Celiac Sprue - Gluten Intolerance and Epilepsy

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Damage?

Hi I’m new to this forum, and this thread is very interesting to me. I have been suffering from seizures since I was 12 years old (I am 25 now) and I am very lucky to have had fairly good success controlling them through drugs. However; my cousin, who suffers from gluten intolerance, mentioned that a link had been noted between epilepsy and gluten allergies and perhaps I have a gluten allergy. My grandmother suffered from gluten intolerance, and so do other members of my family.

This is all news to me, and so I am very curious about this subject. After reading this thread, I got the distinct impression that the damage done to the brain by untreated gluten allergies is permanent. Is this true? No lesions have been noted on the many scans I have had (although I realize that does not mean that damage is not there), and the doctors are of the opinion that it is a hereditary problem. They can’t seem to find any physical reason for the seizures to be happening.

All in all, this news gives me some hope, but I would really like to know if the long term exposure causes permanent damage or if it is possible to recover.

Hi ShannonH, welcome!

There are still a lot of unknowns regarding the long-term effects of gluten allergies on the brain. Some of the brain changes can only be confirmed post-mortem. But many of the symptoms tied to celiac disease and gluten intolerance do resolve or improve once a gluten-free diet has been adopted. The info below comes from this link: http://www.drkaslow.com/html/gluten-brain_connection_.html

From an informal survey of about 20 people with gluten related sensitivity, >90% reported improvement from a gluten-free diet. All spoke of delayed learning prior to a gluten free diet either in themselves or their children. Some of the physiological, cognitive, and emotional symptoms they reported with dietary avoidance of gluten included:
Improved ability to learn
Improved interest in school
Improved concentration
No more meds for depression problems
No more avoidance of meeting people
Expected full recovery of ataxia problems (inability to coordinate muscle movements)
Improved gross motor skills (was delayed in some cases)
Improved physical growth (was smaller than expected)
Went from bottom of class to the top of his class after 3 months on diet
Found a "hunger" for learning after avoiding gluten
Improved mood with less “crossness” and “crankiness”
Improved development to catch up with peers
Improved intellect with definite increases in intelligence
Grade point average went from 2.5 to 3.9
Many have acquired college degrees with high gpa after going gluten-free
Came alive academically
Improved ability to meet daily challenges
Improved speed of learning ("quicker" in her studies)
Absenteeism no longer a problem
Lots of stories about coming out of withdrawn state socially to an outgoing one -- running for student council, more motivated in doing well and meeting people
Increased well-being and better brain chemistry
No more "brain fog"
Improved in reading (“noticeable”)
Improved temperaments in children

Back
Top Bottom