Sneezing triggers SPS olfactory aura

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

k2s4ever

New
Reaction score
I have SPS with olfactory aura. (the burning smell that also distorts taste)No progression of the E thank goodness and I am having less auras since being on Depakote ER. They are not gone, but significantly less. I can go several days in a row now without one, even 2 or more weeks last month in a row I went. (usually average 15-20/month, and have had 29-30/month in my worse months) Last month I only had 7! Now this month I am already at 6 so therefore, my hopes are getting a little dashed, but it is STILL better than usual. Yesterday I sneezed mid-day and it brought on the aura (a burning smell), after I hadn't had one in 5 days. I have noticed before that a sneeze will trigger an aura, or if I'm sniffly. (I don't have allergies either). Of course, I don't always have this when I sneeze or have some slight nasal congestion, but it has happened enough that I see a correlation. But anytime when I haven't had my SPS event and a sneeze is coming on (or I have sniffles), I'm like great, here we go. But certainly much of the time when I sneeze, I don't go on to have the seizure. But it has happened enough to make me wonder what the correlation is between sneezing, nasal congestion, and simple partial seizure events in the temporal lobe region.
Anyone?

Maybe the sneeze is also part of the aura/seizure?

Also, the nerves/muscles that make you sneeze are very close to the ones that make you squint when you look at something bright like the sun, so it could be a photosensitive reaction as well. (I sneeze when I look at the sun).

Thanks Nakamova...I leanred something today...always wondered why I sneezed when I looked at the sun...LOL! :)

Yup Nak, your right

Your brain fires neurons rapidly to force you to sneeze when looking at bright light. its a defense mechanism that is used to protect you eyes/vision because you cant sneeze with your eyes open.

SO sneezing with light is a photosensitive reaction, and technically a alot of neurons firing. I wonder what that would look like caught o an EEG?

Hey-that is an interesting point. I know that light can cause sneezing. I was at work in an enclosed office with no sunlight when I had the aura yesterday. I can't pinpoint what causes sneezing and when, but it's more in the morning than any other time. I definitely don't have discernible photosensitivy E-flashing strobe lights don't affect me at all, etc. I had an outpatient EEG where the strobe light was used and I had no reaction. But good point-is the sneeze CAUSED by the seizure. So I wonder, am I already having the seizure and THEN the burn aura kicks in as well as another effect? So far, the burn smell has been the only indicator that I have had an aura/seizure. Like I said, I sneeze plenty without it initiating an olfactory aura. I sneezed this morning about three times, and today so far at 6:30 PM, no aura yet. and sometimes when the corners of my eyes are itchy and I rub a little bit, it can trigger a sneeze too-part of that same nerve/muscle area I think. SO hmm, maybe I have some of the sunlight reaction too thought like I mentioned, my sneeze that kicked off the burn smell was not when I was in sunlight. Thanks for input and I look forward to any additions!!

This NYT article suggests that sneezures (that is, sneezing caused by seizures:)) are a relatively well-known phenomenon:

http://www.nytimes.com/1983/06/22/g...zing-gets-a-big-reaction.html?&pagewanted=all

Here's a relevant chunk of the article:

"There are four types of sneezes, according to Dr. Stromberg: allergic or irritative sneezing; sneezing controlled by the involuntary nervous system; psychological or emotional sneezing, and sneezing related to seizures. The primary cause is irritation from an allergy, and secondly from the common cold. Irritative sneezing may also be caused or aggravated by hairs in the nose, nasal polyps or a deviated septum.
Other triggers of the sneeze reflex include exposure to sunlight or other bright light, strong odors and sudden chills, all of which induce sneezing by stimulating the involuntary nervous system. Perhaps the notion that colds can be caused by being in a draft or getting feet wet evolved because such exposures provoke sneezing in many people.
Emotional stimuli of the sneeze reflex include fear (which causes the nasal membranes to shrink), frustration, apprehension, grief, anguish and resentment (which cause the membranes to swell). Excitement, joy and sexual arousal can also provoke sneezing, Dr. Stromberg wrote in Human Nature magazine.
He added that sneezing related to seizures is indicative of a brain abnormality, and in some cases sneezing is the only sign of epilepsy. The increased susceptibility to sneezing during menstruation or pregnancy results from nasal swelling caused by changes in the balance of sex hormones."

Interestingly enough, sneezing has always been one of my triggers. I have catamenial epilepsy and only have simple partial seizures. I have difficulty reading and speaking and lightheaded episodes. I have been on Lupron for several months. A side effect of the Lupron is hot flashes. For a number of days each cycle, I have a stuffy nose. Every time I get a hot flash, the stuffy nose immediately disappears only to resume when the hot flash resolves. When things really start to ramp up, I have sneezing fits. When I sneeze, I can't talk for the next half hour. Hormones can really cause some craziness!

Back
Top Bottom