Seizure v Fit

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

I have always just called it a seizure. It is what it is, right? But I think from now on I am going to call it 'pulling a flippy floppy'! I like that one! I have never heard anyone use fit or episode, except for on here.

I prefer

seizure, and truly prefer NOT to use 'fit' as it reminds me of a screaming child or someone in a psych ward (no offense meant,) but that's just me.

I do get a ticklle, though, out of some phrases that I see. FDGB is one (fall down go boom.) It's odd, I know, it's just ........I don't know........ *sigh*

I don't really like the word 'fit' in relation to epilepsy so usually use 'seizure' when referring to epilepsy.

When I started taking seizures again in 2002 I used to call them 'funny turns' because I was still adjusting to the types of seizures I take. Now I am used to my seizures & what to look for if I think I've had a seizure so I now call them seizures more then 'turns' lol.

Last edited:
Lol i use that term too, but only amongst family and friends.

Whenever i'm having an absence or complex partial, most people will describe it as a "blank moment" or a "Dopey moment" which i don't really mind so long as there isn't a condescending tone of voice.

Otherwise, i really dislike the term "fit". It really irritates me, no matter how it's said.

If i have a tonic clonic it's described as a seizure.

i try to keep it to family and friends too. the one time i used it with a teacher, they heard "sorry fart" because of the noise in the room when in reality i said "sorry brain fart"

Back
Top Bottom