Amazing Difference

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

:agree:

Some books if anyone is interested in getting started doing their own fermentation:

Wild Fermentation by Sandor Katz
Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon

There is also a great recipe section in Dr Perlmutter's new book, Brain Maker

Is is definitely cheaper to do your own. It is also probably better for you too. Most of the store bought jars of kimchee and kraut either contain thing you don't want to eat like MSG and/or they have been pasteurized which nukes all the good bugs they might have had.

If you do want to buy some fermented stuff online just to try it before you start in on the science experiments in the kitchen, there is a company called Wild Mountain Paleo that sells raw fermented veggies with no fake additives.

Last edited:
If you're not ready to make your own, I can recommend the Lifeway brand of kefir. It's pasteurized, but then cultured afterwards. It claims to have 12 active and live kefir cultures. I can't tell for sure of course, but it seems good for my gut, and I've been enjoying the "chocolate truffle" flavor, alone and in smoothies. :)

MM - just curious why you added K2, aka "spice" or "synthetic marijuana". Or are you meaning vitamin K2?

Given that she said this:

"K2 is found in Kale, Goose Liver Pate, Gouda cheese, Grass Fed butter. There's pills too. Personally I bought a chunk of gouda and slice off a piece and eat it every day."

I would take it to mean she meant the vitamin K2.

My sense of humor is fine. Thanks, masterjen.

I thought you might have missed the part about the kale and gouda too given that you seemed to have missed it in the OP where she said for everybody to get tested and continued on as if she were advocating dangerous mega supps for everyone.

Thought maybe you needed new reading glasses.
:) :) :)

My vision is fine and I have never needed glasses, reading or other wise. Thanks Aloha.

Glad you feel your sense of humor is intact ;)

Last edited:
MMRocks, sounds like you're on an excellent path. What kind of probiotics are you using?

And that seems like a very good call to add vitamin K2. Which type are you using? It seems the MK-4 type (menatetrenone) is the one most important for brain health, even responsible for health of the myelin sheath known reduced in epilepsy.

A healthy body can convert K1 to K2, so greens are still important, but the MK4 version is something to make a priority. There are just a few MK4 supplements out there on the shelves. Some are very low dose while others are very high, used to cure osteoporosis. A mid-range dose is 5 mg sold by Carlson, but even that may be too high to start with . . . as with anything, best to begin slowly and work up the dose. I just began testing the Carlson product with half-capsules as preventative.

if anyone is interested in getting started doing their own fermentation

If anyone is, I recommend the group Wild Fermentation on facebook, over 40,000 members swapping recipes and tips, great files section: https://www.facebook.com/groups/WlidFermentation/

MM - just curious why you added K2, aka "spice"

I only meant spice if you are a Frank Herbert fan. :D

Or are you meaning vitamin K2?
Yes I meant vitamin K2, aka menaquinone.

What kind of probiotics are you using?
I've got Nutrition Now PB8. 14 Billion good bacteria.

Nutrition panel says Microcrystalline cellulose, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Bifidobacterium lactis, Lactobacillus plantarum, inulin, magnesium stearate, silica, Lactobacillus salivarius, Bifidobacterium bifidum, Bifidobacterium longum, Lactobacillus rhamnosus, Lactobacillus casei, Capsule (gelatin, water).

Ideally, I'll have my own fermenter's kitchen going in a few months.

vitamin K2. Which type are you using?
Gouda cheese. I eat a little gouda cheese every day. I picked up some kale today also, planning on juicing that. Kale has k2 and is also high in magnesium, potassium, and calcium, ALL of which are needed in greater amounts when doing B12 supplementing. Of those, I have been low in potassium for days and I'm exhausted so I'm looking forward to the boost from the kale. Which I plan to juice alone to just have a small shot glass of it, knock it back and have a chaser of Orange Juice.

Bone Broth: heals your gut in amazing ways, patches all the holes, encourages growth of good bacteria, more.

Here's how I make mine: Grass fed beef bones, usually 4 in a package. I roast these for 45-60 minutes at 400 degrees Fahrenheit- when I smell it, I check, and if the bones are starting to ooze, I take them out. I put them directly into my slow cooker (Crock Pot) and add enough filtered water to cover, plus maybe a half inch more. I turn it on LOW. Here's the important bit: I add 2 tablespoons of Apple Cider Vinegar with the Mother, this draws out all the good healing stuff and really is the star of this recipe.

It's super important your ACV say "with the Mother" on the label, otherwise it is useless. If it is clear and doesn't say "mother" don't buy it. There is a small price difference: the clear stuff is typically $3 a bottle and the sediment 'mother' is $5 a bottle. Personally I buy Bragg's, but any brand that says 'mother' on the label and has sediment in the bottom is good- you can even make your own!

Okay so Crock Pot runs for 24 hours, then remove bones and throw away. Turn cooker off and pour broth off into a container to refrigerate. This will last one week in fridge.

To eat: remember this is a CONCENTRATE. Eat one or two tablespoons in a mug of hot water, kinda like you're making a broth. Drink at least one mug of broth a day. You can also add it into cooking if you're making a beef dish, just be gentle with it, the taste is stronger than you'd think. (I put 2 tablespoons in our beef stew and ruined it)

You can use any bones you like, not just beef: chicken, pork, fish, goat, etc. If using a smaller, thinner bone like fish or chicken, I would suggest lowering the temperature a bit and giving the roasting bones less time. You just want to roast long enough for the marrow to just begin to ooze.

The roasting and the ACV are 2 keys to the best broth.

Some people like to add vegetables for flavor, potassium, magnesium. Add what you like, then strain- you only save the broth. Add the veggies towards the end, you don't want them cooking 24 hours. If you use potatoes, don't add until the last 5 hours or so, or they will dissolve and you'll never get it strained out.

:agree:
Bone broth rocks.

That is how I got myself back from osteopenia to a heathy bone scan again.

Another great (and cheap!) broth starter is beef feet. If you can get past the ick factor, they have a lot of collagen and gelatin in them.

And you can leave the bones in cooking longer than 24 hours if you want. You can add more water and start it up again. It's amazing how much comes out of those bones.
You know you have really gotten all the good stuff out of them when you offer one to the dog and he sniffs and says, "Meh!"

And you can leave the bones in cooking longer than 24 hours if you want. You can add more water and start it up again. It's amazing how much comes out of those bones.

I didn't know that, thanks!

I have been reading people also getting good results from using Great Lakes Gelatin- so if you don't want to make bone broth, try the gelatin, it will do similar things.

I use organic chickens--I cook the chicken with meat on about an hour, take the meat off, return the bones, then add the ACV and very finely chopped up veggies and cook about 8 hours. I don't go the full 24 hours because you can get more lead with bone broths--I've decided for the middle ground. I strain it and freeze or use. This combination creates a very rich meat and bone broth that gels really well. I think I healed a seriously sad and pathetic digestive track with this and still eat soups I make with it every week!

\I have been reading people also getting good results from using Great Lakes Gelatin- so if you don't want to make bone broth, try the gelatin, it will do similar things.
Yes, the cool thing about Great Lakes gelatin is that it is from 100% grass fed cows. Most supermarket gelatin is from industrially raised pigs fed who knows what.

I use organic chickens--I cook the chicken with meat on about an hour, take the meat off, return the bones, then add the ACV and very finely chopped up veggies and cook about 8 hours. I don't go the full 24 hours because you can get more lead with bone broths--I've decided for the middle ground. I strain it and freeze or use. This combination creates a very rich meat and bone broth that gels really well. I think I healed a seriously sad and pathetic digestive track with this and still eat soups I make with it every week!
Sounds yummy. As long as you start with free range chickens, I don't think the lead concentration should be a problem.

According to my BFF, who is also a Jewish great grandma, the best chicken broth is made with the feet too. They sell bags of feet really cheaply at asian markets. She used to bring me cauldrons of that stuff when I was on chemo. It was the only thing that would stay down. Jewish penicillin indeed.

Gouda cheese. I eat a little gouda cheese every day. I picked up some kale today also, planning on juicing that. Kale has k2 and is also high in magnesium, potassium, and calcium, ALL of which are needed in greater amounts when doing B12 supplementing.
I'm particularly fond of smoked gouda -- it makes a nice salad when combined with baby kale and nectarines, plus a light vinaigrette. :)

Yum. Love gouda. I keep trying to find someone who will ship goat milk gouda to Hawaii.

'Nother good thing about adding gelatin to your diet on a regular basis. It makes your fingernails grow strong and healthy.

Back
Top Bottom