A little input would be very much appreciated

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

danhalen

New
Reaction score
Hi, my name is Dan, I'm 30 and I come from the UK.

I was hoping for a little input please - I have a tendency to waffle on so I'll try my best to be concise. For quite some time now I have been having problems with frequent periods of dizziness/disorientation almost always followed by a good measure of cognitive impairment, personality change. visual disturbances, balance problems and nausea. Motor issues and dyslexic-like symptoms are regular occurrences. I frequently find myself staring into space/zoning out and I often have problems losing track of time. Quite regularly I experience emotional changes with these events such as anxiety, restlessness, short temper and anger (sometimes accompanied with deja vu). I do have headaches with these "events" but not always - I'd estimate 30% of the time or thereabouts. I regularly forget and mispronounce words once the dizziness kicks in along with stuttering and (sometimes very prominent) slurred speech.

The odd thing is I'm not always like this - I'm a web applications developer and was a qualified programmer just after I turned 16. One minute I can be a competent and highly functional member of the workforce and the next minute all my productivity, creativeness and capability just escapes me, rendering me almost useless for the next 3 or 4 hours.

I was diagnosed with adult ADHD back in January and have tried a few different medications but methylphenidate seems to help better than most. The down side is that I'm not spectacularly responsive to the medication - certainly not experiencing any of the life changing revelations that so many ADHD patients observe on medication. Recently I began to wonder if the ADHD (which appears to go back to childhood) is only part of the story. I've always had problems with mood swings, brain fog, concentration and attentiveness but these problems appear to be worsening as I get older.

Since being treated with methylphenidate I've become much more observant of the other problems I'm experiencing. As mad as it sounds, these events appear to be triggered by things such as fluorescent lights, opening the curtains in the morning (also moving from a dark room to a bright one), sometimes travelling in the car (always put this down to motion sickness) and most peculiar of all - reading. And with being a programmer this is highly disruptive. I seem to do better with certain colour combinations. Black text on white is quite a challenge - shades of yellow background seem smoother but not for all that long really.

I seem to be pretty hit and miss with various computer monitors - I've got a 24" LED monitor running at 60hz both at home and at work. Using the monitor during the day (both at work and at home) seems to be harder on me than in the evenings but that's not to say that evening use is a walk in the park - a little easier but it still gives me problems. I have similar issues with the LCD on my partners laptop and the OLED screen on my phone. The screen I appear to get on best with is my large screen plasma. I don't appear to have much of a problem with either strobe lighting or video games on the TV. Sometimes traveling in the car will set me off.

Recently these occurrences appear to have become more frequent and I may be experiencing some sensory hallucinations. One of these events was immediately preceded by the strong smell of burned toast and I experienced some phantom tastes in my mouth on Sunday. Much of the weekend was a bit of a write off to be honest. I spoke to my doctor and my mother (who works in care) last week and the subject of epilepsy and partial seizures was raised - I only heard of such things at the end of last week. My doctor has stated I am not allowed to drive and I will be seeing him on Friday for further discussion and investigation.

I do have a few conditions which may or may not contribute in one way or another - This is all new to me so I have no idea to be honest. I had untreated severe sleep apnea for potentially a large portion of my adult life (even earlier perhaps). I was diagnosed that latter part pf last year where it was discovered I would stop breathing completely for up to 90 seconds a time repeatedly during my sleep. I have been led to believe that prolonged untreated apnea can cause brain issues. I also have an eye condition called keratoconus - My right eye appears to be holding up well but I've had about 5 operations in my left eye. The difference in vision between the two is vast - with corrective lenses I can read the second bottom line on a chart using my right eye but cannot read a single letter on the chart with my left eye. The two contrasting images can prove overwhelming at times. It is also suspected that I may have Hashimoto's thyroiditis and am awaiting lab results.

In addition to this I suffered a mains electric shock straight to my head a couple of years ago (which was damp with sweat). I was hospitalised but no neurological tests were carried out prior to discharge.

Does any of this ring similar to anyone at all? Sorry if I'm not appearing particularly coherent. I'm trying to write this whilst "spinning out" at my desk after an entire day of writing code at the office (whilst spinning out). It's certainly somewhat concerning and I expect it will be some time before I work my way up the waiting list for tests so a little input or tales of similar experiences would go a long way.

Many thanks for reading,
-Dan.

Ironic postscript edit - memory problems. Once upon a time I had a pretty good memory. This is no longer the case at all - absolutely dreadful during/after the aforementioned events :)

Last edited:
Hi Dan, welcome to CWE!

Many of the things you describe are symptoms of simple partial and complex partial seizures. I suggest that you go see a neurologist to get tested. If your symptoms are escalating in frequency, duration, or kind you need to find a way to put the brakes on. Make sure the neurologist knows about your sleep apnea -- it can often play a triggering role for seizures. A sleep study would be helpful to get a qualitative review of what's going on. Another thing to discuss with your doctor: Because most ADHD meds are stimulants, they are a bad idea for folks with seizures; the ones you've tried may have triggered some of your symptoms or made them worse. Methylphenidate (Ritalin) isn't recommended for people with seizure disorders, though if it's the only thing that helps with your ADHD, it may be safe to take once you get seizure control through other methods.

You can read more about partial seizures here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simple_partial_seizure and here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Complex_partial_seizure

Symptoms include just about everything you've mentioned:
Motor disturbances, mental confusion, deja vu, sensory hallucinations, mood changes, photosensitivity, tingling senstions, etc.

best,
Nakamova

Hi Nakamova,
Many thanks for your response - It's most appreciated.
I have an appointment with my GP tomorrow morning and I'm pretty sure he'll refer me to a neurologist there and then. Just tiring of it all really to be honest. Would be good just to finally have an answer. Definitely becoming more aware of what triggers me - the computer monitor appears to be #1 on the list at the moment though I find this odd really as it's not a CRT and the refresh rate is a good 60hz. Very peculiar indeed.

I've had a good few events today and the eye floaters are out in full force but I'm trying to make some tweaks on the hope they will help (such as significantly reducing scroll speed, trying to avoid looking at animations/slide shows too much).

Good call regarding the apnea! I'll definitely mention that although my compliance is well over 90% and the last time I checked (a while ago to be honest) I was showing less than 3 events per hour on average (though these appear to be central rather than obstructive in nature).

I'll have a look at the medication too. At the moment it's got to be the only thing helping me function on any meaningful level but there certainly does appear to be a correlation regarding event frequency.

I'll admit I'm quite concerned at this point. When neurology comes into the frame I think it can be difficult not to focus on worst case scenarios. I've spent my life trying to build a career in development despite various difficulties and if it transpires that most computer screens will provoke the same kind of event then I have absolutely no idea what to do :ponder:

I've heard other folks report that computer usage -- even with the newer monitors -- is still triggering for them. Perhaps there are other factors that are contributing, such as the ambient light in the room where the computer is located, or the movements on the screen. Blue screens seem to interfere with quality of sleep, so it's a good idea to stop using computers/tvs/phones at least a half-hour before going to sleep. You may have to do a little detective work to figure out what makes things worse or better. Some folks have found that polarized glasses help. See http://irlen.com/index.php

Let us know how things go with doctor and neurologist.

If you do receive an epilepsy diagnosis, it does not mean you have photosensitive epilepsy. The photosensitivity bit seems to be one of the things that is most commonly known about epilepsy, so I guess a lot of people think seizures and photosensitivity always coexist. That is not true.

Ten years ago I used to have seizures in front of my PC and am extremely photosensitive. If I stand in a room with a flashing light I instantly feel a seizure coming on. The last two computers I bought were put together to avoid epileptic reactions, and they have worked well for that. I did have to spend about double what I would have otherwise but since I work all day on my PC, it's well worthwhile. These days the situation is really improving because monitor refresh rates are speeding up in keeping with the way high definition programming and film is taking over the industry. If you get a monitor that follows the resolution with the letter 'p' rather than 'i,' there will be a constant image on the screen. The latter shows half the pixels half of the time, and the other half for the rest of the time, relying on the brain to keep it all together, which it does extraordinarily well. Trouble is that that creates slower refresh rates which are not so good for photosensitive epilepsy. If you tailor your PC so that it gives you the very best high definition image, it will naturally follow that refresh rates will be higher and seizures will be less likely. If you do have photosensitive epilepsy, you might be lucky enough that a change in your PC specs might improve matters. If not, I think technology is going to take care of the issue in time, not because it would help epilepsy patients but because higher refresh rates mean a clearer image--so manufacturers will continuously move towards monitors that are less likely to cause seizures. That is my opinion, anyway.

I agree with Nakamova. It sounds like complex partials. I have a lot of the symptoms you are displaying. Foggy headedness, slurred speech etc. The slurred speech only happens when I am foggy headed and experiencing other symptoms. I also have olfactory hallucinations. Normally I am quite articulate but the slurred speech and dyslexia become quite prominent. I have trouble typing on a keyboard too. I don't think it is unreasonable to suggest you experience symptoms when reading. I find that if I concentrate on anything with too much intensity it can bring on a reaction. Best of Luck.

Hello all,
Just thought I'd post a quick update. Finally have a referral to see a neurologist. My GP made the request about 6 weeks ago and it finally came through today - Friday 13th December!

I must say the long wait is very disheartening. From GP to initial consultation will be the best part of 7 months. I hope nothing bad is happening in my head in the mean time. Not a happy person at all this evening

Ask the neuro if you can get on the "cancellation list" in case a spot opens up sooner. Don't be afraid to be a pest -- call early and often to see if you can make the appointment happen sooner.

Hi folks. I hope everyone is well.
I finally had my MRI last week and my EEG earlier on today. It's been a long wait but I'm glad I'm finally in the system.

The EEG went OK for the most part. Didn't have too much of a problem with the heavy breathing portion. Only got a little light headed but nothing drastic.

However I didn't do so well with the strobe section. As soon as the speed picked up I started getting tingles and unpleasant sensations in several places on my body including my face, right arm and the lower portion of my body. Very shortly afterwards I started feeling very, very dizzy and felt very spaced out. So much that I ended up getting on the wrong train after the appointment - something has never happened before :ponder: I've been feeling very nauseous and disconnected for pretty much the rest of the day. It's only been within the last couple of hours I've started to feel more lucid.

The person who conducted the test was very pleasant and we developed quite a rapport - taking the opportunity, I made an "off the record" query as to how the test went. I was told that obviously not a diagnosis by any stretch of the imagination, nothing too out of the ordinary showed up whilst the test was under way... Perhaps it's all in my head after all? :oops:

Hi Dan,

Good to hear the tests are advancing. Could it be in your head? Sure. Then again, I have had plenty of simple partials while the EEG was completely normal. An EEG is only a tool in diagnostics and is not 100% by any means.

I understand what its like to have ADHD and other problems and then experience epilepsy out of the blue. There is a good chance it can go for quite some time unnoticed.

Best of luck.

Hi Dan,
I also have had eeg's read 'normal' after i had a strong aura/partial during the process. And I hope you get what you need to feel better here at C.W.E. Sharing with others who KNOW on here has helped me much more than all the Doctors and tests I have had over the years. So please keep us posted.

Thanks for replying folks - I really appreciate it.

I'd very much like to get involved in the community you have here but I'm reticent in that I don't have a diagnosis yet. There is a lot of good information and friendly members but as peculiar as it may sound I would feel somewhat "fraudulent" as it were seeing as my symptoms can be attributed to myriad and compound issues - It just happens that partial seizures seem to fit the bill best :ponder:

Anyway, I'm hoping that the results don't take too long. It's certainly going to be a frustrating Christmas and I wish it hadn't taken such a long time to get to this point. I'm also feeling really quite worn down too - Feeling so dizzy and disconnected 90% of the time isn't particularly fun and the frequent periods of brain fog and cognitive dysfunction make my job so much harder than it should be.

I'm finding that the last few weeks have been more difficult with regard to the frequency and severity of my symptoms. I'm thinking that perhaps it could be attributed to the increase in my exposure to fluorescent lighting? Now the mornings and evenings are darker there's tube lighting on the bus first thing in the morning, at the super market when I grab some breakfast quickly, on the platform whilst awaiting a train and then on the train, followed by up to 9 hours of tube lighting in my office, and then followed up by another train station, train and bus combo.

I am really hoping that the results come back positive - without meaning to belittle the condition in any way at all, I think I would be quite relieved to find a physiological source to my mental discomfort opposed to a generic anxiety or depression diagnosis. Having that I could start putting together a plan with regard to managing my teiggers.

I am really hoping that the results come back positive - without meaning to belittle the condition in any way at all, I think I would be quite relieved to find a physiological source to my mental discomfort opposed to a generic anxiety or depression diagnosis. Having that I could start putting together a plan with regard to managing my teiggers.

Dan, I understand that completely. I had an EEG 3 1/2 years ago that came back normal. The neuro dismissed seizures and treated me For TIA's. The symptoms continued for 3 1/2 years, sometimes worse than others. I felt like I had some kind of mental condition. Finally saw a new neuro that diagnosed me based on symptoms and started me on medication. I fell much better and haven't had aseizure since Nov. 7 and even that was very mild.

I was so happy to finally have a DX. I hope you get some help from the neuro you are seeing.

TIA stands for Transient Ischemic Attack or a precursor to a stroke. I has a stroke the day before the seizures started.

And all of a sudden my problems do not seem so bad :oops: I'm really sorry to read that happened to you.

Danhalen, I really think you should stay even if the results don't show anything. Frequently EEG's and other tests don't show anything wrong. A good neuro should still be able to DX you treat you just from describing your symptoms. I had a normal EEG right after the stroke but still am having partial seizures. Since starting on meds in October I think I have only had one partial unless some occurred in my sleep that I am unaware of. I actually have a sinus infection right now and that is one of my triggers and so far, so good.

As far as my stroke, don't feel bad. Thankfully it was very mild and the only lasting damage I am aware of are the seizures and higher insurance premiums because the insurance company thinks I at risk of having another , even though my doctors seem to think I will be okay.

I hope you get your results soon and I completely understand when you say you want the tests to show something. I also wish my EEG had shown the seizures back 3 1/2 years ago. I thought I had mental problems to with all the phantom odors and occasional visual or audio hallucination. If I had admitted all this to the doctors sooner I would have been diagnosed sooner.

Good luck and stick around.

Margie

Right, probably about time I posted some kind of update.

I'll try and be succinct as I am aware I have a tendency to waffle some. I had the results of my MRI and EEG a couple of weeks back now during a follow up with my neurologist. Both came back absolutely normal, the MRI 'remarkably' so apparently. At which point my neurologist, accompanied by a small troupe of medical students announced that he would like to refer me to a psychologist and theorised that I could potentially be in the midst of some kind of psychotic state.

That was until I raised the subject of the headaches which often accompany my symptoms - at which point he instantly changed his tune and diagnosed me with chronic migraine that very moment before openly admitting that he was clutching at straws. I like to consider myself an eloquent, intelligent and reasonably well grounded individual and I was really quite gobsmacked at what had just transpired. The professional I had placed my trust in would prefer to consider a psychological issue before a physiological with almost no base for his reasoning what so ever.

I was prescribed a small dose of topiramate (25mg per day) and did see some small improvement in my symptoms, if not remarkable. The beneficial effect would usually wear off around lunchtime and some days wouldn't kick in at all. However, I noticed side effects almost instantly and quite undesirable ones. Thank God I have ADHD in this instance because if I wasn't taking the methylphenidate I simply would not have a job right now. My cognitive skills significantly delcined, my moods swung drastically, I experienced difficulty in articulating thoughts (more so than usual), felt like crying a good 40% of the time and snapped at my wife over absolutely nothing. My memory was terribly affected too - Picking up a pan off a hot stove with your bare hands because you forgot the ring was on is quite an experience I can assure you...

I am quite sure that were I to stay on the topiramate further I would likely be unemployed, disfigured and divorced :/ The medication did give me enough relief to start noticing some patterns though. Sometimes my "events" are seem to be preceded by tiredness/yawning followed by brief disorientation and then for some reason my nose gets really irritated and stuffy but I've had allergy & sneezing problems for almost all my life so didn't really think much of it (my record sneezing fit is over 70 in a row). Other times I feel nausea, other times tremors and other times I get neck tightness and awful clicking/grinding. Most of the time I get eye floaters and if I'm very lucky I get all simultaniously :D

I know I'm going to have a *really* bad day if my jaw starts clicking and my right ear feels full. On days like that my face feels like it's going to explode and I get really bad sinus pressure - but apparently the MRI showed nothing relating to a sinus infection at all?!

It's hard for me to nail triggers really. Sunlight seems to be one them, as do fluorescent lights (supermarkets are mostly a no-go for me). Moving around a lot seems to set me off as does sitting and doing nothing whilst doing computer work it would appear (playing video games less so?). Skipping meals and eating certain foods or drinking certain drinks seem to contribute. The list goes on and the reality is it could be all of them or none of them. It's very difficult to logically work these things out when there are so many variables to take into account - the effect of some could potentially be delayed from the previous day, incorrectly flagging something else up a s a possible trigger... sigh...

Thankfully I have been allowed to work from home for some time. Having the curtains closed and being able to put on sunglasses to seems to help even if it does make me feel like a reclusive shut-in. But being away from fluorescent lights and being able to lay down in the dark for a bit make a big difference.

So to summise, I'm not really any further on now than when I started almost a year ago. I don't know if I have migraines or a seizure disorder, something else or a combination because my symptoms don't seem to match any one specific condition. The headaches are mostly daily, but some days are much worse than others. The dizziness & disorientation is frequent and daily but not necessarily for extended periods. Sometimes it comes and goes in periods (which I'm pretty sure doesn't match migraine) and then sometimes subsides somewhat in the evenings.

The only thing I am sure of is that I have absolutely no idea what to do next - at all. My follow up with a neurologist should be in about 3 months. The last one I saw would have retired by then so it will be a new person this time. I get an entire 10 minutes to try and explain everything from scratch to a new person all over again... yay! Not sure it it's worth seeing if I can get me GP to trial another migraine medication or perhaps an epilepsy one? I suspect this will be a no-go until my follow up neuro appointment in the summer

Back
Top Bottom