Psych symp. in Adults and Metabolism disorders

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Zoe

Alternative Research Encyclopedia
Reaction score
I post this abstract here because seizures are a symptom of many inborn errors of metabolism. Often what you find in medical texts are the more extreme examples when there are many variations in this area.

Title Psychiatric manifestations revealing inborn errors of metabolism in adolescents and adults.
Author(s) Sedel F, Baumann N, Turpin JC, Lyon-Caen O, Saudubray JM, Cohen D
Institution Federation of Nervous System Diseases, Hôpital de la Salpêtrière, 47 Boulevard de l’Hôpital, 75651, Paris cedex 13, France.
Source J Inherit Metab Dis 2007 Aug 10.
Abstract Inborn errors of metabolism (IEMs) may present in adolescence or adulthood as a psychiatric disorder. In some instances, an IEM is suspected because of informative family history or because psychiatric symptoms form part of a more diffuse clinical picture with systemic, cognitive or motor neurological signs. However, in some cases, psychiatric signs may be apparently isolated. We propose a schematic classification of IEMs into three groups according to the type of psychiatric signs at onset. Group 1 represents emergencies, in which disorders can present with acute and recurrent attacks of confusion, sometimes misdiagnosed as acute psychosis. Diseases in this group include urea cycle defects, homocysteine remethylation defects and porphyrias. Group 2 includes diseases with chronic psychiatric symptoms arising in adolescence or adulthood. Catatonia, visual hallucinations, and aggravation with treatments are often observed.
This group includes homocystinurias, Wilson disease, adrenoleukodystrophy and some lysosomal disorders. Group 3 is characterized by mild mental retardation and late-onset behavioural or personality changes. This includes homocystinurias, cerebrotendinous xanthomatosis, nonketotic hyperglycinaemia, monoamine oxidase A deficiency, succinic semialdehyde dehydrogenase deficiency, creatine transporter deficiency, and alpha and beta mannosidosis. Because specific treatments should be more effective at the 'psychiatric stage' before the occurrence of irreversible neurological lesions, clinicians should be aware of atypical psychiatric symptoms or subtle organic signs that are suggestive of an IEM. Here we present an overview of IEMs potentially revealed by psychiatric problems in adolescence or adulthood and provide a diagnostic strategy to guide metabolic investigations.
Language ENG
Pub Type(s) JOURNAL ARTICLE

PubMed ID 17694356

Zoe - does this mean that the psychological manifestations occur prior to any lasting damage. They should be viewed as a warning sign that something is amiss?

Must have spaced it out. I usually do include the link with any quote.

Hi Robin,
I think that was the point, that the psychological changes are symptoms that may be due to metabolism disorders. Thus, we should not be too quick to jump to conclusions but take the behavior as signalling something and try to figure it out.

I don't know what I am missing here.... I certainly was not a med student or even all that good in science, but this conclusion is what I somehow instinctively knew when Rebecca got sick. I tried to bring it up to a few doctors and received a puzzled look.
To me it is as if this is being street smart... having common sense... a DUH moment.
Wonder how much was spent on this research.

Duh!!!

Duh, is right, right where a lot of docs are at. Do you remember the Golden Fleece awards, for research projects that fleeced the taxpayers? Someone got the award once for a study that cost I think, $300,000 and which "proved" that children fall off their tricycles because they lose their balance.
There, there, do we feel enlightened now?
I don't know what I am missing here.... I certainly was not a med student or even all that good in science, but this conclusion is what I somehow instinctively knew when Rebecca got sick. I tried to bring it up to a few doctors and received a puzzled look.
To me it is as if this is being street smart... having common sense... a DUH moment.
Wonder how much was spent on this research.

I think my best bet is to start a notebook with many of this information, so her doctor can view what I have found. Then we will begin on specific questions.

I am curious how others keep the information that they find sorted out so a discussion can happen with your doctors

Duh, is right, right where a lot of docs are at. Do you remember the Golden Fleece awards, for research projects that fleeced the taxpayers? Someone got the award once for a study that cost I think, $300,000 and which "proved" that children fall off their tricycles because they lose their balance.
There, there, do we feel enlightened now?

Well the US Government feels it's okay to spend
$49.00 for a $9.00 Hammer, so I guess...

:loco:

Metabolic disorders are showing up in many places connected to Vaccines

Vaccine Induced Inflammation Linked to Epidemic of Type 2 Diabetes and
Metabolic Syndrome

Japanese and Other Ethnic Minorities at Increased Risk

BALTIMORE, April 4, 2008 /PRNewswire/ -- Newly published data by Dr. J.
Barthelow Classen in The Open Endocrinology Journal shows a 50% reduction of
type 2 diabetes occurred in Japanese children following the discontinuation of
a single vaccine, a vaccine to prevent tuberculosis. This decline occurred at
a time when there is a global epidemic of type 2 diabetes and metabolic
syndrome, which includes obesity, altered blood cholesterol levels, high blood
pressure, and increased blood glucose resulting from insulin resistance.
Classen proposes a new explanation for the epidemic of both insulin
dependent diabetes (type 1 diabetes), which has previously been shown to be
caused by vaccines and non insulin dependent diabetes (type 2 diabetes). Upon
receipt of vaccines or other strong immune stimulants some individuals develop
a hyperactive immune system leading to autoimmune destruction of insulin
secreting cells. Other individuals produce increased cortisol, an immune
suppressing hormone, to suppress the vaccine induced inflammation. The
increased cortisol leads to type 2 diabetes and metabolic syndrome. Japanese
children have increased cortisol secretion following immunization compared to
White children and this explains why Japanese have a relative high rate of
type 2 diabetes but low rate of insulin dependent diabetes compared to Whites.
The lower cortisol response attributed to type 1 diabetes and the higher
cortisol response attributed to type 2 diabetes explains why type 1 diabetics
are generally leaner than type 2 diabetics since elevated cortisol causes
weight gain.
"The current data shows that vaccines are much more dangerous than the
public is lead to believe and adequate testing has never been performed even
in healthy subjects to indicate that there is an overall improvement in health
from immunization. The current practice of vaccinating diabetics as well as
their close family members is a very risky practice," says Dr. J. Barthelow
Classen.
Classen's research has become widely accepted. To view the published
papers and to find out the latest information on the effects of vaccines on
autoimmune diseases including insulin dependent diabetes visit the Vaccine
Safety Web site www.vaccines.net/newpage11.htm
Classen Immunotherapies, Inc.
6517 Montrose Avenue Baltimore, MD 21212 U.S.A.
Tel: (410) 377-8526 Classen@vaccines.net
vaccines.net

i'm new here so i'm not quite sure how this works but i'll have a go.

i have a 14yr old daughter with epilepsy. it is written as most likely juvenile absence epilepsy , but now they think it may be myoclonic absence epilepsy which i'm told is quite rare. her epilepsy started 6 years ago and she has tried every med available, suffered every side effect including some extras,(very unpleasant)none of which have worked. she has over the past few years gained an excessive amount of weight which we thought to have been caused by the meds. however she has been off meds for 6 months now and is much improved in every area, including her seizures. she is still having them, between 5-20 a day but this is a huge improvement from the 100s she was having on meds. but the weight is still increasing not as fast now but when she last saw her psychologist she suggested that maybe she had a problem with her thyroid., and it got me wondering if there was a link between the 2 as she started gaining weight before she got epilepsy. the more i dig for info the more things pop up that make sense. she is due to see her consultant in a few weeks so i will ask him about it and my daughters psychologist has sent him a note about it. i was wondering if anyone has had anything like this so i dont go in there looking like im clutching at straws, because thats how i feel sometimes when i suggest something to the consultant. anyone else feel like that?

Honestly, I

think all of us have felt that way at one time or another. So don't feel like you're the only one! There has been talk though, of a tie between the thyroid and seizures....... look at these links:

http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/f22/thyroid-dysfunction-seizures-2738/

http://www.medhelp.org/forums/neuro/messages/34490.html

http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/118750910/abstract?CRETRY=1&SRETRY=0

These are just 3 links I got from Googling "thyroid and seizures" In particular, hypothyroidism, which is known for weight gain....because the thyroid works too slow (boy do I know this.....I have this problem).

The first link, you'll see, is from this very website. And goes over the GARD diet........which I also happen to use, and am helped immensely by. The I haven't DROPPED a lot of weight, I also haven't GAINED any, either. And THAT I am happy with.

Hope this is a good start.....

Take care,

Meetz
:rock:

Hi Zoejess,
I think another area that needs to be looked at is the Adrenal Glands.
I am currently looking at this for my 16 yr old, and this gland monitors most hormones and the thyroid gland.

http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/f23/adrenal-fatigue-2748/
http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/f23/systemic-candida-causing-seizures-2915/

Just something to read up about. Either discount them or take the info with you to your doctor. There is a lot of info to digest in some of those links.

A few years ago, I totally cut out red meat and all forms of soda, caffeine and ate a very very low fat diet. I fit back into my jeans that I thought I would never wear. I got applauded at a weight loss meeting. Once I got started, I was OK. My walk with my dog also seems to help.

I frequently made a LOT of crustless pumpkin pie with very little sugar. It was both a vegetable and a dessert. My trick was to find that low calorie healthy food as a treat. My splurge was whipped cream on top. I also cut out bread.

One thing has recently caught my attention with regards to medication. A lot of our medications have some sodium in them. I wish I know the percentage in each type of medication. We'd have to adjust our diet to accommodate the right amount of sodium.

The weight loss group emphasized drinking lots of water. I do not recommend that. It can wash electrolytes and/or medication out of your system. When I cut out diet soda, that seemed to really make a difference. This makes absolutely no sense, but I'm beginning to hear similar stories in the news. They claim diet soda and artificial sweeteners have a very strong sweet taste. Either it's fooling a person's system into gaining weight or it causes a stronger craving for sweets.

Back
Top Bottom