any way to make it stop?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Rae1889

Veteran
Reaction score
Hey just a random question...

I know that people say that there is nothing you can do to stop a seizure pnce it starts. I'm assuming they mean in a random situation as they do stop seizures in the ER.

just wondering if there was anything Chad can do to stop a grand mal/cluster? *i'm prone to having more than one or long ones* what i'm getting at is if there in anything he can inject me with or make me swallow in the few minutes I have in between to prevent more or stop the long ones?

I ask only because I know they give EpiPins to stop anaphylaxis, insulin for diabetic shock and some gluco-gon injections for hypoglycemia. and these are all for at home use.
Just wondering. I tried to googleit, but once again i am bad at that. everything that came up pertained to dogs

EDIT: i know you can orally take a few meds while your having alot of simple partials or complex partials in a day. But do those work to prevent a grand mal? and how long does it take to work?

Last edited:
Hey Rae,

The only thing that I know of was pressing the dent below the nose above the lip (philtrum - pressure point). It seemed to do the trick for me and when I found myself shocked that it worked I asked a doctor and called an accupunctarist (< spelling is probably totally wrong but you get the gist) and neither one of them were shocked and told me that it's known as the rescue point and said I should use it also if I ever see someone drop to the ground having a heart attack to press that spot. It worked for me and it would take me right out of the seizure to the point that I would remember things occuring immediatly after where usually after a seizure I wouldn't remember things. Although it didn't work 100% but probably 99%. Give it a shot and see if it works. Oh, the only bad thing about it was I did have a bit of a headache the next day (my seizures are nocturnal so I would go back to bed and then wake up with a slight headache). GOOD LUCK!

I've heard that that pressure point can work too, although there is the risk of headache since you're pushing on a cranial nerve. And some ERs use a "pen" to push on that pressure point. Something eles that works occasionally is if at the slightest hint of a seizure coming on, someone shouts something really loud (like your name) right away to interrupt the seizure. For some people , inhaling a certain scent can interrupt the seizure.

But I guess there is nothing to stop it once it starts. I'm pressing on that dent all day at work. I find myself doing it alot, so I dont think it actually hurts me. its like a comfort spot for me. Like pinching the skin on the inside of your bicep. That is supposed to be wicked painful, but I dont feel it at all.

The only true pain I ever felt was when I got my foot tattoo. Also I vaguely remember it really hurting when I got a pole through my arm. not all the way through but almost. I had that happen the same time I had my bike accident when I landed on my head. Tore my helmet to peices and scarred alot of stuff.

I've heard that that pressure point can work too, although there is the risk of headache since you're pushing on a cranial nerve. And some ERs use a "pen" to push on that pressure point.

It's when people push too hard on that point that it can cause a headache. Of course anyone watching a convulsion will be a bit stressed so it is probably pretty hard to train them to press lightly while they're in a bit of a panic.

hmm, how lightly? I'm pressing it now, but its not hurting. or is it not supposed to hurt? ....
But there is nothing out there like and EpiPen? or will an EpiPen work?

There have been cases where an extreme overdose of an epilepsy drug through an IV has worked. The highest dosage of Keppra I heard about was 12,000mg (3000mg is the max dosage). It worked and they lived with no side effects. From what I have read there is really nothing for sure and easy.

hmm, how lightly? I'm pressing it now, but its not hurting. or is it not supposed to hurt? ....

From what I learned in acupressure the pressure should be firm but to not really push with any effort.

I saw another acupressure move online where the acu-person crosses their wrists and has their hands palms up, and then firmly grips the thumbs of the person having the seizure (who's hands are palms down). Sounds complicated -- if you try it, let us know the results...

was there a video to that, I'm not quite sure I am understanding... But i think I'll try that one....well Chad will have to try it for me, as i take the role of the one seizing. :)

ooh! I found an illistration. alright i'll try it. It doesnt say how long to hold the thumbs though Well We will try a few different time lengths if the first one doesnt work instantly. Or i'll just get him to hold it until the seizure stops and time how long that was, or if the seizure stops on its own.

Kelvar how long does it take you?

I have been given Ativan for Rebecca in case she has a seizure that goes status.
I have never had to use it.

Robin, what does that look like. I know you can take Ativan orally and I know they have me ativan when I was in the hospital. But I don't remember if it was in my IV or directly

The second time they have me something with a D that they put in my nose I think. Can't find that name either...

I think midazolam is given nasally to stop seizures -- maybe you got something along those lines.

This is probably not good after a TC starts, however I have found that when I am having an aura two things 'seem' to help.

1. Long, slow breathing.

2. Getting VERY angry at the seizure. I found this by accident and it is only a theory. When I was having lots of auras, I found myself getting pissed off about it and that strong emotional focus seemed to bring me back and keep me from going into the TC. This did worry me though, because I feared lashing out at someone while postictal. I think that giving the brain that strong focus, it might help break the chain reaction.

Nak, maybe it was that, but for the life of me I can't remember. For all I know it doesn't even have a D in it. They could have shoved butter up my nose and I wouldn't have gotten that right.

Kelvar how long does it take you?
Hey Rae, I think it takes a second or two to get out of the seizure once my husband presses the dent. I know it happens quick and most times gets me TOTALLY out of it because while my husband is pressing the dent I'll say, "Stop it, I'm not seizing" and then I'll go immediately back to sleep and remember the whole thing the next morning. Still believing I didn't seize : ) he'll tell me YES I was seizing. I remember the 1st time I had him try it he was SHOCKED because it worked so quickly but then there were a few times when it didn't work. It's worked a lot more than the times it didn't. There's another pressure point at the base of the thumb (on the hand). I'm sure there's lots of them. GOOD LUCK!

I had another complex partial last night, tried the nose thing and nothing...BUT....the thumb thing did kick me out of it. Chad said it was a bit hard to get me to give him my hands, but it worked.

Now the question is if it will kick me out a tonic clonic. its been a week since I had one, so it hopefully will take a while to try this out.

That's so cool that you found thumbthing that works!

Robin, what does that look like. I know you can take Ativan orally and I know they have me ativan when I was in the hospital. But I don't remember if it was in my IV or directly

The second time they have me something with a D that they put in my nose I think. Can't find that name either...

It is in pill form. Sublingual I believe. I have not used the prescription. I am going to pick it up for a week long field trip Rebecca is going on to Yosemite. Just as a precaution.

There is another med that is a suppository, but that should only be done with privacy in mind.

Back
Top Bottom