Drug roulette

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
I went to see my neurologist yesterday. I had been on Topamax since December and as some of you already know was begining to lose my mind! Thankfully he realized right away that I wasn't my usual self. Seems the weight loss was a little more sever than I realized (I don't own a scale, another issue for another post) we talked about changing my medication.
So now I'm being weaned of the Topamax and going back to Epival. Its a lower dose than the last time and "supposedly" in conjuntion with the Keppra I shouldn't see the same level of tremors. Right now anything to get rid of the topamax works for me but I really don't want to go back to feeling like I have palsy again. Since my seizures aren't in control and I usually land out with some pretty decent damage afterwards, pregancy hasn't really been in the cards. But on Epival its a big bad no and somehow that makes it more real, weird. Begining to think this should be in the padded room...
One foot in front of the other and see what tomorrow brings

seizingbeauty, it's difficult when the seizures are still uncontrolled. Lack of control and lack of a diagnosis is especially hard. You will be successful in finding the best drug for you in the end.

BTW, your screen name deserves an award or two.

I had the weight loss problem when I was on Zonegran (and the opposite problem with Lamictal). Hang in there! It's tough to keep juggling meds, and I hope the latest combo works well for you. Take notes if you can, so you can get a sense of what the side effects are and if they are changing one way or another.

I lost weight like crazy when I was on Topomax. Even on Zonegran I was loosing weight, thankfully I am not on either on anymore.

I love your name, too, SeizingBeauty! :)

I'm hoping for all good things and that this spin of the med roulette wheel will be a winner.

Everyone saying they lost lots of weight on topamax gives me hope - I have a fair amount to lose. I love that aspect (and only that aspect) of this stuff. I'm apathetic and don't feel like cooking, am vaguely nauseated and couldn't eat if I did, am rather cotton-minded and forget to eat anyway, and my stomach doesn't growl and remind me, so it's no-eat on all fronts.

Seizing Beauty, you mentioned children. You don't have to answer this, but are you trying to have children? Is that possible on E meds? That would be a wonderful thing. :)

Thanks all for the shout out on the name. Its a running joke with an understanding friend of mine.
As to your question Endlesssea:
When I finally found a doctor who took the time to figure out what was going on he recommended not getting pregant at the time. I was not controlled in any way and my seizures often had me landed me in ER.
He said if I did want to get pregant now, he would recommend lowering my Keppra and switching me from Epival to Lamictal. He said there are never any gaurenties but these are the safest options available right now.

I would recommend asking your MD! Each person is different.

This will probably sound strange to some but probably the one things I am grateful for is that I didn't have children, couldn't have children and had gotten beyond wanting children by the time I started having seizures. I admire those who do it...it takes a huge measure of strength to do so if you ask me and if I could give ya'all a gold medal i would!

I'm past the age of having kids. I've thought of adopting, but with the health issues going on right now, I'm past it health-wise, too. So I'll join in with you in applauding others, but passing myself.

Back
Top Bottom