Can't take medicines for cold and flu???

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Bindi

New
Reaction score
Is this true. My doctor said I can't take anything for my cold/flu virus (which is pretty darn horrible right now) or it will conflict with seizure meds.
Really?! Is this right?

Last edited:
So no one takes anything? What does everyone do? Drink orange juice and hope it doesn't turn into bronchitis or worse?

Generally over the counter cold medications only make a person feel better; they cannot treat a cold in the sense of changing the course a cold might otherwise take. Colds are viruses and while there are a few prescription anti-viral medications out there, doctors seldom recommend them and typically they are only for those with depressed immune systems where a cold can be a significant detriment to one's overall health in the long term (think cancer patients as one group ).

Two exceptions to the above generalizations are Tylenol which can reduce fever, and medications that make you cough up phlegm. I have been told that a syrup medication that ONLY contains the ingredient that makes you cough up phlegm does not interfere with seizure medications, but do check with your pharmacist about that.

If you are considered to have a bacterial infection that is contributing to your cold symptoms, such as a chest infection, that is a different matter and antibiotics are generally given.

I take Oil of Oregano and cold-EZE to help when I get sick. I can't much of anything else.

I was never told not to take cold medicines with my medicine. Never had a problem, but I rarely take any other meds.

About 7 years ago I had a cold so went to the chemist to get some cough mixture. They asked me if I was on any meds so I told them I was AEDs.
They did a check on their computer then advised it was better not take cough mixture with the meds I was on, they suggested I try a day & night cold & flu tablet. The tablets weren't that cheap but they didn't do much to help with my cols lol.

Now when I have a cold I get cough medicine from the chemist, I go to this chemist all the time so they are aware of my epilepsy & the meds I'm on. I only get 1 particular type of cough mixture which tastes gross but it works really well & I've never had any problems with it affecting my epilepsy.

Have you spoken to your pharmacist to find out if there is anything you could take that won't react with your meds?

Chicken soup! It really does help. I've found that nasal saline rinses can help too.

What medication are you on? My daughter takes Keppra, and I specifically asked about cold and flu medication and her neurologist said there were no issues. But he did indicate that wasn't the case with all AEDs.

Benadryl and Sudafed are the main cold/allergy medicines that interact with many anti-seizure meds and/or potentially trigger seizures. Ibuprofen, acetaminophen and Robitussin DM are considered safe. But everyone has different thresholds and sensitivities, so it doesn't hurt to check with your neurologist or pharmacist first, and proceed with caution until you know how you are affected.

I was having the same problem as I have bad sinus problems that always have to get prescribed nasal spray and antibiotics, but last time I went to my General Practitioner, she told me to only get over the counter "Corisidan HBP" when I have the flu or cold and only take one pill at a time. These are for people especially with high blood pressure, we with Epilepsy have the same issues when it comes to colds and flu, something to do with the way our blood vessels become constricted or something. But I took it for a week and felt fine. Thankfully I don't have that cold any more. But I have to add this much, that prescribed nasal spray was a huge life saver for me, as most of the time I get those sinus infections, it almost always will lead to a cold or flu. Time for my annual Flu shot now that I'm doing better.
I wish you all my best, and stay healthy!
Terri

I was told I can't take anything that has whatever that chemical is to put you to sleep. So night time is out of the question. I've avoided any cold medications just incase something would happen.

I too was never told by any type of Dr. or Neur.

it was when I took something, thinking nothing of it, then wammmm seizure. it seems we all have to pieces together.

That is why this forum has been such a blessing to me.
things such as this has been the experience of others with E. It helps to know you are not going crazy.

I know it must be hard for Neur, when we all react diff. to diff. triggers and over the counter meds.
I have had my Neur? tell no this or that could NOT cause a seizure, when in fact for me it did.

Back
Top Bottom