Can Types of Auras Determine Location of a Seizure Focus?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

What is the difference between those who consistently have the same aura verses those who have many different auras?
There are multiple factors at work here -- and yes, it's not that well understood. It could be as simple as the difference between having just one seizure focus vs. having several. In the course of a seizure, multiple seizure zones may be activated at once, and one sign or symptom may obscure others. In another scenario, certain symptoms might be produced by activation of a very highly-defined area. But it's also possible for those same symptoms to be produced by seizures that arise from different areas of the brain. Another possibility is that the point of origin may be a fast-moving pathway that connects to another part of the brain; in this situation, the speed of the spreading (the number of open gates, and how primed they are) and the direction of the path might determine the particular aura produced at any given time. As the realtors say, location, location, location...

Another big factor is the primary trigger -- lesions, swelling, vascular issues, genetic -- and whether it reflects a condition that is changing over time. Even if the primary condition isn't considered progressive, the brain still changes unpredictably as we age, as well as in response to changing secondary triggers in our metabolism and environment. This can also produce a wide variety of aura patterns.

So... aura patterns are different, because individuals are different. Taxi drivers show greater activity and development in the parts of the brain related to spatial orientation. Teenage boys have less-well developed frontal lobes than girls of the same age. Our neural networks develop in roughly similar ways, but also completely idiosyncratically.

Hi maryltyme --

The med process is often trial-and-error, but the payoff can be in better seizure control. That's a worthwhile goal.

I'm going to really really try this next 4 days. I dont have to go anywhere and my husband will be home atleast 2 of the 4 days. I do know I am getting worse, 2 times a day. The sleepyness in the mid afternoon, feels like i am drugged, i literally shut down. I can't do anything, but put my head down and wait for it to pass (20 mins or so) and sometimes again in the evening, bam out of the blue. Could this be the postical state? Or the actual aura/simple partial seizure? I was with my sister=in-law one evening and she asked me if I was alright because she said I looked like Jack Nicholson from the shinning, my eyes were fixed and it looked like I was about to start drooling. I responded to her, I told her I was suddenly very very sleepy. I would like to be able to destinguish them. I would like to know whats going on more with me.

I will patiently await your response. thank you!

yes, what you describe sounds like potential seizure activity. The fixed stare/drooling is similar to what happens in an absence seizure, or the onset of a complex partial. The fatigue may also be related to the quality of your nocturnal sleep. If you are having any seizure activity at night, that could in turn make you more vulnerable during the day.

There could also be contributing factors -- have you been checked out by your regular doctor for thyroid or blood sugar issues?

There could also be contributing factors -- have you been checked out by your regular doctor for thyroid or blood sugar issues?

Sugar yes, thyroid no, at least I don't think so. I will ask her when I see her, I will also mention to neuro dr, perhaps he can request lab work without making me wait to see prim dr in February.

They're getting worse and I am praying for strength to take the keppra or lamictal, I have them both. But guys, Im so affraid and I can't bring myself to take either. I did take a keppra once, I felt great! I mean, I felt like my REAL self! Then I bottomed out 5 hours later, slept for 16 hours and havent taken it since. I was given 500 mg, I thought about just trying half since the tablet is scored for cutting?

They didn't slowly increase from a low dose? They just put you on 500 mgs right off? It's been so long since I was first put on meds, but with all the switches I've done, they always start me on something way low, like 50 or 100 mgs and slowly work my way up to a therapeutic dose. It's less shocking on the system that way.

I wasn't able to take Keppra because it made me kinda bi-polarish (BP runs in my family, so I don't know if that had anything to do with it--I am ordinarily very neutral emotionally, so it was quite a shock). But is it one you could take twice a day instead, and that way split the dose and maybe feel fewer side effects? Or take it before bed so that you sleep through the side effects? I have a sensitive stomach, so I have one prescription that I divide into two doses instead of one, because it upsets my stomach to take two pills at once.

Also, the way my body metabolizes the meds, I have never had success with just a once-a-day dose. I usually have to do every 12 or 8 hours, even with meds that are meant as a once-per-day.

But anyway, I was thinking dividing the dose might make the side effects more diminished.

Last edited:
thank you so very much for encouragement. I probably should have kept taking it inspite. Fear beats the crap out of me! I will post if i do in fact start taking it again. I put a call into neuro dr about cutting in half, waiting for a call back.

what is "temporal love symptoms? I never heard of that one.

Just to clarify I meant "temporal lobe" stupid auto correct!:paperbag:. I wish I had love auras they sound quite pleasant :)

They didn't slowly increase from a low dose? They just put you on 500 mgs right off?

I wasn't able to take Keppra because it made me kinda bi-polarish (BP runs in my family, so I don't know if that had anything to do with it--I am ordinarily very neutral emotionally, so it was quite a shock).

I was thinking dividing the dose might make the side effects more diminished.

Yep, I have a quack for a quack. I get the distinc feeling he doesnt like me, but Im too tired to give a d---n. So I tolerate it. Im sorry, lack of support makes me edgy. they act like im putting on an act or something. Like I sit all day and think of crazy stuff to happen to me. I've read enough on my own and since being a memeber of CWE have had the support and expertise of its memebers (you, etc...) to know something is wrong.

I have a double whammy, I didnt think about it that way, but I have family memebers (close) that have beed diagnosed as bi-polar and other mental health issues as well. Perhaps the annie sparked the bi-polar up in me?

I thought, it cant hurt at this point. Im ready to throw in the towel. I called psyc dr, no response, called neuro dr, no response.... I got a 6 month supply of keppra (levetricatem - spelling?). I want to rest, I want to live out each day with out the added stress of "episodes". keeping my job, taking care of pets, house, cars, husband, grandchildren is enough! I want to do all these things with love, not regret or fear.

Im going to do it. Im going to take the first half Wednesday eve when I get off work! well at about 9pm.

maryltyme I wish you the best of luck! Keppra was great at controlling my seizures and it gave me a good nights sleep (something I havent had for a while now) but I had to come off for other reasons.

New meds are very scary most people don't understand. Let us know how it goes! Your doc does sound a bit crazy! 500mg straight off is a bit nuts! No wonder you didnt manage, but remember despite the fancy degree they don't know everything, and I have built up slower than recommended on my own as I felt they were rushing things, so remember at the end of the day you control your meds, dont let anyone tell you otherwise :)

Maryltyme, that sounds so frustrating! I had a neurologist once who had a very stubborn, narrow view for how to treat my seizures. When I resisted/disagreed with the choice (man, it was so long ago, I don't even remember what the disagreement was), he pretty much gave up on my and became very lazy about finding alternative options. Every time I saw him he would get really eye-rolly and sigh a lot, and basically kept pushing the same thing over and over. It was so frustrating. It was definitely worth it to find someone else who was more flexible and willing to explore other options.

You come through again Nak!! :woot: When do you plan on publishing a research paper!

Another possibility is that the point of origin may be a fast-moving pathway that connects to another part of the brain.

Strangely I never considered pathway use and its relation to a focus. Very interesting! If located on a busy pathway, it could spread to many different areas verses some backwater location that has only a few paths out.

In regards to TLE, I'm curious if genetic epilepsy tends toward one scenario (multiple focus and a generally excitable brain) while non genetic would lean towards another (singler focus from scaring). I would think those with genetic epilepsy be more prone to multiple auras? :ponder:

Maryityme, I'm praying that you will get a Dr. that will take proper care of you.

It's hard enough having E. then we have these Dr.

In regards to temporal lobe epilepsy, I'm curious if genetic epilepsy tends toward one scenario (multiple focus and a generally excitable brain) while non genetic would lean towards another (singler focus from scaring). I would think those with genetic epilepsy be more prone to multiple auras?
Well, there's more than one kind of genetic epilepsy, including ones that do involve lesions or scars. The genetic varieties take all sorts of forms (see http://professionals.epilepsy.com/page/table_metgen_genetic.html) and no doubt additional syndromes will be categorized as the genetics of epilepsy become better understood.

Regarding temporal lobe epilepsy, I agree, you would think genetic varieties would tend to have multiple foci and a greater variety of auras. However a small study (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12887440) found that patients with familial mesial temporal lobe epilepsy had good surgical outcomes due to well-localized seizure foci. Go figure...

if you look under all the differnt sections in the limbic system, you will see how closely the different parts are connected: your hippocampus, amygdala, olfactory area and if the electricity goes wrong, maybe lightning just zaps who knows where, but close enough to the same area each time.

http://www.columbia.edu/itc/hs/medical/neuroanatomy/neuroanat/

I had fun coloring the Human Brain Coloring Book a few years ago.

i probably should have started a new post, but since it started here...well anyway, i got really sick tuesday and am just now starting to feel better today. so i didnt get a chance to start my 250 keppra. i had the stomach flu, i still have it so to speak. im scheduled to see neuro dr in 2 weeks, will discuss with him trying the keppra at 250. I took this let down as a sign from God to talk to dr before making medical decisions on my own. better luck next time,,,huh, i guess.

I found this topic helpful and educational. I will also mention blood sugar and thyroid as sugested by Nak!

You guys are great, hope everyone had a better Turkey day than I. I was thankful for gatoraid and chicken broth just the same!

I'm so sorry you had the flu on Thanksgiving! =( What a bummer! =(

not a total bummer, i lost 9LBS!!!!!!!! my daughter cooked a big meal, so she brought me a plate over. Sick or not, 2morrow its on!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom