feeling angry crying no reason

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

horsehead

New
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone else has felt like this before or after a seizure. This weekend i woke up with my husband holding me to a chair telling me i passed out after I vomited and felt horrible. Yesterday I got so angry i was punching and kicking and throwing things for no reason at all. i got in the shower and cried uncontrolably. Then i felt so weak I could barely stand. The neuros keeps telling me I'm not having seizures but I cant figure out whats wrong. What do you guys think about this ? Can this happen from anexity alone?

I'm sorry you're suffering so horsehead.

From what I've read, and from my partner's personal experience, it could be caused by a panic disorder, frontal lobe epilepsy, or, if you've just started a new med regimen, it could be caused by the meds, or skipping a day's meds.

What other sorts of signs an symptoms do you have? Are you on meds right now?

I'm taking lexapro 20mg and enalapril 10mg. I've been taking these for a couple of years no changes.
as far as other symptoms. i've had tc type spells passing out and convulsing, stairing spells where people around me say they have talked to me and i dont respond, spells where I cant move or see. Periods of paranoia and bliss with no thoughts at all. Night time spells. I have had spells where i wake up suddenly shake then dont know what I'm doing sometimes bite my toung. i have had panic attacks as well but not for quite awhile, During these I think i am dieing, that everyone is lieing to me,My mind races.

If it is a panic disorder and i'm already taking lexapro what else can I do?

I think you need to get a better diagnosis. Just doesn't sound like panic disorder to me. Have any docs actually prescribed an AED to see if it might help?

Enalapril? What's that?

Edit: lexapro alone won't help with a panic disorder, if that's what it is. Nobody has prescribed you a tranquilizer like clonazepam or xanax?

Nak may be right -- frontal lobe epilepsy could explain alll of your symptoms, but may not show on an EEG. I'm not a doctor, though.

I would suggest your research it as much as possible, and maybe talk to tam bam who has been diagnosed with FLE. She's helped my partner and I along just by sharing her experiences with us.

Nakamova i was put on keppra for almost a year and yes it did help. my spells were nightly for along time and slowed to only 9 times a month after starting keppra. I was also put on klonapin. I was taken off both of these because the spells i had during my veeg did not show anything. The spells i had was two night time spells that I discribed above and one spell where i couldn't see or move also had trouble talking.

Occb enalapril is for my high blood pressure. I did take xanax when i had the panic attacks it didn't help much. i had some xanax left over and I took one yesterday it did seem to calm me .

My partner takes xanax as well, but he says if he doesn't take it in time, or enough, it won't work. See if you can get a new prescription for xanax or clonazepam in the meantime to deal with these seizures, or episodes, or whatever they are. With your history of panic attacks, you should be able to get more from the docs. Lay it on thick, so they can't say no.

Research FLE and talked to your doctors armed with knowledge. Ask them if they've ever dealt with someone who has FLE. If you confront them with information and another possibility, maybe you can convince them to look into it further. Print up journal articles from reputable sources about FLE, and bring them in to them if you have to. Highlight the parts that match your symptoms. If you have someone who can come with you (and back up what you're saying), bring them. Doctors behave very differently when there's a witness in the room.

Failing that, is there another neuro you can visit, or maybe an epileptologist?

tam bam is awesome.

Last edited:
Getting somemore xanex is probably a good idea. Only problem is the docs seem to think I'm just tring to get meds. Although I've never asked for any just answers to wth is going on. my period ended just over a week ago and now I'm bleeding again so something is wrong there too

A doc once told my partner "These meds were created for a reason. Nobody should have to suffer from this." I wish more docs were like that :(

Horsehead,

I know we have spoken before and we have a lot of similarities. I too have similar attacks and they have now been discovered that they are seizures. Neuros and doctors dismissed the attacks in me as being depression or having a panic attack, being crazy or something of that nature but now I have a neuro who now believes me. He now says I have frontal lobe epilepsy and yes, FLE can cause this kind of behavior as Occb has said. I am living proof. I am not saying you have it or anything but when you stated you did not remember it and you threw up and the aggressive behavior, well it sounds very familiar to what I have went through with my seizures. Not all of my seizures are this way but I can get quite violent.

Question though, does the anti-anxiety pills actually work for these episodes? If not then maybe it is something else. I would stress this to your doctor if they don't work. FLE is quite tricky to diagnose. Are you seeing any kind of neuro at all? I know you just had an EEG but are you still seeing that neuro? Is he an epileptologist? If he is an epileptologist he should be able to disquish FLE based off of syptoms and not by EEG. FLE doesn't always come up on EEG. I just happen to luck out and it was discovered on EEG only after the neuro went back and reviewed it for a second time because he missed it the first time around. Maybe they need to go back and review yours for a second time as well. That's an idea! Let me know I am worried for you and I understand you.

Also, I like Occb idea of having someone with you when you go to the doctor. I didn't do this for years and I think this is why they dismissed me as being a loney. When my husband started going with is when the doctors started changing their tune and taking me seriously well in most cases. I can recall one time where it didn't help much but most of the time it does. I like Occb's idea if you are not doing this already.

tam bam

Last edited:
Horsehead,

Sounds to me like you need to be seen by an epileptologist. Here is some info from epilepsy.com:

Anxiety disorders
Anxiety, panic, and phobic symptoms can occur in people with epilepsy, especially those with limbic epilepsy. Limbic epilepsy is seizure foci arising in limbic brain areas; limbic areas are regions in the temporal and frontal lobes, which are involved with memory and emotion (1–4). Anxiety disorders may be more frequent in patients with left than in those with right TLE (2).

Treating anxiety

Supportive psychotherapy may help patients vent their feelings, dynamic (behavioral) therapy can identify provocative factors and help to target therapy, and cognitive behavioral therapies improve self-confidence and coping by reducing tension and avoidance. Meditation and biofeedback are also helpful.

Antianxiety medications that enhance serotonin activity (e.g., SSRIs) are usually effective and well tolerated. It is important to keep in mind that a dangerous cycle can develop when a benzodiazepine is used for the long-term treatment of anxiety or insomnia. Initially, the drug works well, but tolerance often develops and the dose needs to be increased. The cycle can repeat until a high dose is reached with cognitive and behavioral toxicity, but the role of the benzodiazepine may be overlooked because other factors also contribute.

Wait a second! Seriously, this might be related to my epilepsy? So sorry to jump in Horsehead. I have had these "fits" leave me feeling like I'm losing my mind. I never associated them with my E. My childhood was rough and sometime it just kinda comes back to haunt/overwhelm me. I really just thought it was something I needed to deal with and get ove as the expression goes. Food for though

They absolutely can be related to E. These kinds of symptoms could be ictal, post-ictal, or inter-ictal signs of epilepsy.

My partner still calls them panic attacks, because that's what his docs call them, but even the docs are confused by them: Panic attacks normally last minutes, not the hours, or days he experiences.

I here you there seizingbeauty. My mom and I talked the other night and I too think I have had FLE since childhood as well. I have these fits since then as well and my mom even said this. She has tried as well to get me the help then but with no such luck. The doctors dismissed it and tried to tell her that I was faking to get out of school.

tam bam

I here you there seizingbeauty. My mom and I talked the other night and I too think I have had FLE since childhood as well. I have these fits since then as well and my mom even said this. She has tried as well to get me the help then but with no such luck. The doctors dismissed it and tried to tell her that I was faking to get out of school.

tam bam

Same with my partner -- in fact, they labeled him a trouble-maker in grade school, and that followed him the whole way through. When he would ask adults if what he experienced was normal, they just assumed he was lying, or, later, on drugs and dismissed his concerns.

I wish I could have quoted you both Tam and OCCB!
OCCB "When he would ask adults if what he experienced was normal, they just assumed he was lying, or, later, on drugs and dismissed his concerns."
TAM "The doctors dismissed it and tried to tell her that I was faking to get out of school." Or they thought I was looking for attention.
My old GP had dismissed these as anxiety over my experiances and since I was unwilling to take meds for it they went with the just deal with it concept. I had other experiances with MD's (specifically physiatrists) that made me distrustful. I never brought them up to my Neuro cuz I didn't make the logical leap.
Once again, Thanks all, its nice to know I'm not just a freak of nature alone on this crazy planet!

My partner will be so pleased to hear he's not the only one.

In fact, maybe tonight's the night we start his own account so he can read and post for himself. Maybe then he'll understand better why I'm on here all the time :lol:

Back
Top Bottom