Coping With Epilepsy The Enhancement Institute
10% off neurofeedback training for CWE members - Houston, TX
Neurofeedback Partner - Free Advertisement

Go Back   Epilepsy Forum > Peer Support > The Kitchen > Diets

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2009, 11:18 AM
Venerable Voice of CWE

Thanked 1,868 Times in 966 Posts
From what I've read the only strain of Epilepsy which can cause sudden death is status epilepticus. Very rare. I don't know if it falls as high as 20 percentile in our population but will have to look into that. I take flaxseed oil every morning. It does offer so many benefits to body and mind. Barlean's is the best brand, but our health food store closed! And I can't find it anywhere. Upon purchase it's sold cold to carry the best benefits. Now, it's to RiteAid where I by Nature's Bounty. Warm over the counter. Better than nothing. I go for the liquid rather than the capsules because I hear it's more effective. I take a tablespoon strait up. Hold my breath, then flush it down with a large glass of water.

Overall, I have more energy, taking much comfort that it's doing it's very good mutli-tasking job. Cheers!
"I'm not only my spirit but my body, and who can decide how much I, my individual self, am conditioned by the accident of my body? Would Byron have been Byron but for his club foot, or Dostoyevsky Dostoyevsky without his epilepsy" Somerset Maugham

The Writer's Cafe'
http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/f44/
Temporal Lobe Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deDrV...eature=related
Add Post to del.icio.usStumble this Post!Reddit!
Old 09-24-2009, 07:18 AM
CWE Benefactor

Has anyone out there heard of Salba? Gram for gram it packs:

* 8 times more Omega-3 than Atlantic salmon...
* 6 times more calcium than whole milk....
* 15 times more magnesium than broccoli...
* 3 times more antioxidant capacity than blueberries...
* More fiber than flaxseed, more protein than soy...

Salba is the richest source of Omega-3 fatty acids of any whole food in the history of nutrition!

In fact, gram for gram, these little granules contain 8 times more Omega-3 fatty acids than the equivalent weight of fresh Atlantic salmon.

I'm not saying "stop eating salmon." Salmon contains different kinds of Omega-3, including high amounts of DHA and EPA...while Salba's Omega-3s are mainly in the form of alpha linolenic acid. And it's best to have all of these forms.

You can add Salba to your morning oatmeal...stir it into yogurt...sprinkle it onto your favorite salads...bake it into breads, brownies, cookies and other treats...

And if you grind it in your coffee grinder, it's a fabulous thickener for soups, stews and sauces! You can even use it as a crispy coating for oven-fried chicken! 2 tablespoons is all you need.

It all works like a charm because Salba blends in seamlessly with other ingredients. No griity after taste. Plus, you can stock your pantry without worry of Salba spoiling. In its whole seed form, Salba has a 5-year shelf life, without any need for artificial preservatives.

Salba is also surprisingly rich in vitamins A, B2, B3, B6, C and Thiamin. Plus 20minerals and trace elements, 17 fatty acids and 16 different amino acids.

So if you If you hate flaxseed, you'll love Salba...and if you like flaxseed, you'll adore Salba!
The Following User Says Thank You to PhylisFeinerJohnson For This Useful Post:
Endless (07-19-2010)
Old 07-19-2010, 05:18 PM
Your Host

Thanked 1,650 Times in 597 Posts
Quote :
Omega-6 and omega-3, both polyunsaturated fatty acids, are each critical to good health.

But too much of the first and not enough of the second can lead to overweight offspring, the scientists showed in experiments with mice designed to mirror recent shifts in human diet.

Over the last four decades, the ratio of omega-6 to omega-3 in a typical Western diet has shifted from a healthy five-to-one to 15-to-one in much of Europe, and up to 40-to-one in the United States.

In the breast milk of American women, the average ratio has gone from six-to-one to 18-to-one.

Earlier studies have established a link between such imbalances and heart disease.

But "this is the first time that we have shown a trans-generational increase in obesity" linked to omega intake, said Gerard Ailhaud, a biochemist at the University of Nice-Sophia Antipolis and main architect of the study.

"Omega six is like a fat-producing bomb," he told AFP by phone.

Experts differ on whether obesity is more importantly due to the percentage of fat in one's diet or the sheer amount of calories consumed.

The findings, published in the US-based Journal of Lipid Research, add yet another dimension to the debate, and could shed new light on the obesity epidemic that has swept across the globe, mainly in rich nations.

They also suggest that persistence within families of health-threatening weight gain -- while not genetic in origin -- may not be entirely due to environmental factors either.

The link between omega imbalance and obesity "is probably epigenetic," said Ailhaud, referring to the complex process whereby the information in genes is translated into chemical activity.

"The genome and the DNA of the rodents has not been modified, but these factors can influence the way in which certain genes are expressed."
http://www.physorg.com/news198518697.html

More on gene expression here:

Healthy lifestyle triggers genetic changes
New to CWE? I suggest reading the proactive prescription and epilepsy 101 threads. Also check out this chart of alternative epilepsy treatments and this page on EEG Neurofeedback. More great stuff can be found in the list of the best forum threads.

Would you like to help support this forum?
Add Post to del.icio.usStumble this Post!Reddit!

Tags
dha, omega 3