Acupuncture? Is it worthwhile? Need help:(

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Eminem

New
Reaction score
Hi all, I have an incredibly sweet and strong 6 year old that has been struggling with countless daily absence seizures since age 2.5. Despite one 6 month seizure free stint when we eliminated gluten initially, we have NOT experienced one day without a seizure, and days like today kill me. I could not keep track../ one just went into another and another. She is currently on Lamictal and Zarontin:.. I'm actually thinking the increased dose of Zarontin is making it worse. I'm thinking to try acupuncture and wonder if any of you have tried it? If so, please share anything! I would soooo appreciate it!

Hi, and welcome to CWE;
Just wondering how long your daughter has been on the two medications, and how long she has been on the increase in Zarontin. If it has been a number of weeks at least and you feel seizures are worse, her neurologist needs to know. He/she may change the medication levels back to where they were, or change to (an)other medication(s).
Does your daughter see an epileptologist, rather than just a general neurologist? An epileptologist specializes in epilepsy.
As for alternative treatments, I personally have not tried them but there are parents on the forum who may shed some light on what they have tried for their own children. One thing I have heard about is the ketogenic diet. Google "ketogenic diet for absence seizures". Here is an example of one link: http://www.hopkinschildrens.org/High-Fat-Diets-Effectively-Treat-Absence-Epilepsy.aspx I cannot make recommendations as I haven't tried it, but it may give you an option you would like to discuss with your child's doctor.

Thanks for your response:)

We have been on the dual meds since Fall 2014...but are still in the process of working on dosing as we have still had room to increase and her seizures have never stopped. I just think this last increase may be starting her back downhill again, so I will definitely call her doc. We do see a pediatric neurologist that has a specialty in Epilepsy...but interestingly, not sure if he is an 'epileptologist'...will definitely check. We had her tested for the glucose transferase(?) gene, which she tested negative for. Had that been positive they said the ketogenic diet would be a sure thing, but since she tested negative, we have not tried it. Thinking of trying the Modified Atkins though. Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom