Blood controls brain activity

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

RobinN

Super Mom
Reaction score
According to Moore's Hemo-Neural Hypothesis, blood is not just a physiological support system but actually helps control brain activity. Specifically, localized changes in blood flow affect the activity of nearby neurons, changing how they transmit signals to each other and hence regulating information flow throughout the brain. Ongoing studies in Moore's laboratory support this view, showing that blood flow does modulate individual neurons.

To Moore's knowledge, the Hemo-Neural Hypothesis offers an entirely new way of looking at the brain. "No one ever includes blood flow in models of information processing in the brain," he asserts. One historical exception is the philosopher Aristotle, who thought the circulatory system was responsible for thoughts and emotions. Perhaps the ancient Greeks were on to something.
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/10/071016101445.htm

Do you think we can finally peel away the labels?

Robin,
Changes in brain blood flow in relation to seizures was recognized around the turn of the century. In one of his books, Robert Fried described how that theory was tossed in favor of the 'electronic switchboard', "brain as machine" model around the time the phone and switchboards came into vogue. Learning to regulate breathing is one of the most effective ways to alter blood brain flow and affect seizure activity in learning self-control of seizures.
This is what we do when we learn deep diaphragmatic breathing and relaxation techniques as well as self-hypnosis and autosuggestion. This kind of change in regulation of breathing also comes about with neurofeedback training.

1976 abstract on cerebral blood flow and seizures
http://archneur.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/abstract/33/8/527

Yoga with note on epilepsy:
http://www.yoga-in-daily-life.org/articles/show.asp?id=20030311201

Last edited:
Hmmmmmm Interesting reading!

Now - is there an article about Mr.
Spock's brain? Or is that to highly
illogical?

(ducking head)

:D

thank you Zoe. I have a brochure for Yoga classes on my desk. I need to find the time.

Maybe it is something you and Rebecca both can take up? When I get my van back I'm going to try and work it in when I go to town.

Hmmmmmm Interesting reading!

Now - is there an article about Mr.
Spock's brain? Or is that to highly
illogical?

(ducking head)

:D

Here's the lyrics!( )

Mr. Spock's Brain

Right now I'm feeling sick
I think I'll be a lunatic
My senses are out of control
I am a vulcan without a soul
Mr Spock's brain
Something has stolen it again
ran away with my very special brain
We have searched all of the Enterprise
negative result, this isn't nice
Where is my brain
Oh, what a pain
I'm going insane
We have to find it within an hour
otherwise it will lose its power
The price of a new one is too high
will I survive or will I die
Where is my brain
Oh, what a pain
I'm going insane
Mr Spock's brain

:roflmao: @ Zoe

Birdy's going to DIE of Laughter when
seeing you racked up Mr. T!

Nice Selection of Vehicle, I mean Model
T - by the way!

:lol:

PS: I snatched that graphic for my files
too!

:pfft:

No pity here!

Just need to wash the keyboard again!

bwahahah_70.jpg

Last edited:
Mr. T's got a joyful smile! Makes me smile too! I like that "ok" attitude.

New article on brain blood flow study:

"Blood may also help us think
From our ANI Correspondent

Washington, Oct 16: MIT researchers have discovered a new function for blood in addition to its well-known role as the conveyor of fuel and oxygen to brain cells -that it may actually help us think.

According to researchers, their findings suggest that besides providing nutrients and oxygen to the body's cells, blood actually helps control brain activity.

The team theorizes that localized changes in blood flow affect the activity of nearby neurons, changing how they transmit signals to each other and hence regulating information flow throughout the brain.

"We hypothesize that blood actively modulates how neurons process information. Many lines of evidence suggest that blood does something more interesting than just delivering supplies. If it does modulate how neurons relay signals, that changes how we think the brain works," iveScience quoted lead researcher Christopher Moore, as saying.

He added that his theory has implications for understanding brain diseases such as Alzheimer's, schizophrenia, multiple sclerosis and epilepsy."
Link to Full Article:
http://www.dailyindia.com/show/182948.php/Blood-may-also-help-us-think

Zoe then why did you take him off?

:?:
I was just trying something else, but his smile is so upbeat! I guess that mean's Birdy will have to wash the keyboard again!

I was just trying something else, but his smile is so upbeat! I guess that mean's Birdy will have to wash the keyboard again!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

:hj:

There is a veritable treasure trove of comedic gold Mr. T videos on youtube.

mrt.jpg

Better be nice to me!
:)

One of the most effective strategies for learning to prevent or abort a seizures is to slow down one's breathing. Meditation is one way to learn to do this.

1: Psychol Bull. 2006 Mar;132(2):180-211.

Meditation states and traits: EEG, ERP, and neuroimaging studies.

Cahn BR, Polich J.

Department of Neurosciences and Medical School, University of California, San
Diego, CA, USA.

Neuroelectric and imaging studies of meditation are reviewed.
Electroencephalographic measures indicate an overall slowing subsequent to
meditation, with theta and alpha activation related to proficiency of practice.
Sensory evoked potential assessment of concentrative meditation yields amplitude
and latency changes for some components and practices. Cognitive event-related
potential evaluation of meditation implies that practice changes attentional
allocation. Neuroimaging studies indicate increased regional cerebral blood flow
measures during meditation. Taken together, meditation appears to reflect changes
in anterior cingulate cortex and dorsolateral prefrontal areas.
Neurophysiological meditative state and trait effects are variable but are
beginning to demonstrate consistent outcomes for research and clinical
applications. Psychological and clinical effects of meditation are summarized,
integrated, and discussed with respect to neuroimaging data.

PMID: 16536641 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Related Links

Psychophysiological correlates of the practice of Tantric Yoga meditation. [Arch
Gen Psychiatry. 1978] PMID:365124

Intracerebral pain processing in a Yoga Master who claims not to feel pain during
meditation. [Eur J Pain. 2005] PMID:16139187

[The neurobiological dimension of meditation--results from neuroimaging studies]
[Psychother Psychosom Med Psychol. 2006] PMID:17160792

Cerebral blood flow during meditative prayer: preliminary findings and
methodological issues. [Percept Mot Skills. 2003] PMID:14620252

Human anterior and frontal midline theta and lower alpha reflect emotionally
positive state and internalized attention: high-resolution EEG investigation of
meditation. [Neurosci Lett. 2001] PMID:11524157

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez

Back
Top Bottom