Epilepsy and Alzheimer's

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

I have the same shaking that you have. I use a walker, it is better than a cane, for support. I shake in my arms and well as feeling weak in my legs and feet.

Your doctor probably says nothing because my neuro says that it has nothing to do with epilepsy. Ask him about a medication for it.

I, too, experience shaking off and on and my epileptologist notices it every time I go in for a check-up. She says it is a side-effect from all the medication(s) I take, some for seizures, depression, diabetes, thyroid problems, cholesterol.

I also have memory loss and suffer from aphasia due to brain surgery and hippocampal damage the on left side of my brain.

I, too, experience shaking off and on and my epileptologist notices it every time I go in for a check-up. She says it is a side-effect from all the medication(s) I take, some for seizures, depression, diabetes, thyroid problems, cholesterol.

I also have memory loss and suffer from aphasia due to brain surgery and hippocampal damage the on left side of my brain.

It might just be my medications.

I am under going tests, though for Alzheimer's. I took the memory test, which showed that I have early stage Alzheimer's. I have done the blood work. Tomorrow, I have my MRI. Then next month my doctor will tell me the results.

http://www.alz.org/brain/09.asp

That will show how far advanced I am.

Hi Ruth

I just read about your shaking. I have several kinds of shaking. one makes me feel as if I weak (my legs) I have to keep a walking stick close by.
Is this what you expreienced, when I tell my Neur. (each time I go in) he will not conment of it. Which leaves me feeling crazy.

I'm go glad for you that you and your Dr. found the right medic. for you.
It's no fun feeling like I going to fall all the time.

:agree: I use a walker instead of a walking stick. With a cane, your are more likely to fall down than with a walker. If you decide to get a walker, get one that has 4 wheels. That way it will be balanced. My insurance pays for it.

I also have diabetes: I have a link to it and Alzheimer's.

http://www.johnhopkinshealthalerts.com/alerts/diabetes/JohnHopkinsHealthAlertsDiabetes_950-1.html

You will have to put Diabetes and Alzheimer's in the search box.

Last edited:
Hi, I have been on medication for Epilepsy for the past 35 years. I have been showing symptoms such as forgetfulness and I have these periods in the day when I tend to 'blank out' for a few seconds. (No it is not a seizure) I did see a doctor in December and he tried giving me some medication used to treat Alzheimer's. Would you mind getting specific about the problems you had with tegretol? That's what I've been on for about 18 years now.

I was on Tegretol for about 12 years. I went to the doctor when I started losing my skin. I was on than one med. He told me to get off of Tegretol. I did and I put Hiblsceins on my skin to heal my skin. You can get it over the counter. I healed.

Hi sanjumadhav,

I am glad to meet you. Forgetfulness can be from your medications, too. I was forgetful for years, before it turned into Alzheimer's. I am at the early stage. I see my neurologist the end of the month. He will then decide which med and what dosage will not interact in a bad way with the medications that I am on now.

I have finished with my other two tests. They were blood tests, Chem2, and a MRI.

Thank you for "your best wishes." I do accept it.

Back
Top Bottom