Sullivan Show
1972 Tallahatchie Bridge made famous in the Bobbie Gentry's 1967 song "Ode to Billie Joe" collapses

1951 *Smoky Dawson recorded Regal Zonophone singles, "Smoky" - "The Overlanders Song" - "Matilda Waltzes On" - "The Place where the Old Horse Died" - "Starlight Rides Again" & "The Wild Colonial Boy" At Columbia Studios Sydney, NSW

1995 Sonny Burgess "Hittin' That Jug: The Best Of Sonny Burgess" album released on AVI
2000 Prairie Oyster "String Of Pearls: A Greatest Hits Collection" album released on Arista
2000 Doyle Lawson "Just Over In Heaven" album released on Sugar Hill

1953 Eddy Arnold Top 10 single "Free Home Demonstration" charted
1960 Bill Anderson First Top 10 single "Tips of My Fingers" charted
1960 Brenda Lee "That's All You Gotta Do" (with Jerry Reid) charted on Billboard Top 40 To #6
1964 Porter Wagoner "Porter Wagoner In Person" album charted to #5 - Recoded in West Plains, Missouri
1970 Faron Young "Faron Young Sings "Occasional Wife" & "If I Ever Fall In Love With A Honky Tonk Girl" album charted to #31

1916 T. Texas Tyler born David Luke Myrick in Mena, Arkansas - Died Jan 28 1972 at Springfield, Mo
1917 Jimmie Driftwood born James Corbett Morris in Mountain View, Arkansas - Died July 12 1998
1924 Chet Atkins born Chester Burton Atkins in Luttrell, Tennessee - Elected to Country Music Hall of Fame 1973 - Died June 30 2001
1945 Anne Murray born Morna Anne Murray in Springhill, Nova Scotia, Canada
---- *Gus Williams
---- *Dianne Corcoran

1965 Ira Louvin, age 41, and his wife, Anne, died in a car accident near Williamsburg, Missouri
1983 Louise Massey died, age 80 - WLS Barndance artist
1986 Whitey Ford, "The Duke of Paducah" died age 85 in Nashville Tennessee

1948 TV variety show "Toast of the Town" premieres - It later changes it's name to The Ed Sullivan Show
1972 Tallahatchie Bridge made famous in the Bobbie Gentry's 1967 song "Ode to Billie Joe" collapses

1951 *Smoky Dawson recorded Regal Zonophone singles, "Smoky" - "The Overlanders Song" - "Matilda Waltzes On" - "The Place where the Old Horse Died" - "Starlight Rides Again" & "The Wild Colonial Boy" At Columbia Studios Sydney, NSW

1995 Sonny Burgess "Hittin' That Jug: The Best Of Sonny Burgess" album released on AVI
2000 Prairie Oyster "String Of Pearls: A Greatest Hits Collection" album released on Arista
2000 Doyle Lawson "Just Over In Heaven" album released on Sugar Hill

1953 Eddy Arnold Top 10 single "Free Home Demonstration" charted
1960 Bill Anderson First Top 10 single "Tips of My Fingers" charted
1960 Brenda Lee "That's All You Gotta Do" (with Jerry Reid) charted on Billboard Top 40 To #6
1964 Porter Wagoner "Porter Wagoner In Person" album charted to #5 - Recoded in West Plains, Missouri
1970 Faron Young "Faron Young Sings "Occasional Wife" & "If I Ever Fall In Love With A Honky Tonk Girl" album charted to #31

1938 Eddie Adcock born in Scottsville, Virginia
1947 *Chris Keating born in Melbourne, Victoria - Moved to Brisbane, Queensland in 1970
1948 Leon Everette born in Aiken, South Carolina
1948 *Lionel Rose - Australian World Boxing Champion & country music artist
1959 Kathy Mattea born in Cross Lanes, West Virginia
1964 Porter Howell born in Houston, Texas - Singer & guitarist with Little Texas
1977 Jeremy Koeltzow born in Hobart, Oklahoma - From contemporoary country group South Sixty-Five/South 65
---- *Michael Bryers

2003 Robert M Millsap died Nashville - Country publisher, producer, songwriter, DJ - Born 10 July 1939 Oklahoma
---- J. W. Gallagher - Guitar maker

1803 Dixfield, Maine incorporated in Oxford County - Founded in 1789 by Colonel Jonathan Holman and called Holmantown until its incorporation - An unkept promise by Dr. Elijah Dix who asked citizens to change the name to Dixfield, if he built the library, which he never did - Population in 2000 was 2,514
1952 *Dick Eckert married Gwen Graham

1949 Tennessee Ernie Ford recorded the Top 10 single "Smokey Mountain Boogie"
1955 Merle Travis recorded "Beer Barrel Polka"
1962 Louvin Brothers recorded "Wreck on the Highway"
1965 Ernest Tubb recorded "Blue Christmas" - "Who's Gonna be Your Santa Claus This Year"

1955 Johnny Cash released his First single "Hey Porter"
1988 Southern Pacific "Zuma" album released on Warner Brothers
1988 McCarters "The Gift" album released

1961 *The LeGarde Twins single debuted at #33 on the Australian Top 40 Chart reaching #32
1973 *Johnny Ashcroft "Playground In My Mind" single debuted at #33 on the Australian Top 40 Chart peaking at #8
1975 Don Williams single "You're My Best Friend" goes to #1

1930 Roy Drusky born in Atlanta, Georgia - Died September 23 2004
1936 Kris Kristofferson born in Brownsville, Texas
1978 Tammy Clowers born Tammy Lynn Clowers in Cranbrook, British Columbia, Canada
---- *Wendy Rendell Lawler
---- *Jamahl Hamilton
---- *Wanita

1962 Cameron Hill died, age 43, in Houston, Texas - Guitarist for the Texas Wandereres, Moon Mullican & Bob Wills And His Texas Playboys
1969 *Nellie Lamport died age 89 - Played Hilda the cook firstly in the ABC radio serial "The Lawsons" and then "Blue Hills" Her last episode of "Blue Hills" was No.3609 broadcast on 15 December 1965, recorded from her hospital bed

1959 Roy Drusky joined the Grand Ole Opry
1969 *C M Records of Dubbo - First country music session in Sydney with Johnny Heap
2007 Jo Dee Messina announced her engagement to Chris Deffenbaugh - They married on 21 October 2007

1923 Jim & Jesse recorded "Sweet Little Miss Blue Eyes"
1933 Gene Autry recorded "The Death of Jimmie Rodgers" - "In the Valley of the Moon" & "The Life of Jimmie Rodgers"
1954 Ernest Tubb recorded "Two Glasses Joe" - "The Woman's Touch" - "Kansas City Blues" - "Journey's End"
1955 *Buddy Williams recorded "I've Mortage the Farm Again" - "Sailor Boy" - "Away Out on the Plain" - "Ben Hall, the Bushranger" - "Buzzy, Buzzin' Round" - "A Yellow Dog's" - "There's Sunshine My Side of the Street" - "She Left Me For the Joys of Gold Love" for Regal Zonophone at Columbia Studios, Sydney. N.S.W.
1960 Hawkshaw Hawkins recorded "No Love for Me" - "You Know Me Much Too Well"
1962 Louvin Brothers recorded "Stuck Up Blues"
1981 Merle Haggard recorded the #14 single "Going Where the Lonely Go"

2004 Chris LeDoux "20 Originals: The Early Years" album released

1957 Ferlin Husky "Gone" single debuted on the Australian Top 20 Chart at #19 peaking at #13
1958 *Slim Dusty "Answer To The Pub With No Beer" single debuted at #30 on the Australian Top 40 Chart reaching #10
1963 Ernie Ashworth "Talk Back Trembling Lips" went to #1
1963 Johnny Cash "Ring of Fire" debuted on Billboard Top 40 to #17 #1 Country 7 weeks
1963 *Rolf Harris "Tie Me Kangaroo Down, Sport" debuted on Billboard Top 40 to #3 #1 Adult Contemporary 3 weeks
1968 Jerry Wallace "Another Time, Another World" album charted to #31
1968 Porter Wagoner "The Bottom Of The Bottle" album charted to #19
1974 Lynn Anderson "Smile For Me" album charted to #14
1992 *James Blundell "This Road" single debuted on the Austalian Top 40 Chart at #34 and peaking at #34
1996 Rhett Akins "Somebody New" album charted to #13

1929 June Carter born in Maces Springs, Virginia
1940 *Diana Trask born in Warburton, Victoria, Australia
1948 *Harold Williams
1953 Pake McEntire born in Chockie, Oklahoma
---- *Bluey Francis
---- *Heather Goddard
---- *Geoff Evans

1941 Walter Earle "Tubby" Lewis died of pneumonia age 24 - Jazz trumpeter with Bob Wills And His Texas Playboy
1972 Elton Britt died age 58
1980 Ted Lundy committed suicide - Bluegrass singer, guitarist, banjoist - Founded in the eary 60's, the Southern Mountain Boys with Fred Hannah on mandolin, Bob Paisley on guitar and fiddler Jerry Lundy - Recorded first album in 1962 and they continued to perform until his tragic death - Born 26 Jan 1937
1981 Arkie the Arkansas Woodchopper (Luther Ossenbrink) died age 65, in Marshall, Missouri
2002 Duane West, died age 61 Baritone singer of The Jordanaires from 1982-1999
2005 *Arthur Steinhardt died in Brisbane - Arthur married Gwen Hodges in 1950 - They had a strong christian faith, with Gwen singing in church choirs and Arthur working within the church - Both were enthusiasted supporters of traditional country music - Gwen is a traditional country & gospel singer who has recorded an album with Bob Salomon called "A Tribute to Les Wilson Arthur was born on 13 October 1923

1792 Versailles Kentucky was established on eighty acres belonging to Hezekiah Briscoe, a child whose guardians included the Maquis Calmes - Calmes named the town in honor of Versailles, the birthplace of General Lafayette - Population over 7,000 - Birthplace of country singer John Conlee
1990 US actor Gary Busey who played Buddy Holly in the "Buddy Holly Story" pays US$240,000 for one of Holly's guitars at an auction in New York

1933 Gene Autry recorded "There's an Empty Cot in the Bunkhouse Tonight" & "I'm Beggining to Care"
1950 Ernest Tubb & Red Foley recorded Top 10 single "Hillbilly Fever No. 2"
1952 Tommy Duncan recorded "I Don't Want to Hurt You" & "Excuse Me, I Gotta Go"
1967 Charley Pride recorded Top 5 single "Does My Ring Hurt Your Finger"

1977 Alabama released their First single "I Wanna Be With You Tonight" b/w "Lovin You is Killing Me"
1979 Charlie Daniels Band released "The Devil Went Down to Georgia"
1998 Randy Scruggs "Crown Of Jewels" album released on Warner Brothers
1998 Linda Ronstadt "We Ran" album released on Elektra
1999 Tex Ritter "Blood On The Saddle" released on Bear Family
2006 *Sensitive New Age Cowpersons "Other Peoples Greatest Hits" album released

1951 Eddy Arnold #1 single "I Wanna Play House With You" charted
1971 Jim Ed Brown "Angel's Sunday" album charted to #25
1973 Jim Ed Brown "Bar-Rooms & Pop-A-Tops" album charted to #28
1973 Jeanne Pruett "Satin Sheets" charted on Billboard Top 40 to #28, #1 Country
1990 Baillie & The Boys "The Light Of Home" album chartd to #35

1917 Ramblin' Tommy Scott born in Stephens County, Georgia
1918 Johnnie Bailes of the Bailes Brothers born in St. Albans, West Virginia
1929 Connie Hall born in Walden, Kentucky
1932 Louise Duncan born in Waco, Texas - Recorded "Gossip"/"Wherever You Are I Love You" for Capitol
1986 Kasey Lansdale born in Nacogdoches, Texas
---- *Grant Luhrs

1918 Bellaire Texas incorporated as a city in Harris County - Population 15,642
1960 The Romance of Helen Trent ends after 27 years and more than 7,000 episodes - One of radio's longest running soap operas - The series revolved around fashion designer Helen Trent
2000 Natalie Maines (Dixie Chicks) married actor Adrian Pasdar in a ceremony at A Little White Wedding Chapel in Las Vegas

1932 Gene Autry recorded "Back to Old Smokey Mountain" & "That Ramshackle Shack"
1965 Roy Acuff recorded "Life's Railway to Heaven"

2003 Ray Price "Burning Memories/Touch My Heart" 2 for 1 album released on Audium
2003 Blue Highway released "Wondrous Love" on Rounder

1957 Elvis Presley - "(Let Me Be Your) Teddy Bear" debuted on Billboard Top 40 To #1 Country #1
1971 *Peter Hiscock "A Certain Mr Brown" single debuted at #39 on the Australian Top 40 Chart peaking at #18
1972 Eagles - "Take It Easy" debuted on Billboard Top 40 to #12
1972 Sonny James single "That's Why I Love You Like I Do" went to #1
1978 Joe Sun - "Old Flames (Can't Hold a Candle to You)" charted
1978 Oakridge Boys "I'll Be True to You" went to #1

1925 Clifton Chenier born a Creole French speaking native of Opelousas, Louisiana - Zydeco singer, accordionist and songwriter whose career began in 1954 when he signed to Elko Records - His Zydeco Ramblers toured extensively and signed to Chess Records and then Arhoolie - His later, Red Hot Louisiana Band included his older brother Cleveland and his son C.J. - He is credited with redesigning the wood and crimped tin washboard into the frottoir, an instrument that would easily hang over the shoulders - Died 12 December 1987
1926 Joe Val born Joseph Valiante in Everett, Massachusetts - Bluegrass singer, songwriter, mandolin, banjo and guitar player - Formed the New England Bluegrass Boys in 1970 with guitarist Herb Applin, banjoist Bob French and bassist Bob Tidwell - First recording for Rounder Records in 1971 - Over the years guitarists Dave Dillon, Dave Haney, banjoists Paul Silvius and Karl Lauber replaced members of the band Died 11 June 1985
1952 *Tim Finn born Te Awamutu, N Z - Lead Vocalist Split Enz
---- *Matt Kimber

1987 Boudleaux Bryant, songwriter died age 67 in Knoxville, Tennessee

1847 *Melbourne Victoria proclaimed a city - Gazetted 5 February 1848
1942 It Pays To Be Ignorant first broadcast on WOR Radio and the Mutual Broadcasting System
1949 Billboard Magazine retitled its Hillbilly Music Chart "Country & Western"
1951 Premiere - The first Colour Television Program was seen, but not by the public which did'nt own any colour TV's at the time - It was a four-hour-long show presented on CBS and carried in New York City, Baltimore, Philadelphia, Boston and Washington D.C. - Arthur Godfrey, Faye Emerson and Ed Sullivan starred in the TV milestone - It was transmitted using the CBS Field Sequential System which was not compatable with the existing black-snd-white TV sets
1982 Lew Dewitt retired from the Statler Brothers

2002 SHeDaisy "Knock On The Sky" album released on Hollywood

1955 Eddy Arnold #1 single "The Cattle Call" charted
1966 David Houston #1 single "Almost Persuaded" charted
1977 Moe Bandy "The Best Of Moe Bandy Volume One" album charted to #18
1994 Tracy Byrd "No Ordinary Man" album charted to #3

1914 Doc Williams born in Cleveland, Ohio
1926 Kenny Baker born in Jenkins, Kentucky
1927 Little Roy Wiggins born in Nashville, Tennessee
1953 Ralph Ezell born in Union, Mississippi - Bass player with Shenandoah
1956 Chris Isaak born in Stockton, California - Rockabilly - singer/songwriter/guitarist
1959 Evelyn Cox born in Springhill, Louisiana - The Cox Family
---- *Jason Kemp - Australian Country Rock Entertainer based in Roma Qld

1979 Elvis' father Vernon Presley died of a heart attack in Tupelo, Mississippi age 63

1954 Cedarwood Publishing Company opened in Nashville
1977 Elvis Presley gave his last concert in Indianapolis, Indiana

1931 The Prairie Ramblers recorded "What Would You Give in Exhchage for Your Soul?"
1956 Moon Mullican recorded "Seven Nights to Rock"
1957 Don Gibson recorded "Blue Blue Day"
1957 *Smoky Dawson recorded "Don't Just Stand There" - "An Old Fashioned Locket and a Curl" - "Down Where the 'Bidgee Flows" - "All the Worlds a Stage"

1987 Rosanne Cash - "Kings Record Store" album released
1991 The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band "The Rest Of The Dream" album released on MCA
2001 Perfect Stranger "The Hits" album released on Curb
2001 Mark O'Connor "Hot Swing" album released on Omac
2001 Patty Loveless "Mountain Soul" album released on Sony
2001 BR5-49"This Is BR5-49" album released on Sony Nashville
2002 Hank Penny "Hillbilly Bebop" album released on WestSide
2007 Russ Barenberg "When At Last" album released on Compass - Guitarist plays bluegrass, Celtic and contradance flavoured tunes
2007 Charlie Daniels Band "Live From Iraq" album released on Blue Hat/Koch - 2-disc set features 13 songs from 4 shows recorded in Iraq when part of the Stars and Stripes Tour
2007 Kelly Willis "Translated From Love" album released on Rykodisc

1961 Brenda Lee "Dum Dum" debuted on Billboard Top 40 to #4
1961 Floyd Cramer "San Antonio Rose" debuted on Billboard Top 40 To #8
1961 Roy Drusky "Three Heart's in a Tangle" debuted on Billboard Top 40 to #35
1965 Brenda Lee "Too Many Rivers" debuted on Billboard Top 40 to #13
1965 Billy Walker "The Gun, The Gold and The Girl/Cross The Brazos At Waco" album charted to #13
1971 John Denver "Take Me Home Country Roads" debuted on Billboard Top 40 to #2
1974 Eagles "Already Gone" debuted on Billboard Top 40 To #32

Back
Top Bottom