droop face

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

caragh3

New
Reaction score
hi i have just started to have an odd type of aura sometimes before migrains and some times no migrain? pins and needles down whole of 1 side tounge feels to big for mouth cant talk and cant understand no sleepyness afterwards left side face droop after last one. no seizures for 18 years but have had heamaplegic migrains has any one heard of siezures with these effects? had surgery for epilepsy 21 yrs ago right side of face often feels covered.
since surgery have had three bouts of major deppression anyone have any info about whether this is a side effect of tempoal lobe surgery i appreciate your help wendy

Hi, Wendy,

Welcome to the forum!

There are many people in here who have had surgery, and many of those suffer from depression. I'm sure they are going to chime in here soon.

The migraine auras are common. I most often get light patterns, though. When you get the aura with no migraine some call it a "silent migraine."

Have you mentioned the droopy face to your neurologist? What does he say?

Hi Wendy, welcome to CWE!

It does sound like something neurological is going on, but it's hard to distinguish between migraine and epilepsy as the cause since they overlap in symptoms, and often co-occur as they do for you. It's possible the scarring from your surgery has led to this newer round of symptoms, especially if the surgery was on the right side of your brain. And changing hormones or metabolism can sometimes lead to new seizure or migraine symptoms, so that could be another factor in why these new auras have emerged.

There could also be something going on with the trigeminal nerve -- it's the nerve responsible for sensation in the face, as well as certain motor functions like chewing.

Let your neurologist know what is going on, so he/she can take another look and re-evaluate your treatment.

Best,
Nakamova

Hi Wendy,

I had a left temporal lobectomy 20 years ago and was seizure free for only 14 months. After the lobectomy, tho, I started having migraines and severe depressive episodes. I had never been to that point of depression in my life..... suicidal at times. I struggled with it most of the 90's, couldn't find the right medication for the seizures or the depression and I was seeing a neurospychiatrist who specialized in the psychiatric aspects of epilepsy. The brain surgery messed my female cycle, so I ended up seeing my ob/gyn often and having to take more hormonal treatments, as well as my thyroid.

I was a mess back then. I finally found the right combination, although I do still struggle with depression and seizures on occasion.

Talk to you dr. ASAP and make sure it doesn't get any worse.

thanks everyone i have trigeminal neuralgia got it three years ago dr and neuro aren't sure if droopy face is due to a mild stroke wondering if anyone has had a droopy face after a seizure as i haven't been able to find anything on it. and thank you to those who have told me of their struggle with depression after surgery i have been suicidle with mine. every woman in my family gets migrains .18 years ago it was diagnosed by a neuro as heamaplegic migrain he had been my dr since i was 13 he has now passed away i also had spinal surgery in 2009 and a hysterectomy in 2009 as well, the only time i had seizuires after surgery was when i was pregnant. i also have blood pressure problems for the first time in my life 156/106 and for those who know it is very high.-

I'm sorry Wendy -- it sounds like you've had quite a bit of painful health stuff to deal with over the years, and a fair amount recently. I hope you can get some help from your neurologist soon.

For the high blood pressure, you might consider taking a magnesium supplement (check with your doctor first, of course). My b.p. was always on the low/normal side and then it went up when I went on Lamictal (even though that's not a listed side effect). I started taking magnesium in the morning and my blood pressure dropped back down to healthy levels almost immediately. Magnesium also helps some people with migraines, so it might help a bit with those too.

Is the left side of your face permanently droopy now, or is it only a temporary after-effect of the migraine? If it's temporary it seems less likely to be stroke-related, and more likely to be connected to the damaged trigeminal nerve.

thank you the droop seems to be going back to normal heamaplegia happens on either side temporal lobectomy was on the right side and tri neuralgia happens on both sides ive been tasted for ms and its not that family history of clots. i take lamictal and duragesic i think maybe duragesic is lifting bp but i need it for pain control

hello, i have sensory seizures, massive tumor on the left side of my brain. the tumor also bothers my facial nerves, droopy eye, mouth has pins and needles around it, so does the eye. call your doc. and see if he will schedule an mri.

hi i have just started to have an odd type of aura sometimes before migrains and some times no migrain? pins and needles down whole of 1 side tounge feels to big for mouth cant talk and cant understand no sleepyness afterwards left side face droop after last one. no seizures for 18 years but have had heamaplegic migrains has any one heard of siezures with these effects? had surgery for epilepsy 21 yrs ago right side of face often feels covered.
since surgery have had three bouts of major deppression anyone have any info about whether this is a side effect of tempoal lobe surgery i appreciate your help wendy
Hello. I have sensory seizures,found in Aug.2010. Due to the massive tumor on the left side of my brain and location it effects my facial nerves, eye, mouth. headces numbness. pins and needles etc. Have your doc. due an mri. Thats how they found mine.

Back
Top Bottom