generic keppra

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

I take the regular Keppra.
My Dr told me not to take the Generic...................he said he didn't like it.

There are enough instances out there where the generic varies widely in the level of active ingredient. At this point it's incredible that a neurologist wouldn't be aware of the risk of switching to generic, and cautious about the process.

I think the nuero. said what he had to. They like to keep costs down. He had no problem changing the order and i think if he really thought it was 'no problem' he would have stated a stronger case for the generic. The Pharmacist was very honest. She said she felt the generic was just not consistent enough for epilepsy!

I had same experience but I noticed the difference in the look of the meds and that was when I learned I had been switched. I started having migraines that kept getting worse, after a week I called neuro. He explained the problems with generic seizure meds. He contacted pharmist and got me brand name. They found out my doc's RX pad had generic as acceptable for prescritions but at the time I started on Keppra, there was no generic.
I have been on brand name only since. although I had to educate my pharmist this week. He has been delaying getting my meds blaming it that I am only one that take brand at that level. I explained generics are not good and explained it to him...he had no idea...scary!

My neurologist has me take the brand name Keppra, 3000 mg. a day. Once, I noticed my pharmacist did try to change it to generic without consulting me or my neuro, just because of the cost. I told him my dr. says it does not work for me, I need the brand name and refused to leave the pharmacy until they gave me the "real thing".
Now, when I have my RX refilled, I do receive only the brand name.

My 11 year old son was diagnosed with Generalized Epilepsy March of 2011. We first tried Lamictal which caused a massive outbreak of hives. Dr switched him to Levetiracetam. He has not been the same since. Lack of motivation, moodiness, depression, and thoughts of suicide. He is 11 years old!!! This breaks my heart. We have a follow up next week and, after reading everyones posts, we will be talking to the Dr about switching to Keppra. It sounds like these side effects could be coming from the fillers of the generic. Wish us luck!

Unfortunately, those side effects are most likely coming from the Keppra, regardless of whether it's generic or not. Keppra is well known for causing the moodiness and depression that your son had been suffering from. I do hope that the Dr. will offer up a different med that will be better for your son.

Good luck! And let us know what the doc says.

I know this is a old Topic. But I had the same issue. About a year and a half ago. My doctor switch me to generic. Useing Drugs website I was able to locate the companys that I had issue with Dr. Reddy’s Laboratories Inc. drug Levetiracetam RDY 82, and Lupin Pharmaceuticals, Drug Inc LU X02. The pharmacy fault they put in both in one Pill bottle. On the frist week of taking the pills I started having seziures and Lost my Drivers Lis.

At frist my doctor did not believe Generic would affect a person this way and wanted me to go on a third medication. I explain to her it was the generics medications. She was like that almost impossable but she agree with me and went back on the Name brand Keppra. Well 6 month later she was still not sure so we waited 6 more months

Untel she explain you must be that 10% that are affected by generic medications. It not the medications but the Inactive ingrediance that cause it. I pointed out even the Inactive Ingrediance has a job in time release of the medication If it release to slow or to fast. It can affect the user. For me It was to slow and I started having Seziures.

I also pointed out 10% is to much of a risk for anyone.

Back
Top Bottom