Seizure v Fit

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
[="DarkOrchid"][/COLOR]
Do you feel offended if people say the word "fit" instead of saying "seizure" ?
When Colin gets the aura that he is having a seizure, he always shouts "Anja, quick, I'm having a fit !" I have been told often, not to say fit. Whereas when Colin and I talk we say fit, and so does his consultant. She sometimes refers to them as convulsions, but mostly just called them fits too.
What do you "lot" prefer ? :ponder:

'fit' seems to be a British colloquialism. I prefer seizure myself and furthermore, I prefer some specificity when possible (ie. What type of seizure?).

I like seizure. Some people out here use "episode." But I feel like saying seizure is just the reality of it. I feel like I'm in denial if I say anything else.

Unfortunately Garrett likes to say "episode." He still gets uncomfortable about the whole seizure idea.

I personally put more emphasis on the intent than the actual word. I've heard people use the word "fit" with no intent to insult but then I've heard people use it with a very condescending tone. Same goes for the word "seizure".

I'm with Eric and Bernard on this one.

I also prefer the word seizure over fit. I have always known the word fit to be associated with a temper tantrum. not a seizure.

I hate when people use the word episode, spell, etc because it makes me feel like they are too scared to think about seizures and have already sterotyped me. OR they dont call them seizures because they dont believe you have seizures and whatever is happen MUST be something else. So why call them seizures if you dont think they are? MY neurologist used to do that to me all the time1 :mad:

Plus it also depends on the tone and context too. Like if someone who knew I was epileptic said "Geez, dont have a fit" in a rude tone implying that what they were saying would cause me to get upset and seize, im pretty sure my fist would meet their teeth. But if someone tells me "Hey I just talked to this guy on the phone and he just took a fit on me!" that would be different.

It depends on the tone of voice it's being used in, where the speaker is from, and if they know what they are witnessing or not.

I worked with someone who used a condescending tone of voice and would tell my co-workers that I looked like a was going to go into "another fit" (a tonic clonic). That offended me because of his condescending tone, plus the fact that he had an EMT background so he KNEW that the proper term for it was "seizure" and not "fit".

At another place that I worked at, there was a woman who worked in the office that had absence seizures which were not well-controlled. We had a quality manager who was from the U.K. and he told me that he was worried that she might fall during one of her "staring fits". I found out that "fit" is a common slang term in the U.K. for a seizure, so I wasn't offended but suggested that he might want to use "seizure" instead...

That first seizure I had at work caused one of the people who worked for me to get overly excited (he had never seen one before) and start hollering something about "the boss is on the floor having a fit!" since he didn't really know how else to describe it. When I came back to work a few days later and was told about it, I wasn't offended since the guy hadn't really known what it was and had hollered about it to get people over to me who might know how to deal with it.

I hate when people use the word episode, spell, etc because it makes me feel like they are too scared to think about seizures and have already sterotyped me. OR they dont call them seizures because they dont believe you have seizures and whatever is happen MUST be something else.

Yes. That's my problem with Garrett. He doesn't like the stigma associated with seizures and epilepsy. He doesn't know anything about it. I think the more I've been treated the more understanding he is. I let him have it one day because I was feeling like he was stereotyping me. And because I have petit mals so I wasn't a "real" epileptic. It's been an interesting road. Kinda bums me out to think about it because I don't know that he'll ever really be comfortable with the terms.

I always say seizure but fit does not bother me.

I was taught that "throwing a fit" or "pitching a fit" meant a temper tantrum, but "did you have a fit?" meant seizure.

I agree with the general consensus that 'seizure' is best, and that other fluffy words like spell or episode seem to be trying to skirt the issue (not a miniskirt either. Like a Quaker homemaker- cover it up we'll pretend it's not there!) But, meh, I don't care much for 'seizure' either.

'Fit' is prolly the worst on account of negative connotations associated with 'pitching a fit' or 'hissy fit', 'conniption fit', etc.

'Episode' might have dramatical associations like my favorite episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer or something. Then again it may be appropriate on account that drama tends to ensue in the wake of a t/c seizure, but it's not dramatic in the sense that we're going for an oscar or something.

Then again, I'll admit i've referred to having absence seizures as 'geeking out'. "Oh, sorry was I geeking out again?" But only, only to super close friends and roommates that graciously deal with me all the time.

and true, Minkels, it's ALL about tone. Especially in a partial, tone speaks volumes over whatevertheboop anyone is saying.

When people say spell or episode, it makes me feel like I'm faking them for some reason...
I'd rather them be called seizures.

My wife used to (on occasion) refer to her absence seizures as "brain farts" back when she used to experience them.

Lol I say brain farts. lol also with my complex partial I always say "Did I leave the lights on again?" 9as in the lights are on but nobody home)

Sometimes I call my t-c's "pulling a flippy-floppy."

Well, I must say I don't like the expression "Episode" either. Don't think I/we ever used that word referring to a seizure. I hear what you are all saying and understand why you would not want to use the word "fit". Thank you all for replying and talking so openly about it.

:e:

Hi Dragongiraffe,

I prefer the word seizure over the word fit. Mainly because I find the word, 'fit' too vague due to it other meanings - such as an angry fit, a giggle fit and so on. While seizure is describes what it really is! Must admit I don't really like the word 'fit' when describing seizures!!! In some ways, when used by some people I find it very annoying - but, that it many because of their tone because it is also said in insulting manner!!!

Miss Choccy

Susan

:e:

"Fit" has a negative connotation in the United States. It's demeaning. In the U.S. it means someone can't control their temper and is having a childish meltdown.

"Seizure" is a more neutral word, and much more descriptive. It is the correct and detailed word describing a medical event. Much better.

My wife used to (on occasion) refer to her absence seizures as "brain farts" back when she used to experience them.

Lol i use that term too, but only amongst family and friends.

Whenever i'm having an absence or complex partial, most people will describe it as a "blank moment" or a "Dopey moment" which i don't really mind so long as there isn't a condescending tone of voice.

Otherwise, i really dislike the term "fit". It really irritates me, no matter how it's said.

If i have a tonic clonic it's described as a seizure.

I'm in Australia so not sure if that makes a difference but 'fit' is certainly appropriate terminology to use in my opinion, when referring to a seizure, or perhaps if someone was having a 'coughing fit'. I get upset however, when people use 'fit' to refer to someone having a tantrum.
I recall standing up and walking out of a university tutorial when the tutor played a kids programme (I was studying to be a teacher) that told a story of a princess that fell in love with a commoner and then when they were prevented from being together he went got drunk and had a fit. I took 'fit' in that context to mean that he had a tantrum because he didn't get the girl he wanted but the tutor said that as legend had it he really did have a 'fit' as in a seizure. What the heck? This was a programme targeted at 4 and 5 year olds and they are talking about drunkenness and talking about 'fits' as if it's something that is brought on by a persons rage. That was about 14 years ago and still irks me to no end.

to be honest

I do not prefer either. Fit and Siezure have negotive connotations. From my personal experience as soon as someone learns that i have epilepsy, i am "labeled" as abnormal and then different. So i pretty much call them everything else under the sun to my family and friends. To them the word siezure is negative. However with my hubby... we call them siezures, so if i had to pick, i would prefer siezures i guess, if that makes any sense?

Back
Top Bottom