How many complex partials do you have?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Hey Arnie, how long did it take before your seizures were controlled after you changed your med. schedule? I switched to 3 times per day and am still having one or 2 SPs a day frequently.

I am afraid if I switch to 4 times per day I will forget to many doses.

I had 4 seizures on June 1 of 2014 and 4 on June 2nd. Those were the last ones I had. On June 2nd I started taking 500 per day, upped that to 550 on June 5, went to 600 in four divided doses on June 12, and to 650 in 4 doses on June 19. There have been a handful of days since then when I have felt like there might be a seizure wanting to happen and I have taken an extra 1/2 pill.

What is your dose and what are your blood levels?

The four time a day thing is not hard. Fist thing in the AM and last thing at night are easy, and I have an alarm on my phone for the noon and 6 PM ones. I also carry a little box with some pills in case I am away from home.

I'm so glad not to be having seizures that is makes it easier to take the meds on time. I'm 100% convinced that moving from twice to four times a day is what did it for me.

Carry on!

I had 4 seizures on June 1 of 2014 and 4 on June 2nd. Those were the last ones I had. On June 2nd I started taking 500 per day, upped that to 550 on June 5, went to 600 in four divided doses on June 12, and to 650 in 4 doses on June 19. There have been a handful of days since then when I have felt like there might be a seizure wanting to happen and I have taken an extra 1/2 pill.

What is your dose and what are your blood levels?

The four time a day thing is not hard. Fist thing in the AM and last thing at night are easy, and I have an alarm on my phone for the noon and 6 PM ones. I also carry a little box with some pills in case I am away from home.

I'm so glad not to be having seizures that is makes it easier to take the meds on time. I'm 100% convinced that moving from twice to four times a day is what did it for me.

Carry on!

Right now I'm on 400mg total. I take 100mg, 100mg in afternoon and 200mg at night. I am going to ask to have my levels checked when I go back in March. I still have lots of room to increase the dosage and I want to just stay on lamictial because so far the side effects haven't been too bad.

When I was on 400 my levels were at the very low end of the therapeutic range, and obviously it was not enough to give me good control. It was 4 something, I think. Now the level is about 8 so there is still a lot of room to go, although I don't think I will need it. I'm taking 150 at 6 am noon and 6 pm, and 200 at bedtime.
My guess is that you might be at the lower end of the spectrum, too, which may be why your seizures aren't controlled. Your doc might balk at the 4 times a day because it's "not in the literature", but I have it on good authority from my pharmacist and my epileptologist that there is nothing wrong with taking it like that. Good luck with it!

Back
Top Bottom