weather change causing breakthroughs

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

cpthom2x

New
Reaction score
Does anyone experience breakthrough seizures when the weather changes drastically?
the weather in Indy last week was crazy,cold then on Sat lots of changes temp in the 60s,rain. my son had really bad headaches,throwing up, and then the seizures started...we ended up in the ER. I keep telling his neurologist that I think the weather has a lot to do with his seizures....DR. never entertains this idea

DR. never entertains this idea

I guess the doctor doesn't know much about his practice. Because every seizure AED I've been on and neurologist I've seen says stay out of direct sunlight or excessive heat.

The weather does have an effect on people. It bothers me like crazy. :(
I can deal with the very cold temps fine. Going out in temps. 20-50 degrees I'm
fine. But on the other side 65-70+, I'm a goner. I get heatstroke which brings on seizures for me. That's why I like winter (except for the snow), and hate summer.

I live in the Denver area and we are having a drastic temp change now, too. Minus zero @ night. I find that sometimes when there is a change like that, it can bring on bad headaches and sometimes seizures due to changes in the barometric pressure. I used to live in Memphis and whenever a low pressure system was building, I almost always would get a bad migraine.

My mum is adamant my epilepsy is always worse in the autumn. I've struggled a bit recently and here in Perth, Australia, we've had heatwaves, cold nights etc all mixed into one! I definitely feel very drained in the heat and I pass out if I don't eat well and stay hydrated with electrolytes etc.

I am always on alert when it comes to weather.I can have seizures do to weather change.

My seizures started when we went to visit family in Tennessee around Christmas. I never thought about it, but I wonder if the drastic change from Louisiana to freezing up there might have contributed. Hmm.

Back
Top Bottom