Dietary changes and seizure control

How much coconut oil do you take every day?

• Total voters

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Karen, sorry to read about this . . . maybe putting him back on the high dose zinc he was on a couple years ago would be helpful, good for ears and gut. I think you said he was on 100 mg. daily. Maybe vitamin C in therapeutic doses of sodium ascorbate, too. Prayers for you and Jon.

Last edited:
Karen,

Sorry this happened to Jon. Good thing you had your wits about you! I hope Jon heals up quickly!

Karen I hope your boy recovers from the ear stuff soon, not a pleasant experience to go through.

Zoe
I see a Dr by the name of Igor Tabrizian.
He has written 7 books that's involves Nutritional Medicine, he regularly lectures to lay groups, and health practitioners and trains Drs in Nutritional Medicine and researches the biochemistry.
One that really interests me for my situation is
"Brain Foods, Brain Poisons: Autism as a Case In Point" and he is a big believer in doing Hair analysis to sample the body's toxins and nutrient state.

The patterns of low and high nutrient levels and the presence of toxic metals which as be seen via methods of hair analysis, urine testing, and faecal testing can help a customised nutritional regime for those with Autism. Dr TAbriazian is aware my girl has Epilepsy so we are looking into Taurine very very seriously.

Last edited:
@Karen
I hope Jon is feeling better. Reading your post makes my ears ache. I had no end of ear infections when I was a kid.

With me they called it "swimmer's ear" since I was either at the beach or in a pool all the time.

The good thing now is that you know about the probiotics to help his digestive system recover from the antibiotics.

Although I had pretty avant guard parents. They were eating yoghurt back when you had to go to a specialty health food store to find it. I think they just generally knew it was good for you, I not sure if they knew why.

I just had a course of antibiotics for my neck infection, and it did mess with my digestion. I dialed up the probiotics during that time, and I know it helped. I could hardly wait to end the antibiotics. (They did not work for me.) I suspect a chronic virus.

When my neck infection flares up, it does affect my right ear. My ENT suggested a homemade concoction of rubbing alcohol and white distilled vinegar years ago. (I have forgotten the proper proportions.) It does help my ear. This particular concoction is for swimmer's ear, something I did not have as a kid that I know of. If nothing else, it helps to clean the ear. I also use hydrogen peroxide to help sterilize my ears on occasion. I wear earplugs almost all of the time, as I am very sensitive to noise, so this is beneficial for me.

Karen, sorry to read about this . . . maybe putting him back on the high dose zinc he was on a couple years ago would be helpful, good for ears and gut. I think you said he was on 100 mg. daily. Maybe vitamin C in therapeutic doses of sodium ascorbate, too. Prayers for you and Jon.

We had to stop giving the high dose of zinc daily because his zinc levels were getting too high. If this happens, it can deplete copper stores in the body, which can lead to neurological symptoms. However, when he's starting to get sick, I'll give him extra zinc. He already gets a high dose of vitamin C every day. This is the first time he's had a fever in several years.

I just had a course of antibiotics for my neck infection, and it did mess with my digestion. I dialed up the probiotics during that time, and I know it helped. I could hardly wait to end the antibiotics. (They did not work for me.) I suspect a chronic virus.

When my neck infection flares up, it does affect my right ear. My ENT suggested a homemade concoction of rubbing alcohol and white distilled vinegar years ago. (I have forgotten the proper proportions.) It does help my ear. This particular concoction is for swimmer's ear, something I did not have as a kid that I know of. If nothing else, it helps to clean the ear. I also use hydrogen peroxide to help sterilize my ears on occasion. I wear earplugs almost all of the time, as I am very sensitive to noise, so this is beneficial for me.

I think it's half alcohol, half vinegar. When I was a lifeguard, years ago, we used to keep a dropper bottle of it down at the lake, and put it in the kids ears as they came out of the lake. The alcohol dries the ear canal, and the vinegar kills bacteria and stuff.

Zoe
I see a Dr by the name of Igor Tabrizian.
He has written 7 books that's involves Nutritional Medicine, he regularly lectures to lay groups, and health practitioners and trains Drs in Nutritional Medicine and researches the biochemistry.
One that really interests me for my situation is
"Brain Foods, Brain Poisons: Autism as a Case In Point" and he is a big believer in doing Hair analysis to sample the body's toxins and nutrient state.

The patterns of low and high nutrient levels and the presence of toxic metals which as be seen via methods of hair analysis, urine testing, and faecal testing can help a customised nutritional regime for those with Autism. Dr TAbriazian is aware my girl has Epilepsy so we are looking into Taurine very very seriously.
Hi Angel,

I want to learn more about this doctor and his books--am looking him up online. Please post more about your experences with him-how he looks at seizure disorders, treatment, etc. Most of what ails us we can improve and heal with diet and nutrition. Unfortunately, in the USA, nutritional approaches to treating medical disorders is still often ignored or negated. This is slowly changing, but oh, so slowly!

PS, I am reading about Dr. Tabrizian and his daughter now Orthomolecular medicine is now virtually unheard of here now. How is he helping you?

Last edited:
DOM
(Diagnostic Orthomolecular Medicine) simplifies the generation of symptoms into two categories. Either the nutrient isn't there or it is ineffective.
What Orthomolecular Medicine believes is that the " out of range " nutrients generate symptoms.
How is he helping my situation?
I have a 12 yr old girl with Autism with moderate to severe intellectual disability, she babbled but stopped being verbal by the time she was approx 18 months. She had her first seizure in August 2009 at the age of 6 yrs. The challenge I have is she is non verbal and can't tell me exactly how she feels... Frustrating for everyone.
A child with an intellectual disability can still learn, but needs more time and practice than other kids. I vow never to give up on her.
Autism rates have risen dramatically in the industrialised countries in this planet, despite the large number of research in the metabolic aspects of Autism led by Carl Pfeiffer and Abram Hoffer, mainstream medicine is still largely unaware of available investigations and treatment protocols for Autism and other commen conditions.

Dr Tabrizian depicts that Autism interrupts 3 interactive cogs of the :
1. Brain
2. Digestion
3. Immunity
These interactions are not only unique to Autism, but they have been better defined in this condition.
The second observation is that the severity of Autism symptoms reduces substantially when wheat and dairy is excluded from the diet. This suggests that people with Autism are " reacting" to something in these foods.
Dr Tabrizian has developed a method of analysis and treatment called DOM. This method works by interconnecting the information from disparate scientific disciplines and explains the mechanisms that drive biochemistry from normal to abnormal.
The DOM approach is aiming to analyse what process is " pushing" these things out of range.
Tissue Mineral Analysis ( hair analysis) is undertaken once a year to gather information on the nutrient and toxin levels in the body. The aim is to push nutrients back into range and reduce toxic insults from the environment.

Last edited:
Dr Tabrizian advocates the use of Taurine for the Epilepsy stuff.
He lectures on Degeneration of the Brain: Nutritional Interventions for eg.
A greater understanding in that low levels of activated vitamin B 12 can cause a rise in brain Homocysteine ..oral chelation therapies in Nutritional Medicine.
My Daughter is on a nutriitional prescription that gets reviewed twice annually.

Consequently, I'm a believer in trying to achieve results with fewer tablets, than our contempories do :) Nutritional medicine aims to investigate and correct mineral imbalance and remove the unwanted toxic metals.
She is currently on very minimal doses of Trileptal.. Much to the dismay of her neurologist.. But why dose more if there's less seizures?

I've seen Dr Tabrizian since 2007.
The goals in treatment?
1. Fix the digestive tract from colon to mouth.
2. Improve liver function
3. Improve antioxidant levels generally and finally..

4. Remove toxins from the body.
This method only corrects the biochemistry
Patience and persistence, a lot of trial and error, doing the daily elixir of putting together the nutrients and detox stuff from the nutritional prescription.. I feel like a chemist....mixing this and that...
There's no magic pill.

Dr Tabrizian has developed a method of analysis and treatment called DOM. This method works by interconnecting the information from disparate scientific disciplines and explains the mechanisms that drive biochemistry from normal to abnormal.

I have always appreciated doctors more whose interests are interdisciplinary. It is the weaving of maladies that make them so hard to decipher and understand. The body is simply far too complex and patterns are still yet largely unrecognized.

Michael
Dr Tabrizian provided me with some understanding of the importance of nutigional strategies for Autism.
However, I can't look at the Autism only I've also got the epilepsy to try to figure it's puzzle pieces out too.

Ordinarily, our bodies work transparently to us, just like using a car. We turn the key and the motor starts. We all take note when something goes wrong. Bodies are the same. Symptoms are cells crying out for help.
We all need to take note of what our body is saying via symptoms.

Dr Tabrizian has lateral thinking I need that to help my girl, he is a National leader in Nutirional Medicine courses.
I will reiterate that it's not just the scientific Nutrional support, but a combination of patience and persistence to work out the Autism and Epilepsy jigsaw pieces.
We are all trying to figure out something.

Blonde Angel,

I started to read a book about autism. The author had Aspergers. It was not technical enough for me, so I pursued other avenues of thought. I have been somewhat interested in Tourette's. I am convinced that so many of these types of conditions are quite related. An indirect route to solving a problem has considerable benefits. It helps the various pieces of the puzzle to fit.

I am presently reading another brain book which is helping to pinpoint areas of brain dysfunction, like the facial recognition problems which I have which can be traced to a part of the brain called the fusiform gyrus. I am trying to address problems arising from frontal lobe deterioration characteristic of my kind of muscular dystrophy. I have made some progress in dealing with other aspects of my muscular dystrophy. The brain and the stomach seem to be the hardest to figure out.

I liked your reference to lateral thinking. I hope I can remember that.

Last edited:
Blonde Angel,

I started to read a book about autism. The author had Aspergers. It was not technical enough for me, so I pursued other avenues of thought. I have been somewhat interested in Tourette's. I am convinced that so many of these types of conditions are quite related. An indirect route to solving a problem has considerable benefits. It helps the various pieces of the puzzle to fit.

I am presently reading another brain book which is helping to pinpoint areas of brain dysfunction, like the facial recognition problems which I have which can be traced to a part of the brain called the fissure gyrus (spelling?). I am trying to address problems arising from frontal lobe deterioration characteristic of my kind of muscular dystrophy. I have made some progress in dealing with other aspects of my muscular dystrophy. The brain and the stomach seem to be the hardest to figure out.

I liked your reference to lateral thinking. I hope I can remember that.

Michael,

What type of muscular dystophy do you have? Whar have you been able to do with your diet to manage it? Can I offer you encouragement and share information with you on some of what you write about above?

I do not have muscular dystrophy. During my first brain surgery, the right frontal lobe was separated in order for the surgeons to reach the deformed and hemorrhaging arteries in my right hemisphere. In the second brain surgery, what remained of my right temporal lobe, the amygdala, hippocampus and a section of the prefrontal lobe were removed--a failed attempt to stop my seizures.

After my first brain surgery, I had almost no memory of my adult life from about 18-31 (my age at the time). I had no ability to orient in time or place and had almost no ability to recognize people. Every day I had to learn who I was, where I was, and when I was, over and over again.

Even though I have not grown a new temporal lobe, I recovered a lot of these lost skills, as if the left hemisphere were somehow figuring out how to do those tasks once done by the right hemisphere.

I had several major strokes and many many mini strokes from my disorder. I find the brain is always intuitively recognizing damage and reflexively working to heal, its a natural process.

After having a major stroke during the first brain surgery, my left side was paralyzed. I began using my right hand to open and move the thumb on my paralyzed left hand. I could not talk or think clearly then. I unerstood that my brain could no longer will my fingers, or my left side to move. I had the idea that if I kept moving my thumb, hours and hours a day, eventually the brain might recognize it was there and learn to move it again. After about six months I got the thumb to move. Eventually I overcame the paralysis.

I hope you are not assuming that if some skill is lost due to a deterioration of a specific area of your brain that it is a permanent loss. It is now well known that the brain is very able to recover from damage, lots of it.

Your message struck a nerve with me, reminding me of some very difficult times when my doctors were telling me I was hopelesly, permanently paralyzed and likely would not live for more than a few more months. That was in 1982. I hope this encourages you to trust your own intuition in how to find the treatments that will help you and to keep your hope.

Michael
Dr Tabrizian provided me with some understanding of the importance of nutigional strategies for Autism.
However, I can't look at the Autism only I've also got the epilepsy to try to figure it's puzzle pieces out too.

Angel,
The nutritional issues leading to the symptoms labeled autism may the the same ones that trigger seizures.

Yes Zoe
I'm not disputing your statement... I've though about that many times and I'm not one to believe in coincidence..

What is the exact relationship between Autism and Epilepsy?.. How is their mechanisms elucidated?
Is science missing something still with the interactive aspects of 1. brain, 2. nutrition and digestion. 3. Immune system.???
Mainstream medicine is still missing pieces of the jigsaw.
You have personally noticed that avoiding wheat and dairy ( I think you avoid wheat ? .. Correct me if I Am wrong) you haven't had dramas with seizures... Well I've noticed reductions in Autistic symptoms & reduction but no elimination of the seizures for my girl.

Something that's interesting is the role of zinc.
Imagine a stomach without zinc. No zinc no acid. No zinc , no mucous layer. We have the ironic situation that we need acid to digest food, but if we have too much acidity we don't feel well. Giving drugs to suppress stomach acid only hides the problem... And someone makes a lot of $$.
The anti microbial properties of zinc make it a " bowel bug policeman". What happens to the gut when zinc is low? We'd get inflammation and ulcers..
Guess what abnormalities is seen when Autism patients are endoscoped!

Just a mental illness ?
Hmmm there's more to it Zoe..
I'm no scientist, chemist or nutrionist, but I'm questioning medications and I want to try to understand those drug interactions and pay more attention to those side effects.
I've got a girl that needs me to do this.
I'm her advocate.

I admire how you've advocated yourself Zoe and it shows you are tough.
Battle on and never ever be afraid to ask any question.
I hope there's some answers in my life time, but if not there should be better things in the future .
I don't think Autism is just a mental illness... As advocated by the Paediatricians & Pschyes The immunology & gastroenterology aspects just can't be ignored.

Damn. Jon's infection progressed to secondary encephalitis, and he had a terrible seizure on Thursday. Cardiac involvement -- arrhythmia for about an hour after. Paralysis of left leg for about 14 hours.

There goes the 2 1/2 year seizure free streak.

Back
Top Bottom