Disturbing test...

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

its when a paramedic or doctor rubs their knuckles hard on the sternum. Its to check for responsiveness, because it causes alot of pain. My paramedic actually essentially punched me in the sternum a few times.

Test it on yourself. rub your knuckles up and down on your sternum as hard as you can. it hurts...

Uuuhhhhhh.... No thanks. :eek:
I've taken shots to the sternum before during martial arts practice. I'll pass on that one...

That's a brutal test for responsiveness.... :eek:

also, never wish for a sternum rub... they broke mine[/QUOTE]

Rae! Oh my goodness! They broke your sternum??????
That is incredibly terrible!
How is that repaired? Did they own up to it? Were they held accountable?
That must have so very very painful.
I'm sorry that happened to you.

Wow. I'm enraged on your behalf.

Wow the things they do to people is just ....... I'm sorry that happened.
I just love it when the doctor say , the only reason the seizure meds are helping you is because you are telling yourself they do.

Well it was a hair line fracture, that takes 2 months of rest to repair itself. So that means I cant sleep on my chest, hug too hard, cough too hard, sneeze too hard etc. So I tried my hardest not to no any of that and yet seizures kept it from healing for a LONG time!

LJ: I am so sorry. I guess I personally feel that you were violate to a degree. That just seems like a way, way out of line way to get a reaction from you. I would want an explanation for that type of behavior. There must be a protocol for nurses to follow as directed by neurologists to test for psychogenic activity. This personally disturbs me that this happened to you and may be happening to others too.

Oh Rae, my gosh so sorry about the fracture.

(((Hugs)))

Mary

Thanks Mary K. It is a strange test. It didn't get a reaction from me but you're right. What if they did that to a sensitive, body conscious girl who was having psychogenic seizures from previous abuse? It certainly doesn't instill a lot of trust.
There are other tests I've read about that I haven't experienced that test your level of consciousness. I think one was pinching muscle at the base of your neck by your shoulder and twisting. Face flicking was another.
I've had the fingernail pinching though which was strange because the pain seemed far away and more warm than anything else.

It makes me think of that movie "Little Shop of Horrors" and that song where he is encouraged to be a dentist
"You'll be a dentist.
You have a talent for causing things pain!
Son, be a dentist.
People will pay you to be inhumane!"

I must be getting tired! Things are starting to be funny that aren't so funny! ha ha!
Sorry. Long day.

Rae: Hairline fracture still equals ouch to me.

Back
Top Bottom