Can certain smells affect your threshold with epilepsy?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Hi K2,

Yeah, I went thru the same thing, thinking sinus infection, going to family doc then ENT & the CT sinus scan. I never knew it was related to epilepsy until a few months ago. Sure it nice having a web site like this to learn about these things.

I guess you know that this "aura" is actually a seizure? It is a sensory SPS. There are 4 subgroups to SPS & you probably know that too. I have all 4 subgroups, CPS, myoclonic, tonic & atonic (drop) seizures. And each AED works on a specific type of seizure. My luck? I'm allergic to almost all of them, so my seizures go unchecked. But I'm off to see an epileptologist next month & maybe he can do more than my neuro can.

Yep, I chew a lot of gum and eat peppermints to help with the bad tastes and thick sticky feeling. Sometimes I also get this feeling in my mouth like I gargled with peroxide, kind of of tingling, bubbly feeling.
I spent a year with Big Red gum or cinnamon Altoids in my pocket they were the only thing that over powered the bad taste.

Back
Top Bottom