Keppra while pregnant

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Sherrhay

New
Reaction score
I am brand new here and enjoy the support. I have one son who is two and I started having seizures right before I got pregnant with him (complex partial and grand mal). I did not take any meds until after I finished nursing and got on Topamax up until now. I switched to Tegretol over a month ago because my doctor thought it would be better if I got pregnant again on that med. I had an allergic reaction to it that was awful (rash). I started taking Topamax again and am starting to react the same way with a rash. I wonder what I will be able to take now! I go to my neurologist this week thank goodness! I thought I would see if anyone tried Keppra while pregnant since it looks the safest. We are trying again now for number two. I don't know what I will do medwise.

Ive been on Keppra and Carbatrol during all three of my pregnancies, and all my little ones came out fine! :)

I took Tegretol through my last pregnancy and that worked out just fine. I even nursed on it. Could it be pure coincidence that you have developed this rash? It might not be the meds. Pregnancy does funny things to people!! :)

I wish I could take Tegretol. I am pretty sure it is the meds I am allergic to. I had to go to the hospital it got so bad. The minute I stopped taking my meds, it stopped spreading. I am upset that now I a can't even take Topamax. I have never been allergic to anything in my life! I know there is very little risk, I am just in a panic mode. I am not pregnant yet, but we are trying and could be any day.

Hmm. That's interesting about the Tegretol because Tegretol is the first med I started on 11 years ago (I'm still on it but with 2 additional meds), and one of the things my doctor told me from the beginning was not to get pregnant while on Tegretol because it would be dangerous to a developing fetus... maybe more research has been done since then that he hasn't come across? Because he pretty much tells me that every time I have an appointment- "Don't get pregnant because these meds aren't good for the unborn baby". I'm on Keppra and Lamictal and I have heard good things about Keppra and pregnancy. I think there hasn't been enough research done yet with Lamictal to know for sure. But he definitely started telling me that when I was still only on the Tegretol.

Back
Top Bottom