fighting off seizures

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Chris515

Veteran
Supporter
Reaction score
Hey All.. happy tuesday.

having a tough day with auras, not feeling like i'm goign to get much accomplished at work. they just keep building on eachother. constantly feeling like i could head into a full sp. hopefully not generalize after that.

i've been trying to concentrate on other tasks and it seems to keep me distracted at least for a while.

probably a silly question, what do you all think, is it possible to fight off seizures, maybe the small ones at least?

i remember starting to go into a tc at my friends place when i was feeding his cat. muscles started tightening, my hearing went.. i remember desperatekly not wanting it to happen (not that that's different than any other time) and it just like shut off. I couldn't speak for a few hours afterwords but at least the full on tc didn't happen. i doubt i fought off a tc but stranger things have happened.

anyways this is a long winded ramble.. thanks for listening

Yes, I've had very strong warnings and jumping (I know) exercise works well for me, I proberbly look a twat but I can keep some at bay.
If at work I say I feel like I'm going to sick and find a lower empty office.

Hey Chris, sorry your having a crap day. I hope it gets better soon :)

About your question; I have been able to stop a few SP’s from going all TC on me. I posted my experiences on a few other threads. In a nutshell, it’s like trying to keep my consciousness from getting sucked into a dark hole. I don’t know how, but if I use all my mental power fight it, I usually am successful.

Thanks for your replies :)

I'm gladto hear that others have found it possible to do. I like the idea of exercise, I might try that next time.

I've never fought off a TC - typially when I have them I'm ambushed... but I sorta know when they're gonna happen because my myoclonic jerks begin to cluster and I jerk every second, right after one another. So I know now, if I start 'jerking' really bad, I need to go lay down in a dark room and try to calm my mind down. I think I've prevented lots of TC's that way.

I asked a neurologist once if he thought upcoming TC could be prevented sometimes and he was adamant it could not be stopped.
There again I have met people who say they have done, and the movie star Danny Glover reckons he has not had a seizure for 30 years due to being able to prevent them happening by a form of self hypnosis. I reckon there is certainly something in this theory.

Chris....I too have had issues with auras (what I call buzzing) thru out the day and it seems like I too can fight them off. I seem to get them more when I sit down...relax and take a bit of time to myself. Even reading sometimes will cause them. One of the first things I do is get up and start walking around to get the blood pumping again, so the exercise thought is good. Walking hasnt always worked for me but more times than not it has. Ive also gotten up to walk when buzzing and found myself on the floor a few min later....and it still hurts like hell when I wake up on the floor with a knot on my head :)

Last edited:
Hi Chris,

I really hope that your day made a turn for the better. I honestly think there are times when I've fought off a seizure. There isn't really a good description for how, but it feels like I've pushed it away, pushed it until it was so far in the back of my mind that it had no place to go but away. Weird... I know... I tried to explain it to my new doctor, he didn't really get it, but he doesn't have Epilepsy... so he wouldn't would he? :ponder:

-Mary

I asked a neurologist once if he thought upcoming TC could be prevented sometimes and he was adamant it could not be stopped.

Oh doctors, the like to think they know everything. Maybe it helps justify their ballooned school debt. :)

but it feels like I've pushed it away, pushed it until it was so far in the back of my mind

I think thats a great discription. I feel like I'm trying to stay above it, pushing it down so it doesnt swallow me.

twice my Son came home this week Tue and Wed - after having to leave work early as could not hack it, super anxious and super strong auras.... pale as ghost (one big sign he is going have T/C and generally they are nocturnal)

once at home, I prepared warm (hot actually) foot bath and added magnesium chloride oil.......soaked in that and it relaxed him, he had great night’s sleep and then today, woke up fine (hallelujah) and did the full day on the job, came home, no anxiousness and no auras....and back to rosy colour in face..

magnesium chloride foot baths keep the T/C at bay………??

Food for thought

I have not tried this personally but I have read about this option, smoke some weed. I hope others will comment from personal experience.

I find if I try my best to lay down and close my eyes around the time I start seeing flashing lights or smelling things that aren't there or just generally am not feeling myself and just try to I guess meditate would be the word empty my mind and try not to think about the possible seizure or anything else it helps. It has stopped them or delayed them of course it's also done nothing on some occasions.

magnesium chloride foot baths keep the T/C at bay………??

I take magnesium malate supplements for extra magnesium.
I have heard magnesium is a good supplement (also fish oil, vitamin D3, B complex...)

Back
Top Bottom