generic keppra

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
has anyone taken Levetiracetam? I really dont want to take it because i have ALOT of doubts about this medicine..this may sound paranoid, but i dont trust it. My mom picked it up for me today because they wouldnt give me keppra unless i got another letter from my doctor..and the bottle says "no common side effects" ...BS!!!

What do you guys think about it?

levetiracetam should have the same side effects as the brand name keppra. i have been taking the brand name for the past 5 years. the last time i refilled my prescription, the pharmacy gave me the generic. that was about 3 weeks ago; so far i've not had any problems with it. no seizures, no auras, no new side effects. (my insurance requires i get the generic--otherwise i have to pay the difference, which is a lot of $$$)

I dont get it though. Why all of the sudden do you need an extra doctors letter for you to get keppra? I was so pissed..

I dont get it though. Why all of the sudden do you need an extra doctors letter for you to get keppra? I was so pissed..

My pharmacy told me for insurance purposes, the doctor needs to write on the prescription "Brand Name Medically Necessary". By doing this, my insurance company can't have the upper hand in me taking the generic. My Neuro says she wants me on brand Keppra because she believes there is about an 11% increase OR decrease in the actual drug if it is generic.

;)

For some

meds, there really is a difference in how they work. Technically, the generic and the brand name are SUPPOSED TO BE IDENTICAL. This is not always the case, though--especially when it comes to the fillers. And, usually it's the fillers that actually cause the problems.

So, be prepared to fight the insurance company. And also be prepared to shell out more. However, the extra money IS worth it. I am the most stable I have ever been--the couple of times that the pharmacy slipped up and put me on generics--OMG, the mess was unbelievable, and my husband and best friend presented them with the hospital bills. The correlation was direct and immediate. (Yes, they paid the bills).

Do whatever you have to do.......but get those brand name drugs if that is what works for you.

I have been on Keppra since April. When I filled my rx at the first of the month, the pharmecy replaced it with the generic (without telling me.) About a week later, I started waking up with migraines and they got worse every morning. I contacted my dr's office and was told they suspected the generic. They said they had a lot of patients experiencing the same problem. They contacted insurance company and told them I was not to take generic due to side effects and they put me back on Keppra that day. It took a few days to get the generics out of my system, but I could tell the head pain was lessening over the days. I pay $25 w/my insurance for Keppraand paid $15 for generic...it should is worth the $10 to feel better.
Everyone talks about health care reform, but the number one problem for those with insurance is the insurance company is allowed to decide my medical treatment. Insurance companies need to be held responsible for taking action that is harmful for us and quit working on the basis of saving their payout

Hi Morgan or Come to the Dark Side

I have had no problem with Keppra or the generic. We all have different side effects to different medicines.

Some have bad side effects to Keppra and others have bad side effects to the generic.

I was just talking to my SIL. She has a coworker who was just put on generic Kep from the brand Kep and this poor soul has been having a significant increase in seizures.

im terrified of going off regular keppra because its the only thing that works for me...and im just starting to get my life together after six yrs of hell..
Some people say this stuff is the same but ive only heard bad things about it.

If you're concerned about the switch to generic, it's probably worth the extra effort to have a note from your doctor...Like Dispatch said, it's all because the insurance company is trying to save themselves a buck. Just be prepared for them to say that you have to pay the difference between the generic cost and the brand cost. Perhaps, if your doc states it is medically necessary, you can get the additional fee waived...Best of luck!

im terrified of going off regular keppra because its the only thing that works for me...and im just starting to get my life together after six yrs of hell..
Some people say this stuff is the same but ive only heard bad things about it.
I feel for you! It took many trials of meds and med cocktails before I found Keppra. I wasted crazy amount of years testing others. I had no life for about 6 years. I just started the generic, and I am soooo upset. I have been on it for about a week and talk about headaches! That's not even the worst part. I am living in what seems to be a constant aura, with only occasions of lucidity in between seizures. I feel like I did when I was in my hell years! I do not want to go back there! Here's hoping it works for you, but if it doesn't, just know you are not alone.

Hi Eileen

Keppra works for me. I have been on it for a year now. My neurologist made it clear that I had to take Vitamin B Complex to get rid of some of the side effects. It works.

Hi Eileen

Keppra works for me. I have been on it for a year now. My neurologist made it clear that I had to take Vitamin B Complex to get rid of some of the side effects. It works.
I agree Keppra, to my knowlege is the best one out there. thanks for the tip, but i have very few side effects with Keppra. the generic is not working at all! I guess the complex would help the headaches, but i dont think it will stop the seizures. Just curious, what side effects do you have to control with b complex from Keppra?

Hi Eileen

I do not know which side effects. I just know it works with Vitamin B complex. It does help my seizures and the headaches. No medicine stops our seizures.

I dont get it, All of you guys are being forced to take generic because your insurance company wont let you at all? or is it because u need a letter and your doctor doesnt think its 100% neccisary? (cant spell lol) How expensive is a bottle of keppra without insurance backing you up? o_O

If the dr completes the Rx as "fill as prescribe", they have to use brand name. My dr's office has not used that option previously as there was no generic, but now they are changing their procedures on prescriptions.
My understanding that without insurance, Keppra is between $250 - $300 for 30 days of pills. Ouch!

WOW O.O yah thats pretty steep. So how much is the generic then? I cant see how anyone can survive without really good insurance. They really screw you.

Hi Chinchillaachic18

I think you got the wrong subscription. I am on the generic. I have good insurance.
Those without insurance have problems, I can imagine. You say it is pretty steep. How steep is it?

Further explanation:

If the Doctor writes on the prescription:
"Medically Necessary" or "Dispense As
Written" - or whatever your State Law
requires (even though it has a check
mark box - they still have to write it in
if the State requires it, such as Florida
does on specific drugs) - then the Insurance
has to pay up.

Your Insurance Company should have
provided you the Manual Book that has
the Tier I, Tier II, and Tier III or some
cases Tier IV. If your drug is not on the
list and you are "medically required", your
Doctor's Office can notify the HMO, POS,
etc - and alert them for an "override" and
"pre-approval", due to the fact that there
is proof that there is formulary fluctuation
in the generic than in the brand name,
and the risk factor is far greater if the
patient is on the generic.

Example: Zonegran, There are many
generics of Zonisamide! Due to this reason,
the fluctuations of Zonisamide is so great
that it is required for me to be on Zonegran,
because I experienced increased seizures
due to variations of being on different
brands of generics! I am on "override"
and take the brand name only, on this
one. I am also on override for Lamictal
as well.

================

Many States have Insurance Programs
and even in Counties in some areas for
those who are uninsured or under-insured
and you "may" qualify for additional help
or insurance and/or assistance.

In addition, Drug Manufacturers also
has programs (not all of them but quite
a few of them) available to those who
cannot afford the medication(s). CWE
has a place for this information:

WHEN YOU CAN'T AFFORD MEDICATION

My current prescription of Keppra is just under $700 for a 30 day supply and my Lamictal is about $300 without insurance coverage! I found that out when my husband changed jobs and we were without insurance for a month...Ouch! I did the math once, and the Keppra cost me approximately $4 per tablet and the Lamictal about $5 per tablet that month. With the insurance, my co-pay for brand name is $50 each drug; the generic is $25 each drug, but if I wanted (or my doc ordered) me to take the brand name now that the generics are available I would have to pay the difference between the cost and my co-pay for the generic. (for keppra, it would be about $675)

Back
Top Bottom