Keppra and Pregnancy

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Hey to all you wonderful people! i am looking for some advice/personal experiences to do with being on keppra and getting pregnant as myself and my partner are starting to think about having a second baby (definately wont be until next year atleast) i want to gather as much information as possible both facts and personal experience, it if helps im on 1000mg of keppra a day, any input would be greatly appreciated and i will also be speaking to my consultant when i next see him. Btw i want to know everything haha like what your pregnancy was like etc as when i had my daughter i was undiagnosed an obviously not on medication, how many scans, bood test just anything you can tell me lol!
love
lucy x

Well, I can give you my experience with my pregnancies, since I was on Keppra and Carbatrol through out all my pregnancies. I had three very healthy little boys! My neurologist didnt take me off my seizure medications through out any of my pregnancies. I had my first son when I was 23 yrs old, my second son at the age of 24, and our third son was born when I was 25 years old. I was on 3000mgs of Keppra, and 1200 mgs of Carbatrol. Had no problems with anything through out any of my pregnancies. My first son was born on his due date, our second was born a month early, but with getting pregnant so quickly after my first son.... (our two boys are 10.5 months apart in age) the cause of him coming early was because my uterus wasnt healed prior to healing from my first birth. He had no health problems, came out breathing fine and perfect! Our third son was born a week before his due date. He came out being the big boy at over 9lbs! I didnt think I would having a big baby, but out of all three, he was the biggest! :) Otherwise, things went fine for me while taking Keppra during my pregnancies. Just make sure you start to take folic acid prior to getting pregnant and also into your first trimester. Those are the important times to take that!

aww thank you for sharing your story,its good to hear that things can go well instead of 'horror' stories all the time! Thanks again xxx

Back
Top Bottom