How do you feel after a Nocturnal seizure (tonic clonic)

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

cool1984

New
Reaction score
hi all,
long time not spoken hope your well
my qustion is today
How do you feel after a Noctunal seizure (tonic clonic)
take care
caz x x

I wake up feeling I have been hit by a bus! Depending on the severity of it, some times about all I can manage is sitting on the couch! If it is not that bad, then just a bad headache, and sore legs with confusion that will last at least half of the day.

Extremely tired and my body incredibly sore. Usually after 3 days I would start feeling back to normal. Keep in mind...a tonic clonic is incredibly draining.

Mentally I usually feel perfect. Like I've been reset. So I actually feel alert and can think straight, but physically I feel like a wreck.

I feel like I've been run over by and dragged by a bus, my body feels like every muscle has been pulled and I ache so bad. I'm the monosyllabic kid for a few hours as well, as anything other than walking about like a battered zombie for a while is impossible. When I do evolve into a human capable of speech and thinking, I find I'm covered in new bruises. Luckily I've not had one in a few weeks so 'yea me'

After nocturnal seizures I am mentally reset. I am physically tired, stomach upset, tired the next day. Sometimes directly before/after siezure occurance I become very depressed, especially if seizure happened during dream. I wish I could just accept the vertigo when it happens-my brain tries to stop it. Diet directly affect seizure occurances for me. The addition of lyrica has heped me control seizures. Good Luck!

I feel like I've been run over by and dragged by a bus, my body feels like every muscle has been pulled and I ache so bad. I'm the monosyllabic kid for a few hours as well, as anything other than walking about like a battered zombie for a while is impossible. When I do evolve into a human capable of speech and thinking, I find I'm covered in new bruises. Luckily I've not had one in a few weeks so 'yea me'

Sounds like me, couldn't have said it better! Also I can't really talk afterwards, and when I can I'm not sure what I'm saying makes sense. Then when I can drag myself out of bed (they are usually nocturnal) I throw up for a half hour or so, and the rest of the day I'm laying on the couch.

Weird timing, had a seizure last night around 12:30. I remember being up at 1:17 and I destroyed a dividing wall between my pantry and my cabinets. I for the life of me can think of why I did it. Didn't realize at the time that I had had a seizure. My guy called me this morning and told me I had had a seizure. I knew something was wrong but thought I had pulled my back the day before. I'm at work today, mentally not 100%, body feels like I worked out at the gym for 2 hours without streching 1rst. Can't wait to go home!!!

New and searching for info on nocturnal seizures. Is that the same as 'tonic-clonic'? Early morning is the only time I have my seizures and I use to have 2-3 in my night. They are pretty well controlled by Tegretol now although I will have a breakthrough seizure once every month or so. They sometimes will wake me up and and I feel somewhat nauseous, but never actually get sick. The next morning my husband will tell me I've had a seizure but I almost always can tell by the headache and slight confusion. The worst is the feeling I have for the next 5-7 days. I feel as Chris515 explains, "I'm not sure if what I'm saying makes sense." I can still go out and walk the dogs and go for my run the morning after (to try to clear my head), but I feel like I'm not moving like my body is supposed to move. If I have to go to work, I feel self-conscious as if people know I'm acting strangely. And I don't have my usual appetite.

everyone thinks i should be back to normal the day after my grand mal seizure but it actually takes me about a week to get back to feeling normal again. i am tired and sore all over

Urg. I

HATE NOCTURNAL T/Cs. They are typically what I DO have, and they tear me up to no end. I'm in bed for 24 hours, and I am jello afterwards. I don't know who anyone is...except 2 people....and not even my own kids are among those 2.

I tend to rip every muscle, and usually break at LEAST one bone in the process, so I hurt...........And then there's the bitten tongue. I bite through it all the way on both sides, completely through.

It takes me about a week to be able to think clearly, and like a normal adult again....but even when I can, I still can't talk! So, communication sucks for about a month or so.

Sorry, didn't mean to scare you.....:paperbag::paperbag:

I only have nocturnal seizures, and I realy feel rubbish after them. I don't recognise anyone, am absolutely terrified of everyone, to the extent that I scream if they get too close to me. I generally pull muscles in my legs and shoulders, so am painful and stiff for a few days. I also feel very hazy and slow, kinda like my brain is in some kinda fog. I can't find words and generally feel quite depressed aferwards.

splitting headache when I lift my head off the pillow (headache also if I bend over), my brain is a bit off / slow, mouth/ tongue is sore (I have braces, so that's a lot of fun), body is achy (not as sore as if it were a daytime tc), lasts 3 or 4 days.

Nocturnal is the only kind I've had. Very sore. Nauseous. Confused and tired for a day or so.

I had a nocturnal tonic clonic, the only ones I have, early this morning and have been sleeping off and on all day. My calves and shoulders are particularly sore. I feel weak and dizzy as well and walking feels like I am slugging my way thru quick-sand. This is a very unique group which I never wanted to be part of. Can't wait for a massage.

It depends on when I wake up. If I wake up right after my ears are ringing, I'm foggy and with a massive headache and often neck ache. I also get severe cognitive effects for hours after.

If I was up in the morning it's normally just the cognitive effects and pain. I dont wake up the the intense overpowering loud feeling that I get after seizures if it happened in the middle of the night and I woke up the next morning.

Hi Caz,
I had 2 nocturnal grandmals on Friday morning. 1.30 am and 5.30 am. As most say hit by a bus - spot on. I always say I ran a marathon. I am aching, mouth is sore kr bitten raw. I only got a headace this morning a day later. I am extremely irritated too.

nocturnal tc's are my Achilles! all i generally remember is usually waking up n the floor or bed in serious pain in a panic- like my alarm didn't go off- i get up (stumble or crawl usually) and get dressed (if i wet myself or no. no time, get dressed) if i'm alone i'll get dressed and head to work. day or night, regardless if i'm working or not - i hobble, sometimes drooling blood and going the wrong way trying to clear my head. last TC before being dragged to hospital, i got up, dressed, called my boss to apologize for being late (it was a sunday night, i didn't work til am) left vm, got on transit and called my partner to tell him i fucked up and i'm late for work (he's a chef and was still working- i seized in my sleep after going to bed early) took a good hour to realize wtf was going on. man was i relieved to go home and make some bullshit up the next day for my boss to laugh up when i got work.

never fails- severe pain, bit through tongue, can barely walk, migraine.......and head out to work if i need to or not. usually throw up a few times during the commute. generally takes 2-3 days to get over the massive pain, aphasia and a bit of a lisp but it seems to be in built in me! lol no idea wtf is happening? you probably have to go to work. dunno where that is? try anyway. lol smfh

if i'm w my partner he gets me back to bed and makes me rest. same pain, same urgency and a bit of a fight- i gotta go apparently! lol

I am new to the E world but my experience is only with nocturnal tonic clonic. I don't thrash but I contract. Anyone else not a thrasher? If I haven't wet myself I only know in the am that I have had a seizure. Wake up dizziness, sore and slightly disoriented. I have zero energy and sleep the day away. I had one during an afternoon nap last week. Has anyone else experienced this? Thanks for the question, it allows me to get some info from others who have the same type of seizure as I do.

Back
Top Bottom