Seizures caused by Low Blood Sugar

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

RobinN

Super Mom
Reaction score
Experts think that low blood sugar condition (hypoglycemia) is five to ten times more frequent than diabetes in the U.S.A. Roberts and Hurdle estimate that 50 million Americans suffer from it. Nittler thinks the real number is much higher, and closer to 80% of the population.

Misdiagnosis included asthma, neurosis, imaginary sickness, epilepsy, psychosis, nervous skin disease, arthritis, hypertension, menopause, mental retardation, childbirth psychosis, diabetes, alcoholism, Meniere's syndrome, cerebral arteriosclerosis. In some cases hypoglycemia was properly diagnosed, but erroneously treated with sugar.

Hypoglycemia is connected with nutritional imbalances in most of the cases and treated mostly by the proper diet. Therefore it is very important to understand the sugar control of our body.

Emotions can cause trouble through the adrenal glands, especially if they are strong or continuous. Like any other stress, emotions cause the adrenals to secrete adrenalin to release more stored sugar. After the sugar reserve of the liver and the muscles are exhausted, the proper blood sugar level cannot be maintained. It drops. Deficient diet, or malfunctioning organs may cause the same result.

MSG triples the amount of insulin the pancreas creates, producing low blood sugar !!!

http://www.hbci.com/~wenonah/new/blood-s.htm

Some seizure disorders can be treated if the source of the seizures is removed. An example of this would be certain metabolic conditions, like low blood sugar, low sodium, or low calcium levels. In this case, correcting the metabolic imbalance can usually treat seizures. For instance, if an individual had low blood sugar, giving them sugar would usually stop the seizures from occurring. Additionally, high fevers may cause seizures. In most cases, reducing the temperature and breaking the fever usually prevents the seizures from recurring.

http://epilepsy.about.com/od/medicationsandtreatments/a/treatment.htm

There are three types of hypoglycemia such as mild, moderate and severe. As the blood sugar level falls, the severity of symptoms increases.

* Mild Hypoglycemia: When blood sugar level falls below normal blood sugar levels (70 mg/dl), it is known as mild hypoglycemia. Major signs of mild hypoglycemia are trembling, extreme hunger, nausea, feeling nervous, excessive sweating, rapid heartbeat and tingling or numbness of fingertips or lips.
* Moderate Hypoglycemia: If blood sugar falls below 55 mg/dl, then the condition is known as moderate hypoglycemia. It could affect the nervous system. Major signs of this type of hypoglycemia are confusion, difficulty in thinking, mood changes such as anxiety, anger, restlessness, or irritability, fatigue, weakness, lack of energy, headache, dizziness, poor coordination, difficulty in walking or talking.
* Severe Hypoglycemia: It is due to extreme fall in blood sugar levels (below 35-40 mg/dl). It causes symptoms such as seizures or convulsions, low body temperature (hypothermia), loss of consciousness and coma.

http://www.buzzle.com/articles/signs-of-low-blood-sugar.html

Vitamins for Hypoglycemia

Hypoglycemia is diagnosed based on the physical examination, medical history and blood glucose tests. Treatment of hypoglycemia is done by taking medication and raising the blood glucose levels. Immediate recovery for a hypoglycemic attack is achieved after consuming sugar-rich diets. Another important treatment of hypoglycemia is done by means of vitamins. Certain types of vitamins are used effectively for maintaining the sugar level and boosting the metabolism of the body. Let’s discuss about vitamins that are helpful in treatment of hypoglycemia.

Chromium is one of the most important vitamins that have been used in treatment of hypoglycemia and diabetes. Since chromium is a cofactor of insulin, it plays a major function of regulating the sugar level of the body. It activates the insulin receptors and increases the insulin transduction. Studies have found out that supplementation of chromium in the diet of a hypoglycemic patient helps in controlling blood glucose and improves insulin sensitivity of the body. Foods rich in chromium are nuts, wheat, legumes, seafood and mushrooms.

Vitamin B is most commonly used for treating hypoglycemia. It helps in digestion of carbohydrates, which ultimately results in sugar. Among the many types of vitamin B, Vitamin B3 (niacin) and Vitamin B6 (pyridoxine) are mostly used for treatment of hypoglycemia.

Adequate amount of niacin speeds up the metabolism of food and increases the insulin sensitivity of the body. Most of the protein-rich foods have high content of niacin. Sources of niacin include pulses, fish, eggs, meat and milk. Pyridoxine maintains the glucose level by regulating the carbohydrate metabolism of the body. Some of the foods that contain pyridoxine are soybeans, wheat germ, whole-grain cereals and meat. One should also take magnesium supplements as they help in activation of vitamin B for metabolism of sugar and maintain the energy levels of the body.

Regular intake of vitamin C helps in overcoming hypoglycemia condition. It has been found out that vitamin C neutralizes insulin and helps to balance the glucose levels of the body. Food sources of vitamin C include citrus fruits, broccoli, strawberries, tomatoes and potatoes. Another important vitamin used in treatment of hypoglycemia is vitamin E, which is a powerful antioxidant. It helps in processing and regulating glucose in the body. Vitamin E is found in green leafy vegetables, egg yolks, whole-grain cereals and in nuts and seeds.

Dimethylglycine (DMG), one of the active ingredients of vitamin B15 plays an important role in the sugar metabolism of the body. It enhances blood supply to the brain and helps in boosting the immune system and energy metabolism. DMG is a derivative of glycine (amino acid) and hence, it is mostly found in foods rich in glycine such as brown rice and seafood.

After following the treatment for hypoglycemia, it is advisable to regularly monitor the blood glucose levels for any changes. It is recommended to seek advice from a physician before taking up any treatment. Changing the diet and including vitamins that regulate the sugar level of the body can effectively help in treating hypoglycemia.

http://www.buzzle.com/articles/vitamins-for-hypoglycemia.html

This is how I think I got to the point if having seizures...I would space out if I didn't eat something every 3 hrs and when given OJ or glucose tabs I would "come back" ...In Dec. I had 2 seizures both times after not eating much during the day(just not real hungry and busy) and after having trouble sleeping the nights before. the first one occured at work in a high school classroom and the school nurse who I had seen before about low blood sugar(was 20 once!) said it was 40 then gave me glucose and by the time I left school it was 120(after juice and granola bar also)...She did say the emt's first gave me oxygen and I came to enough to swallow the glucose. The second time was similar but appeared more tonic clonic...I was just eating breakfast and when emt's checked upon arrival 30 min later BS was 82(after food I had been eating started digesting)BS was I am sure lower at seizure time....
Neurologist put me on Keppra and MRI showed nothing 20 minEEG showed nothing and in 2 weeks a VEEG is planned....I will be surprised if anything shows unless they try to induce hypoglycemic reaction....Since the second seizure I have been eating much more frequently through out the day and have had no spacy hypoglycemic episodes and I don't think Keppra would have affected that...I have a log of Blood sugar a month ago and now these next two weeks will keep another log to compare....my average was around 85 bs...so there were low numbers in there many 50-60's...hopefully I will show doc that now the average is in a more normal range.

I also printed out all your info. will post what happens after my veeg. The docs are pretty much ignoring my mention of Hypo at this point.
Sue

Off topic: What really is starting to bug me is... IF Drs dont know what caused your E how the heck are they so sure changes in diet wouldnt help? I think wed better start advocating that these E DRs broaden their scope of beliefs. Many Drs really need to move into the present and catch up with research.

I wish you all well.

joan*

... how the heck are they so sure changes in diet wouldnt help? I think wed better start advocating that these E DRs broaden their scope of beliefs. ...

Dr. Kossoff @ Johns Hopkins seems to be leading the exploration into researching the role of diets and seizure control. Maybe more will jump into the field. It seems like there is a lot of room to be explored.

Hi Sue! Sorry to hear about your docs ignoring the hypo issue. Of course, my neuro didn't think to check until he found out I blacked out while driving and hit a gas main. Luckily, the only damage done was to the main, and it was quickly taken care of. Since then, I've been careful with my blood sugar. The doc I first saw for it asked if there was anyone in my family had diabetes. I told her yes, my grandfather. He's on insulin. Then I mentioned my mom's funny reaction to food. If she eats, she falls asleep about 30 min. later. If she has a glass of wine, it's about 20 minutes later. The doc said it sounds like my mom is pre-diabetic, and that I'm hypo. She ran a blood test 2 hours after eating and the BS level was low. So, now I eat 6 times a day and always make sure I have protein with carbs. She said that if I can control it now, then I can avoid the pre-diabetic stage later, as well as diabetes. So, here I am controlling the situation with diet. :)Anyway, good luck at your next doc. appt. :)

Just ran across this site and thought I would share it

Hypoglycemia Support Foundation

...If you think you may be going crazy; if you have thoughts of suicide; if you're constantly exhausted, anxious and depressed; if you go weeks without a decent night's sleep; if your personality changes like the flip of a coin; if a counter full of munchies doesn't satisfy your sweet tooth; and if your doctor thinks you might be a hypochondriac because medical tests don't show anything physically wrong with you - don't despair, there's hope!

Here is something to consider...

Blood sugar could drop to lower your threshold. When a seizure occurs and you are lucky enough to see your local EMTs when they test your blood sugar it might be within range, due to the fact that it rises as a stress response.

When Rebecca's was high after a seizure, that is what I was told. So if it is within range after a seizure, it does not mean that it was not low before the seizure.

Rebecca's blood sugar was fine after a fast. Her first morning blood sugar test was fine. It wasn't until the last draw (7th) that it dropped to a dangerous level. That was on the third hour. What might it have been on the 4th hour.

Certainly it might be lowered quickly after a meal, due to the choices of foods eaten. Some type of a simple carb could raise the sugar level, and then it would plummet during a stressful, or activity where energy was necessary.

The Do's and Don'ts of the Hypo Diet are falling to within a similar vein as other neuro nutritional suggestions.

Thanks for the info...I am learning so much here from everyone! I will let you know how things go after my veeg in 2 weeks and I will bring my recent log of daily blood sugar numbers ...also I have an appt with an epidemiologist in 2 months to discuss the hypo .

Thanks so much!
Sue

Cross posted in a few threads. It is relevant to a few different discussions
The human brain runs entirely off of glucose, so it is natural to some extent to crave sweets. However, while we do need sugar daily in the form of seeded fruit, refined sugar and concentrated cooked starches (carbohydrates) are more of a drug than food.

Frugivores thus are not designed to eat the heavy amount of starch found in cooked grains, beans, and tubers (potatoes and yams), but instead are perfectly designed to eat the small amount of starch in leafy greens and fresh fruits (nuts are part of the fruit family as are many vegetables like tomatoes), as well as a small amount of uncooked tubers, roots, and mushrooms. Cooking root vegetables, like tubers, causes too high a concentration of glucose for the body to be able to handle at once and this shoots up the creation of insulin by our pancreas, which we want to try to avoid at all costs for a long healthy life. Cooking starches also renders some of the starch to be unrecognizable by the human body, making them essentially toxic to our system. So when we eat cooked starches are blood sugar rises suddenly while the rest of the meal is left behind in the colon to ferment.

Try this with a baked potato, or with sweet potatoes at cooked-yams-sweet-potatoesThanksgiving, and you will never experience that taste change. What will happen though is at some point you will feel incredibly full and maybe even a little sick and dizzy so you will finally stop eating. Then you will soon get drowsy as the insulin effect quickly makes your high blood sugar fall very fast and low. This is what we call reactive hypoglycemia. At that point is when you either sleep or begin to want pumpkin pie, ice cream, or whatever, and the viscous hypoglycemic effect begins all over again. People who are unaware of what is happening to them and who eat a standard cooked food diet, are constantly on this glycemic rollercoaster and they don't even know it. Then after years and years they develop diabetes or heart disease or obesity or drug and drinking problems, and maybe they find out at the very least that they have a sugar or eating problem.

For a diet for reactive hypoglycemia and diabetes nutrition, stop eating cooked starches and hybridized, seedless, laboratory-produced fruit immediately. If you stop cooking your food then you will also not be getting advanced glycation endproducts , which are involved in both heart disease and in every disease process of diabetes. Really the first thing we need to do when leaving behind unhealthy cooked foods is admit that we are addicted to the hyperglycemic and filling effect they give us and acknowledge that we have to accept a different, more balanced way of life.
http://www.raw-living-food-success.com/diet-for-reactive-hypoglycemia.html

Hmmm.....funny you should mention the 'low blood sugar' thing Robin. I've been taking Maltodextrin for a fair while when I go to the gym. They come in a nice flavoured 'tablet' form (hey, what's ANOTHER tablet to my collection :D ), and I pop one immediately before the workout, one half way through, and one at the end.

I definitely feel less tired/exhausted at the end of the workout for it, which is funny as this was around the time that I would have my sz's down the gym. :ponder:

Maltodextrin is a relative of MSG though... :ponder:

I am sure that is because it takes longer for your body to process it.
We all make choices on what we are willing to chance. My only point is that it is a health risk in the long term.

Just wanted to throw in my 2 cents...

I was misdiagnosed with Hypoglycemia from the age of 14 - 25. I had Epilepsy the entire time, and it was never caught. The doctors just kept telling me I was Hypoglycemic. I still don't understand how I could have been misdiagnosed for so long.

I know when my sugar drops, my auras are worse and, I'm more likely to have a seizure.

yet Epilepsy is not a disease, it is only a label that means you have had two or more seizures.
Those seizures might be caused by a drop in blood sugar.
Is that really considered a misdiagnosis?

I'm not saying it's a disease...

I had more than 2 seizures at that point in time. After many tests, it just seems they would have caught it. I know low sugar could have been the cause of the seizures, but that isn't something I should have been diagnosed with. It's just a part of Epilepsy, which I should have been diagnosed with.

For my daughter it isn't a part of Epilepsy, it most likely is the reason she is having seizures. Which then is labelled as Epilepsy since she has had more than two.

Is it the only reason for her seizures? Seems like something else would cause them, aside from the Hypoglycemia, but I don't know enough to claim that. I'm still learning...

Id think epilepsy wouldnt cause Hypoglycemia but I think Hypoglycemia could cause epilepsy. If that makes sense.

joan*

Back
Top Bottom