Am I Epileptic?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Francino

New
Reaction score
I am in my 50s and have been having some trouble for about 10 years.
In the beginning, I would be walking along, and I thought I would spell something sweet, and I would get dizzy, but anyone that I was with did not smell anything. This would happen about twice a year.

about 3 or 4 years ago, I started getting them more often.

For the last 2 years, I get this about every 6 weeks.

Every 5 to 6 weeks, I get small seizures that last 1 - 2 minutes, one about every 4 hrs. The seizures last for 1 to 2 days. Usually start at night while i am sleeping. During the seizure, my right hand is tingling and feels strange, I cannot talk sometimes, there is always a taste in my mouth that resembles something I have eaten in the past (not the same all the time), I read quite a bit and I have tried to pronounce one of the words during the seizure, but cannot figure out how to pronounce a word simple like "maybe", sometimes I cannot talk. At the end of all the seizures, 1 or 2 days later, i have no taste for about a week. Is this a form of Epilepsy?

Thank you, I should have payed him a visit years ago; Guess I was hoping it would get better on it's own.
Thought someone else may be having similar problems.

sounds like

it to me. Those sound like partial seizures of some sort.......and a trip to a neurologist is definitely in order, along with an EEG (preferably at least 24 hours so they can see the whole day) and an MRI, too..

Keep us up to date with how things go, OK?

Take care,

Meetz
:rock:

Thank you, appreciate the help; looks like the neuro is the beginning.

My wife and I have been trying to evaluate emotions, problems, the moon, or even exercise 1 or 2 days prior to the episodes, but we cannot see anything that would be trigering the episodes; they just happen. I do know that if I am very nervous, the episodes are worse. I will let everyone know what the diagnosis is.

Francino,

I was diagnosed at the age of 53 myself. Mine sound similar to yours only the left side of my face tingles and feels numb and I can't speak although I am conscious and can hear what others are saying. I am now on medication and haven't had anymore episodes although I hate taking it. Please do keep us updated.

DO keep

a journal. It will help the doctor track things down. OK, it's a pain in the arse, but in the long run, worth it...

Things to write down:

Sleep patterns--how much, when.
Computer/video games/TV usage--how much and when.
What did you eat and drink? When? (Yeah, this part IS a pain, but for some, it truly IS a big deal)
IF you are a female--does this occur around the menses? Or the week of ovulation? If so, this could be called CATAMENIAL EPILEPSY.

Plenty of things to think about....if you don't think it's a big deal, write it down anyway.

I know one guy whose seizures are literally tied to when his food digests. Those are called REFLEX SEIZURES.

Feel free to ask questions......that's what we're here for, I promise. :)

Take care.

Meetz
:rock:

Kansas Educator - Glad to hear from someone having the same symptoms, and happier to hear you have found a temporary solution; I know what you were going thru; thank you for replying.

Meetz - This will be a big help. I will do exactly that. appreciate

bunnilovepickle - Thanks; will do.

Just want to thank everyone; you have given me hope.

*chuckle* I see Meetz beat me to the punch. :) Anyway, welcome to CWE. And yes, it sounds like seizure activity, but definitely go see a neurologist. Now, as for the journal, definitely keep one. It'll give your neuro and you more information. And, you may notice a pattern that you didn't think existed. Here's what I usually tell people to jot down:

1. Food and drink (when, what, how much)
2. Sleep (how many hours each night)
3. your period (if you're a female) (what day it starts, how long is your cycle)
4. odd feelings (smells/tastes/sounds/feelings/sights, migraines, etc.... when and how long they last)
5. seizures (when, how long it lasts, and what you were doing prior)
6. Any stress in your life and how you deal with it
7. any OTC meds or supplements you use

Now, here's some things you might want to change in the meantime....

1. Make sure that you eat 6 small healthy meals a day. (By small, it should fit on a dessert/salad plate, for every carb you need a protein, and avoid prepackaged or fast food. In other words, shop the edges of the grocery store.)
2. Make sure you get at least 7 hours of sleep each night. ( no ifs, ands, or buts)
3. Don't take OTC meds.
4. Quit all caffeine consumption. (no sodas, tea, coffee, mate, energy drinks, etc....)
5. develop a healthy way to relieve stress (exercise, walking, yoga, meditation, art, journaling, writing, painting, prayer, etc...)

Here's why.

Stress, Lack of sleep, low blood sugar, all can trigger seizures. So if there's any history of diabetes in your family at all, you really need to watch the blood sugar. Caffiene can also trigger seizures. As can MSG (which is in almost all fast food, and many prepackaged foods...) which explains the suggestion to shop the edges of the grocery store. Stress can mean not only emotional stress, but physical stress such as illness as well. So you may find that your more likely to have a seizure when you're sick. For example, colds and flus tend to make it easier for us to have seizures. Also, stay away from OTC meds if you can. Especially antihistamines or sinus medicine. They tend to have chemicals in them that act as stimulants. Some people are photosensitive. So for them repeating patterns, or flickering lights can trigger seizures. For those, I usually suggest replacing any corkscrew shaped energy efficient light bulbs with the old fashioned ones. The new ones can cause seizures. As can certain light effects in movies, tv shows, and computer sites.

For others, its a matter of the body no longer being able to tolerate specific foods such as dairy or gluten. Everyone has different triggers. If you can find a pattern, then hopefully you can avoid your triggers. Even if you can't, by keeping a journal like this, it will give your doc more info about your life as well as your seizures. And knowledge is power. My doc always encouraged me to quit smoking. So if you do, i'm encouraging you to quit too. If you don't, don't start. :) Also, limit how much you drink. If the doc puts you on meds, you may find that they tell you not to drink. That's because the alcohol can interract with the meds in a dangerous way.

I know...it seems like a lot of changes to make. But think of it this way.....it's not only for our own good....but it lets us have a longer and more productive life with our families and those we love. If your spouse doesn't go to your docs appt with you, they should. My hubby goes with me to all of my appointments. That way, if I forget something I wanted to ask, he reminds me. (That's another thing the journal is good for too....a place to jot down the questions and answers....)

Also, meds effect everyone differently. If you and your doctor decide to use meds as a treatment, remember that they only work for about 60-70% of the people who try them...and that it can take a while for them to kick in. It's not a magic bullet. And sometimes, it takes combinations of different meds. If the doc puts you on meds, many of them you have to work your way up to the therapeutic dosage...and that takes time. Side effects are usually lethargy. Occasionally, weight gain. Loss of memory is also fairly common. One side effect that docs don't usually talk about is lack of sex drive....so don't be surprised if it happens.

The thing to remember is that a diagnosis is not a death sentence. Feel free to ask questions, chime in, or just vent when you need to. We've all been through it. :) Your still the same person you were before you got diagnosed. So try to think of epilepsy as being like asthma or diabetes....a medical condition to be dealt with.

Last edited:
skillefer,
This is very detailed. I think the neurologist will be happy to see the detailed list.

I am an avid cyclist and some running, with eating habbits similar to your description, with the exception of the coffee. No soda, energy drink, or tea, but lots of coffee. Drinking some now. Caffine never crossed my mind; always looking at carbs and fats.
Thanks a bunch, will give it a try.

*chuckle* No problem. You said that this started about 10 years ago. Was there anything else that happened around that time? If you were female I'd ask if you had gone through menopause at that time, as hormone shifts can trigger seizures too....but you're male. And although males get hormone shifts too, ....hmmmm....did you go through a hormone shift around then? If so, make sure the doc knows. If it's due to a hormone shift, you might be able to treat it with hormone replacement therapy.

Interesting; Wife and I sat down last night to do some thinking. I have always enjoyed coffee 'Tasters Choice". Never was a Starbucks coffee drinker until about 5 years ago. Drank a Starbucks every morning, no exception. Then, 3 years ago, my wife started her employment with a coffee brokerage firm. Most of my coffee now is fresh ground Columbian, very strong. I even drink a cup before bedtime, but go right to sleep.

My condition gradually got worse the last 3 years.

It may be a coincidence, but worth a try to stop the caffine. I am scheduling an appointment with a neuro today, and stopping the coffee. My last episode was Monday, I should know something in 5 - 6 weeks.

appreciate all the help. Keep your fingers crossed.

Aloha and welcome to the forum. This has been a place of learning and acceptance for me and I hope it will be for you as well. I plead guilty to the coffee but only in the morning...unless I have a cup at our friend's house in the evening....I don't drink sodas ( does that count?) okay, maybe once a month. In all honesty, I do try to watch the caffeine mainly because it stirs the Restless Leg Syndrome I also have (lots of fun with that). For me lack of sleep and stress are my big triggers. If I am pushing too hard, my body pushes back with equal force....I trrrryy to be mindful and sometimes it doesn't matter what is happening, my body just takes a left turn at conscious:pop: Soft landings are a learned thing, upright is still best!:woot:

Aloha,

I am learning a little more every day. The forum is great. After speaking with others about my condition, the "Coffee" word keeps popping up; so I analyzed how much coffee I drink a day. Daily coffee consumption is about 8 cups a day, very strong, but it doesn't stop there, if not drinking coffee, I drink tea.

On Wednsday, I stopped drinking coffee at noon; thought I would have some type of a nervous reaction like stopping drugs, but I feel fine. I am compensating the coffee with cramberry juice. Seems to be working fine; I expected some type of withdrawal, but no. I exercise daily, so I think that keeps my mind active.

You didn't indicate if you exercise. For me, exercise releives the stress and helps me to sleep better. For me, cycling and jogging do the trick.

Take care

*chuckle* I used to drink 9 cups of coffee a day. My colleagues said, "You know, it'd be a lot easier if you just got it in an IV bottle and wheeled it around with you. " :) So I know what it's like to quit. I used to smoke too. I found that I really didn't suffer too many withdrawl symptoms when I quit both coffee and cigarettes. I think that that's because I basically stayed hydrated enough...I drink at least 1 liter of water a day.

Hi Francino,

I, too, have epilepsy (plus diabetes) and drink coffee in the mornings and once in a while have a Starbucks in the afternoon. Coffee doesn't seem to interfere with my seizures. When I started having seizures, I didn't drink coffee. I also find it vital for my health to exercise. Like you said, it relieves the stress. It gets the endorphins in the brain going so you feel better. And for me, exercise helps keep my glucose under control, less insulin for me.

Back
Top Bottom