Need your input RE: Dr prescribing a medication

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

momof3boys

Account Closed
Inactive
Reaction score
To make a long story short, I was told yesterday after being taken to the hospital by ambulance that I had peumonia. I tested positive for mono in December, and after a couple weeks, I thought I was getting better, but then got worse. I woke up in severe pain yesterday afternoon to what I thought, I was dieing. My husband called 911 and they rushed me to the hospital. We were there about five hours, they did two x-rays and drew some blood. Before leaving, the ER dr gave me a medication that can cause me to have seizures! Not knowing this, I signed the discharge paper, took the prescription and got it filled. I took one pill last night before going to bed. This morning, I wake up and out of the blue, I see a commercial on tv about the same medication, saying "ALERT" on the screen. They were telling about all the bad side effects that had been reported with it. I thought the name looked the same, but to be sure, I had my husband get the bottle for me. Sure enough, it was the same thing! I googled it and found this on the site:

Levaquin
Generic Name: levofloxacin (oral) (leev oh FLOX a sin)
Brand Names: Levaquin, Levaquin Leva-Pak

Important information about Levaquin
You should not use Levaquin if you are allergic to levofloxacin or similar antibiotics such as ciprofloxacin (Cipro), moxifloxacin (Avelox), ofloxacin (Floxin), norfloxacin (Noroxin), lomefloxacin (Maxaquin), and others.

Before taking Levaquin, tell your doctor if you have kidney or liver disease, myasthenia gravis, joint problems, seizures or epilepsy, diabetes, low levels of potassium in your blood (hypokalemia), or a personal or family history of "Long QT syndrome

So, my we called our pharmacist to check it was still ok to take. They said with the amount of medications i hate.... Carbotrol ER 1200 mgs a day, Keppra XR 3000mgs a day, and having complex partial seizures, that the medication would decrease my thrust level of my seizure medications and I would be at a high risk of having seizures. They recommended we call our family dr and see if there is another medication to take. So we call our dr, and they tell us the same thing. They re order me a medication called, Azithromycin. I checked on that of course and that says nothing about having to ask your dr before taking it if you have seizures.

What I dont get is that even after the dr saw the pill bottles on the counter by my bed while I was in the ER and looking at what kind of medications I am on, he prescribes me a medication that says right on the side effects paper, if anyone who has seizures or epilepsy, tell your dr prior to taking this medication, could cause seizures to occur. He was even going over the dosages I was taking, and within seconds said I needed a strong medication and thats what he prescribed me.

To top it off, we called the ER Dept, and told them about this, and they had the Complaint Dept call us back. the lady there said she checked on the medication with two supervisors and two chief of medications and all four said they would have prescribed the same medication to me! Can you believe it? I was in total disbelief! Who in their right minds would prescribe a medication to someone who has epilepsy and takes that large amount of medication each day, knowing that it will make my levels go down while Im on it?

The lady at the complaint center said she would like for us to send in the reciept from walgreens, where we got the medication, along with my discharge papers, and she will reimburse us the $25 we paid for the medication. Im just glad to be getting back our money. I took one pill so far, and Im glad I havnt taken any more! Just makes me wonder from now on if the drs really know what they are giving out to their patients.

What do you think? Would you see this as alittle error and call it good, or would you upset about this? Some people are telling me that Im making a big deal about something small. For me, I HATE and at times, Im scared to have a seizure. Me thinking of taking that medication and having a chance of having a seizure, makes me angry. On top of that, Im a stay at home mom of three little boys. The last thing I need to happen is to have a seizure while at home with them and have something bad happen.

Oy! I can't believe all the folks in the ER said they would have prescribed the med to you. Did you speak to any of them directly (after you called the complaint dept.) to see why they would prescribe a med regardless of the contraindications for someone with epilepsy? At the very least you'd think they would have been worried about liability (which as you know is way more important than the patient's health).

Thank god you...
A. Paid attention to the TV commercial for a med (I always zone out during those!)
B. Checked with your pharmacist
C. Got a new Rx from your regular doc

My husband was the one who had called the ER. After telling the nurse who he spoke to, when we were in there and what was said, what medication was given to me and then looking it up to find out it probably wasnt the best to give to me due to me having epilepsy, all she could say was that she couldnt do much about the issue and said she would forward our information to the complaint center. Within 20 minutes, we recieved a call from the complaint center. After telling the lady the same details, she said she asked all four drs before calling and they all would have done the same thing too.

Thats when my husband said we called our pharmacist and our dr and both of them told us they wouldnt have prescribed that with my seizure disorder.

I think the lady was alittle taken back. We told her we got the medication after leaving the ER last night, had already taken one pill, but dont feel comfortable taking no more due to this new information we found out. Since my family dr already ordered me a new medication, she said that was fine, to just send in the information and they would reimburse us.

Its nice that they are going to refund our money, but the thought me that commercial not coming on when I saw it, I never would have realized to look up any information about that medication. I would have thought that the dr would be giving me something I can use safely and not cause any problems for me. Especially when he himself, read the labels off my bottles and said what medication he was going to give me.

Just makes me kind of nervous and scared to trust what a dr will give you, as far as medication goes.

I'm sorry that happened to you. Good job catching the mistake. I had been in the habit of always asking any doctor who was giving me anything, "Is this ok to take with ____ (whatever I was on at the time)." And I always believed the doctor. Hmmm, now I think I'll always check on my own if I can. I hope you are feeling better.

Yikes! Some doctors can be idiots. I went to see a GP (not my usual) once for a virus or something and was prescribed medication. I asked if it was okay to take with the medication I was on so he took out his book and looked it up and then said to me 'oh yeah... it should be okay.' Yeah, should be okay wasn't good enough for me so I just didn't take it until I could speak to my regular doctor about it. I'm glad that the ad was on and that you noticed and paid attention to it.

frightening

What a frightening experience! So glad you found out before it caused a seizure. You have a right to feel upset. I would photo copy the receipt and discharge papers before handing them in. Just to keep a record. Having 3 little boys myself it would be hard if i had my grand mal seizures.
I will have to remember to ask my Dr before taking any medications.

Oh yeah, I will be taking all the discharge papers, along with the walgreens reciept, and getting those photo copied to save for our records. They would like the orginal reciept from walgreens, which is fine with me. As long as I have a copy for myself!

Im now coughing up more blood, mixed in with the mucus thats filled my lungs... and my chest pain has spread to all over, so we talked to my dr today and they are looking at prescribing me an inhaler. I just need some relief from this pain. Ive been sleeping and drinking lots of liquids. I finally got some chicken noodle soup in me last night, which felt ok, but then it made my stomach kind of turn a bit.

I used to work in a hospital. They wouldn't admit fault to you, especially before they had investigated it themselves. That would be laying themselves open to a lawsuit. But because a patient complained to the quality department there will be an internal investigation to see what happened and how they can improve care.

Some doctors are nimrods. Some are incompetent. Some just make honest mistakes because they are human, or because they are not educated in an area in which they are asked to make decisions. Ideally those docs (all of them) would admit to themselves that they don't know enough about epilepsy, and they'd call a neurologist just to quickly check out the med. But most of them don't.

I'm glad you caught the problem. Did you actually experience more seizures because of the mistake?

How are your lungs this morning? Are you okay? <<<<<hugs>>>>>

You have every right

to be angry! The only thing that i can think of is that the pneumonia is so bad that they may have figured that was thier best choice. Keep a close eye on that, it can progress to the point of being hospitalized.

Any med that says anything about szs, i call my neuro and ask if its ok to take. Good for you taking control of your care! But i don't think for one ioda of a second that you don't have a reason to be angry. You have EVERY reason to be angry. I tend to think that things happen for a reason, and by some miracle you saw that commericial. I hope that you get to feeling better and soon! :)

I used to work in a hospital. They wouldn't admit fault to you, especially before they had investigated it themselves. That would be laying themselves open to a lawsuit. But because a patient complained to the quality department there will be an internal investigation to see what happened and how they can improve care.

Some doctors are nimrods. Some are incompetent. Some just make honest mistakes because they are human, or because they are not educated in an area in which they are asked to make decisions. Ideally those docs (all of them) would admit to themselves that they don't know enough about epilepsy, and they'd call a neurologist just to quickly check out the med. But most of them don't.

I'm glad you caught the problem. Did you actually experience more seizures because of the mistake?

How are your lungs this morning? Are you okay? <<<<<hugs>>>>>

I would think that if this dr didnt know what to give, or know alot about Epilepsy, he could have asked a neurologist, but apparently he didnt cause he came in the room after the blood tests were done, gave me two thumbs up, said it wasnt a blood clot, and sat down to look at my medication bottles and read them to me. (I kind of thought it was funny, like he was telling me stuff I didnt already know) Then he looked at the antibiotic that on monday, the day prior to that, when I went in to see my family dr. they had given me a antibiotic because I had pressure in my ears. I had taken two pills since then. the ER dr said those wont do me any good. I needed something "strong". Then he said I will write up a prescription for you, and he walked out. Within three minutes, the nurse was in with my discharge papers. I signed them, she handed me the prescription and I asked if it was a medication that wasnt going to interferr with my seizure meds? she looked at the prescription and said yes, it wouldnt interferr. So, I gave it to my husband and we walked out, and on the way home got the medication filled. I took one that night before going to bed.

Last night my lungs seemed worse. Tuesday when I was in the ER it was becasuse my right side hurt. Now its all over. Its inbetween my breast area, and on the sides of each, and below. When I cough, I have to hold my chest because it hurts to bad. I yawned yesterday and I thought I was going to die because of the pain. I wont be doing that again!

Then last night I saw when I lightly coughed at times, I would cough up some of the mucus that is trapped in my lungs, but with it came blood. That happened at the ER too, and I showed the nurse, she said she would tell the dr. Since then, theres been more blood mixed in with the mucus.

So, this morning we called our family dr, and had a nurse call us back. She called and we told her about the spreading of my chest pain, along with the coughing up the blood and mucus and she said its normal for the chest pain, but she asked if I would like to get an inhaler. It may help with being able to cough more, and get more of that junk out of thee without it hurting.

So, she is going to ask the dr what kind of inhaler he would like for me to be on and order one for me.

I really hope its not an expensive one. She said she would more than likely get a generic one for me.

But for now, thats where things stand. Ive been in bed all day today. My head is hurting, and at times I keep getting really sleepy. Ive been in bed since sunday with this. Only time Ive left is to see the dr on monday and to the ER on tuesday. I cant believe how bad this can affect someone!

to be angry! The only thing that i can think of is that the pneumonia is so bad that they may have figured that was thier best choice. Keep a close eye on that, it can progress to the point of being hospitalized.

Any med that says anything about szs, i call my neuro and ask if its ok to take. Good for you taking control of your care! But i don't think for one ioda of a second that you don't have a reason to be angry. You have EVERY reason to be angry. I tend to think that things happen for a reason, and by some miracle you saw that commericial. I hope that you get to feeling better and soon! :)

thank! I just see it the same way! I belong to another board on the internet and doesnt see it the same way. They keep telling me that they have ran into experiences with their kids being sick and the medication that they recieved didnt work well, but they didnt complain, they just called their dr and was given another one.

But of course, these gals dont have kids who have seizures too. Ive lived my whole life with epilepsy and being a mom with little ones, the last thing I want to do is be here alone with them and have a seizure! It just upsets me that when you have the medication bottles right there for them to see, they still dont do enough research to see if that medication they are prescribing is ok for the patient.

From the way my pharmacist and my dr talked, they both said they would NOT ever give anyone with my seizures that and the dosage I take daily. the pharmacist said she even has a little girl herself who has seizures and there is no way she would give her daughter that medication. she was shocked to hear that an ER dr would do that.

I am definitely not a doctor, or even a nurse. But I'll tell you what I think as a patient, and if it were me what I'd do.

Coughing up blood is an escallation of your pnumonia, not getting better due to the antibiotics. Did they say if it was bacterial or viral pnumonia, and if bacterial, what little critter is responsible? It usually takes days if not weeks to culture a sample.

You may have viral pnumonia, in which case antibiotics will not help. If that is the case ASK LOTS OF QUESTIONS with these docs. It's very helpful if you know the possible answers in advance. (Have your husband do some internet research) Tell them you are getting worse, not better, and ask they why they think it is bacterial and not viral. If it's viral they may want to hospitalize you.

There are a ton of other things it could be, too. Ask why they think it is pnumonia and not something else. (Have you done any world traveling lately?)

Are you having trouble breathing? Did anybody offer you inahlation therapy? (a machine with a mist you inhale for about 10 minutes?)

I've had bacterial pnumonia 3 times. I didn't cough up blood, but my lungs hurt like the devil and I couldn't even walk 10 feet because I couldn't breathe. Ugh.

My sympathy is so with you. Hang in there.

I am definitely not a doctor, or even a nurse. But I'll tell you what I think as a patient, and if it were me what I'd do.

Coughing up blood is an escallation of your pnumonia, not getting better due to the antibiotics. Did they say if it was bacterial or viral pnumonia, and if bacterial, what little critter is responsible? It usually takes days if not weeks to culture a sample.

They didnt tell me if it was bacterial or viral pnumonia. All they told be after doing two x-rays and taking some blood was that it was not a blood clot, but that I had pnumonia. Then the dr said he would be prescribing me something strong to help take it away. At that time, i was so tired, I was going in and out of it, My husband was the one who mostly talking with the dr. I remember him coming and telling me it wasnt a blood clot, and that took a ton of bricks off my shoulders. I remember him looking at the medication bottles on the counter, asking me if I took any other medications, and I told him no, he said ok, he would be back with my papers. Next thing I knew, a nurse was there with my discharge papers.

You may have viral pnumonia, in which case antibiotics will not help. If that is the case ASK LOTS OF QUESTIONS with these docs. It's very helpful if you know the possible answers in advance. (Have your husband do some internet research) Tell them you are getting worse, not better, and ask they why they think it is bacterial and not viral. If it's viral they may want to hospitalize you.

We told our family dr that the pain in my chest has spread from my right side to my right, middle and left sides of my chest now. last night I had to hold my chest while I gently coughed. I dont feel anything stuck in my throat all the time, just a few times here and there, when I am out of bed walking around. Thats when I cough and something comes up. Today I had more blood with the mucus this afternoon. Wasnt alot of blood, a half and half Id say. I wasnt told if it was bacterial or viral. The PA I saw on monday at our family dr's office office said because I had mono in December, I probably picked up a virus since my immune system was so low, and from the looks of it, it def affected my ears. Thats why he had given me the antibiotics on monday. Nothing was even brought up about it possibly being pnumonia.

There are a ton of other things it could be, too. Ask why they think it is pnumonia and not something else. (Have you done any world traveling lately?)

I havnt been out of this town for months now. The last place I got to go was in June 2010 when we went to coco keys which is about 40 miles away! LOL no, I havnt done any world traveling in my lifetime.

Are you having trouble breathing? Did anybody offer you inahlation therapy? (a machine with a mist you inhale for about 10 minutes?)

The only time I have trouble breathing is when I try to cough, or bend down to pick things up, (which I know I shouldnt be doing, but the past two days my husband has been lazy, and I have tried to help around the house alittle bit... I know, not the right thing to do) No one offered me inahlation therapy.

I've had bacterial pnumonia 3 times. I didn't cough up blood, but my lungs hurt like the devil and I couldn't even walk 10 feet because I couldn't breathe. Ugh.

I am going to have to do some research on what the difference is between the two. All my symptoms started sunday. I got very tired, but decided to shower and see if that would help. which it didnt. I went to bed at 8pm that night, woke up at midnight with a fever, shaking, and the chills. It was so bad I didnt want to get out of bed to use the restroom because I was so cold. Then came the muscle aches all through out my body. I felt achy and weak on monday, everything else continued. My fever got up to almost 103. When I went to see the PA at our family dr, my fever was in the low 99's. I had taken 4 ibuphrophens a couple of hours before going, so that kicked in. But after returning home, a couple hours after, i started sweating and feeling cold again, and the fever returned. By tuesday morning, I was so tired and weak, the fever had gone away, and my chest had begun to hurt that afternoon. Thats when the worst pain in my life came and the ambulance came to get me. Since then, Ive been trying to cough (not too hard) and been getting a mixture of the mucus and blood up. my check now hurts, so I hold it with my hands. I can get up and move around, but not for long because my body starts to feel tired again and I can instantly close my eyes and sleep. My lymph nodes are still swollen, and i have pressure in my ears still... not as bad as they were when i went in to get them checked, but its still there.

My sympathy is so with you. Hang in there.

Wow you sound so very sick!! Coughing up blood is never a ok sign. If it is throffy it is very bad. Please seek more medical attention. Dont be nervous by this Dr prescribing you a medication. Hositals have a pharmacist as part of the hospital. You can ask the Dr to check with the pharmacist before describing and you can check with the pharmacist before receiving the medication. For your reassuance. I have found them to be most useful this way.

Ok, I was doing alittle research, and from what I found, and the kind of medication I was given, I have bacterial pneumonia. Here is what I found....

The medication that my family dr reordered for me is in the color BLUE. The one I am now taking.

The medication below that the ER dr prescribed me, is in the color RED. That is the one that says not to take if you have seizures or epilepsy.

Are Antibiotics Needed for Bacterial Pneumonia?

Bacterial pneumonia is treated with antibiotics (see Antibiotics and Pneumonia). When these medications are prescribed, they should be taken exactly as prescribed and for the entire period, even when you start to feel better. If you stop taking them too soon, the pneumonia may come back.

Sometimes, a person is sick enough that he or she needs to stay in the hospital while receiving antibiotics. They often require more potent antibiotics, which are given through an IV. These drugs include:

•Ceftriaxone (Rocephin®)
•Cefotaxime (Claforan®)
•Ampicillin/sulbactam (Unasyn®)
•Ertapenem (Invanz®)
•Vancomycin (Vancocin®)
•Linezolid (Zyvox®).

Other times, a person with bacterial pneumonia can be treated at home. Antibiotics that are often prescribed in this case include one or more of the following:

•Azithromycin (Zithromax®)
•Clarithromycin (Biaxin®)
•Amoxicillin (Amoxil®)
•Amoxicillin and clavulanate potassium (Augmentin®)
•Doxycycline
•Levofloxacin (Levaquin®)
•Moxifloxacin (Avelox®)
•Gemifloxacin (Factive®)

Your doctor must first decide whether you need to be in the hospital. If you are treated in the hospital, you will receive fluids and antibiotics in your veins, oxygen therapy, and possibly breathing treatments. It is very important that your antibiotics are started very soon after you are admitted.

You are more likely to be admitted to the hospital if you:

Have another serious medical problem
Have severe symptoms
Are unable to care for yourself at home, or are unable to eat or drink
Are older than 65 or a young child
Have been taking antibiotics at home and are not getting better
However, many people can be treated at home. If bacteria are causing the pneumonia, the doctor will try to cure the infection with antibiotics. It may be hard for your health care provider to know whether you have a viral or bacterial pneumonia, so you may receive antibiotics.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000145.htm

The only thing on that list that relates to me is I have been taking other antibitotics, but they were not for pnuemonia, it was for ear infections, and such. My husband did pick me up the inhaler that the dr prescribed for me.
Its called Ventolin HFA, 200 metered inhalations.

They want me to take 2-3 puffs every 4 hours as needed
I tried it at 4pm, about half an hour ago, and the first puff I screwed up on! LOL But the second and third I did it right.

I will wait til 8pm tonight to do it again. Right now my chest is aching. I was up walking around, trying to get myself back into the normal routine around here, and just walking made my chest hurt really bad. If I sit or sit up in bed, it feels alot better, probably cause Im not moving around alot.

anyways, I need to have my husband go make copies of the discharge papers, and the reciept for the medication the ER dr gave us. Once they get the papers, and reciept, they will refund us the $25 we paid for it.

If you don't start to feel better soon or you feel worse within a day or two, go back in. Either the antibiotic isn't working or you have viral pnumonia. It's impossible for your doc to tell the difference at this point. The cultures couldn't have possibly come back yet, if he took them at all.

If you don't start to feel better soon or you feel worse within a day or two, go back in. Either the antibiotic isn't working or you have viral pnumonia. It's impossible for your doc to tell the difference at this point. The cultures couldn't have possibly come back yet, if he took them at all.

he took two x-rays and some blood work was done. If he did cultures, would it come from the blood work then? Knowing him, If I had to guess, He probably looked at the blood results to see if it could have been a blood clot, and if nothing like that showed, then he summed it up to be pnumonia. But thats just from the way I see it. He could have done cultures.... but i dont know if he did or not.

I have to make a follow up appointment with my family dr. The discharge papers said to follow up three days after I was in the ER, which was Tuesday, so if you were me, would you call tomorrow and want to be seen tomorrow... friday, since that would be three days after i was in the ER, or would you wait to see how things go over the weekend and schedule for monday? Knowing my luck, I can see me going in tomorrow, and then things "get worse" over the weekend and I have to go back in again. I hate paying copays! My co pay is $20 each office visit. Two of our three kids have Kids Connection through the state of Nebraska, so we dont have to pay their copay, but our Oldest son, since he turned 6 in 2010, they go based off of age of the kids and the income of the family, he was over their limit, so he is no longer covered under that. which sucks!

I am hoping i pressed the write button to send this message. Still getting use to forum.
A visit to your Dr friday sounds good. He can listen to your chest. This will help determine if the ventolin is working or you need extra help. It is always better to get checked sooner before a rush weekend visit.
a sputum sample is the usual route for testing what bug.
The bloods can show your body fighting infection with higher white cell counts, dehydration and other electrolyte problems. Blood cultures would show blood infection.
The chest xray would show a whitened area in your lungs showing a density that shows pn. If you had another xray it could show the whitening as getting better or worse. All the best with your endevours. Must be agony.

Back
Top Bottom