How many complex partials do you have?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

Just curious if I'm having a lot of complex partials. I average 8 per month. How many do you get?

I have simple partials, that use to come once a month, now they come like once every 2 months.

Are you on medications? Maybe the ones you are taking are not working? Talk to your Doc maybe there is a better medicine out there for you.

:piano: :pop:

On average I have about 7 complex partials a month. Sometimes more and sometimes less though. I do have a few simple complex thrown in there every so often.

If there is something stressful going on or I'm not getting enough sleep I'll tend to have a good bit more. When I had to put one of my cats down I had about 15 that month. The month when my grandma passed away I think I had over 20 complex partial seizures.

I've had epilepsy for about 12 years now. At first I was having around 20 complex partials and I'm not sure how many simple complex because I really didn't know what they were at the time.

I got a VNS in 2003 and after we got the settings worked out for that and figured out what meds to take was when my seizures were cut in over half a month.

I have simple partials, that use to come once a month, now they come like once every 2 months.

Are you on medications? Maybe the ones you are taking are not working? Talk to your Doc maybe there is a better medicine out there for you.

:piano: :pop:

I take 1500mg epilim with 50 mg lamotrigine in the morning and the same at night. I think I haven't been able to get them under control because of bad sleeping habits. For example late nights also eating at irregular intervals and a lot of junk food as well as not staying hydrated.

Hopefully changing these habits will allow the medication to work better and get better control.

Yes, I agree, those are not very good habits. Controlling them can be difficult, but if you have the determination to do it, in order to get better control of your seizures, then by all means do it.

Cheers,
Zolt

On average I have about 7 complex partials a month. Sometimes more and sometimes less though. I do have a few simple complex thrown in there every so often.

If there is something stressful going on or I'm not getting enough sleep I'll tend to have a good bit more. When I had to put one of my cats down I had about 15 that month. The month when my grandma passed away I think I had over 20 complex partial seizures.

I've had epilepsy for about 12 years now. At first I was having around 20 complex partials and I'm not sure how many simple complex because I really didn't know what they were at the time.

I got a VNS in 2003 and after we got the settings worked out for that and figured out what meds to take was when my seizures were cut in over half a month.

Thanks for the reply!

Does healthy eating play a role for you in getting your seizures under control?

Yes, I agree, those are not very good habits. Controlling them can be difficult, but if you have the determination to do it, in order to get better control of your seizures, then by all means do it.

Cheers,
Zolt

Did you ever get complex partials or tonic clonics? How many did you get and how often? What did you do to get them under control?

Thanks

I don't know if my diet really played a part in how many seizures I had I think it was due to the medicine or dosages I was on.

With one medicine I ate barely nothing and lost a ton of weight. On another I ate all the time and gained a ton of weight. I was eating healthy food and a good bit of junk food. I'd eat half a gallon of ice cream in two days - and I'm not exaggerating either. I was probably having around 10 seizures a month when I was on these diets.

I can't remember if the dosages of the meds I was taking were changed or if I was taken off a med completely, this was about 3 years ago. After this I went down to having about 7 a month so like I said I don't know if it was due to the meds or my diet.

In general my diet is eat when I'm hungry. I don't eat junk food it's usually an actual meal. Potato chips may be a side dish if I'm having a sandwich.

Now remember this is just me so it may not relate to you or other people.

Epilepsy21,

I was one of the lucky ones who only had 1 complex partial about every 3-weeks. I did try using the MAD (modified Atkins Diet, or Ketogenic diet) and it seemed to help. Google it, and give it a try...

Best of luck to you

When I was still having them it was anywhere from 4-10 CPS a month. Some AEDs helped more than others. That's only by not letting them progress into a full tonic clonic. But the side effects alone made things worse. Some AEDs cause weight gain, weight loss, diarrhea, constipation, or worse. Having bad side effects can stress you out. Which in itself can bring on more seizures. Which was a problem in my case. If your AED manufacturer is changed, that can also cause problems. We all want our conditions to get better, not worse.

Does healthy eating play a role for you in getting your seizures under control?

If one has low blood sugar, it can bring on a seizure if it isn't kept in tack. I also have Type 1 Diabetes and E, so I do have to keep my blood sugar under close observation. If it gets too low, I can go into a CP seizure. So healthy eating is important for getting seizures under control.

Hey everyone!

Just curious if I'm having a lot of complex partials. I average 8 per month. How many do you get?

I only have simple partials but I have more than I realized since I started tracking them closely. I would usually only note the status simple partials. Today I have already had 2 simple partials.

What is you sign that one is starting and one is stopping? How do you count?

I am fascinated that people can count them. I don't even know I am having them, unless I hallucinate. Even then I can't tell you when the hallucinations started and when they stopped or how many times it happened.

My complex partials are back under control now--but when I had them when I was young, I would go through periods where I would have them every day, sometimes twice a day, for a week or two, and then they would disappear for a few months. Sometimes years. Then I'd get clusters of them again (almost always in clusters). I wasn't medicated at the time and never told anyone I had these experiences when I was kid though. On meds, before I had a car accident, Complexes were totally controlled; took a while to get them controlled after the accident but I don't have those anymore, mostly just nocturnal myos.

Hey! I have complex partial seizures too. I was diagnosed in 2012 and went on a ridiculous rollercoster where I somehow would have 4-5 a week. Crazy, as I rarely have them now. Anyways I have a Vlog and have chatted this week about my journey with complex partial seizures...

Hope it might help or be interesting. Love to know your thoughts :)

Xx

I have had no seizures for 7 1/2 months now due to some changes in med dosing that I made, but prior to that time I had probably at least 300 a year since 1982.

I have had no seizures for 7 1/2 months now due to some changes in med dosing that I made, but prior to that time I had probably at least 300 a year since 1982.

Hey Arnie, how long did it take before your seizures were controlled after you changed your med. schedule? I switched to 3 times per day and am still having one or 2 SPs a day frequently.

I am afraid if I switch to 4 times per day I will forget to many doses.

Hey! I have complex partial seizures too. I was diagnosed in 2012 and went on a ridiculous rollercoster where I somehow would have 4-5 a week. Crazy, as I rarely have them now. Anyways I have a Vlog and have chatted this week about my journey with complex partial seizures...

Hope it might help or be interesting. Love to know your thoughts :)

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UjA89XCkpGM

Xx

Thanks, I listened to this lying next to my husband hoping he would hear some of it and get a better understanding of partials and complex partials. I will tell him when I am having a partial but since he can't see them, he doesn't understand how bad they can make me feel.

It is so hard trying to describe it as it all becomes a blur. I was really frightened from mine, nothing else ever gives me the feeling that does. I would just grab my fiances hand tightly or somehow he could tell by my face or lack of response. You're not alone I have been there. Luckily me moving from evil keppra to lamotrogine I have managed to control them, I have had to really look after myself health wise, so lots exercise, cutting back on caffeine and not drinking lots. I have some dips still especially when I'm run down or stressed. However I'm not as frightened anymore because I know I am stronger as a person and just don't care if to a stranger I look daft!

I am however in the issue of driving or not driving. I don't have full blown nasty partial seizures like I used to, but every so often I get a weird feel a bit like an aura but not quite the same... So I don't know if I should reapply for my driving license or not. Really tough to figure out what's going on in that brain!! šŸ˜ƒ

If you need anything honestly happy to chat to anyone about it x

It is so hard trying to describe it as it all becomes a blur. I was really frightened from mine, nothing else ever gives me the feeling that does. I would just grab my fiances hand tightly or somehow he could tell by my face or lack of response. You're not alone I have been there. Luckily me moving from evil keppra to lamotrogine I have managed to control them, I have had to really look after myself health wise, so lots exercise, cutting back on caffeine and not drinking lots. I have some dips still especially when I'm run down or stressed. However I'm not as frightened anymore because I know I am stronger as a person and just don't care if to a stranger I look daft!

I am however in the issue of driving or not driving. I don't have full blown nasty partial seizures like I used to, but every so often I get a weird feel a bit like an aura but not quite the same... So I don't know if I should reapply for my driving license or not. Really tough to figure out what's going on in that brain!! šŸ˜ƒ

If you need anything honestly happy to chat to anyone about it x

I can't say my PSs are frightening but they are pretty emotional, especially if I have to talk about them while they are occurring. Sometimes emotional even if I am by myself and don't need to explain what is going on. I wouldn't need to tell anyone but sometimes I have to leave work if they are really strong or come in waves. Also if I am in the middle of one and call the doctors office I will usually cry.

Back
Top Bottom