• Special Senses / Psychic Phenomena

Votes: 220 51.3%
  • Physical Automatisms

Votes: 138 32.2%
  • Nocturnal / Other

Votes: 96 22.4%

• Total voters

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

I get fear, deja vu, and macroscopia. Sometimes obscure childhood memories come back to me, im an atheist but i sometimes also get religious feelings going into a seizure, time seems to stop i hallucinate a white light and i feel a sort of unity... its a great feeling actually. but the "feeling of dying" is shocking.

Auras in the morning

I started having auras and seizures when I was 10. I had fallen out of a tree. I broke my arm and hit my head. I am now 39. I had brain surgery when I was 24 and I don't have seizures anymore, but I do still have auras on a regular basis. When they do happen, they always occur right when I wake up. I like them. They feel weird, but interesting too. I feel like I am an angel or someone from another world. Sometimes I see hallucinations. I see objects, like pictures on the wall, moving. They are wavy and blurry, but everything else around those objects is perfectly clear. Sometimes, if I have a really strong aura, I end up gasping for breath because I was concentrating so hard on the aura that I was holding my breath.

Last edited:
having one right now, just feel transparent and not all there. My skin is also real sensitive during my auras. I get awful smell as well. I am at work too and don't want this right now!

I experience hallucinations as well. Though, they're auditory. So far, nothing interesting has been said! At first I was terrified but when I discovered it came along with the territory of having Temporal Lobe Epilepsy the fear lessoned. In fact, no real fear at all now. I'd have a problem if I talked back! :secret:

I also get shortness of breath, start smacking my lips, vision gets a bit blurry. I stayed home from work today, per managers request. So I am going outside to enjoy the remarkable weather here in Houston, Texas.. USA..
On that note let me clarify.... George Bush was born in connecticut! not Texas as he so claims. I feel better having said that! lol:roflmao:

My vote will look a little confusing.
Pre Surgery 1999 I would have a weird feeling in my arms, legs and stomach.
Post Surgery my seizures are now, sleep seizures so no auras. Just rocking and rolling. LOL

I am the poster child for anxiety/fear of impending doom. Tonic clonics have been my seizure of choice for about 40 years now. Right before I had my first one at age 11 - I had just started my period, I used to hear a choir singing at night. Needless to say (year 1969) I was not about to share that info. with anyone. Even after that 1st seizure I did not tell anyone, not able to make the connection. I went for years thinking I was strange and feared at any moment would loose my mind. When I got into H.S. I started having strange sensations, again thinking I was different. I had been on phenobarbital for three years, then taken off, the medical community pronouncing me "cured". My next tonic clonic was at age 22. I have not to this day had the partial sight missing from one eye, tingling in my hand and arm feelings since H.S. My body just decided to forge ahead with full blown T.C. seizures. Besides scaring the crap out of me when they happen, my tongue is bit up and HURTS!!

Wow, how my auras fascinate me. I would rather have a full blown t.c anyday as I am not usually around with them, I've always said that it's not me that "suffers" with them, it's everyone else. My auras are incredible, and can range from being way back when in my childhood days, to being intensely aware of the situation I'm in at the time. Sometimes, it's almost a euphoric, almost religious experience (I am the least religious person on earth!) but it is almost orgasmic, am I allowed to say that word???!!! !! I hope this makes sense to you guys?! I can actually recall when I had an aura years ago, I would always see a man, wearing a flat cap, he'd be in an old 1930's cobbled street scene, and he would be pulling his collar up against the cold wind, and looking over his collar at me, I haven't seen him for a while but wow, it was amazing!! I know some folk only have auras when they are cleaning their teeth, and I usually have them in the morning these days, any ideas why?
I'd appreciate you all telling me what AED's you are on for Simple Partials? Hope you are all ok?

LOL

Elaine xx

hi,

I'm currently taking 700 mg of dilatin daily (2-1-1) and the lab says im withinin the therapeutic area. perhaps it helps me against full-blown tonic/clonic seizures but it sure doesn't do much against the simple partials that I'm having. I did just have about a week of seizure free living, I suspect it might have something to do with cesamet (a cannabinoid) which I was taking against naseau and headaches.
talk to ya all later(?)
Ralph

for years I was experiencing this really strange sensation that starts off as this very negative feeling of deja vu, then it feels as if my body is on a roller coaster just about to go over the edge, I used to call them my dizzy spells. Doctors had no idea what was going on and frankly I think they thought I was nuts. One day they started coming every morning. They got increasingly intense and often would cause me to get violently sick to my stomach and feel the need to sleep afterward. They began coming daily and one day I got to the roller coaster feeling and the next thing I knew I was on a stretcher in the middle of my college geography classroom and my professor told me I had a seizure

One time I smelled old spice cologne very strongly durring one of my dizzy spells, this happened before the seizure I had when I crashed my car, but I am not sure if that was part of the aura or if it was my grandpa coming to be my guardian angel (psychic sensation?). I was very lucky that I walked away with a few minor bruises and scratches, and that no other cars were involved.

hi amanda,
yup, that sounds really familiar too. the 'over the edge' feeling. about the only smells i've noticed are like burning electrical insulation ad/or a mix of industrial chemicals (sorta like driving past a heavy oil upgrader). when I get really strong auras i pull over and wait until they pass when I'm driving.
the seizures that i experience are 'only' weird sensations and feeling, the only motoric is the muscles on my my face, it looks like i'm having a stroke or something which sometimes scares the kids.
talk to ya later (?)

Hi Amanda,

Wow, when I read your post I was amazed! I could have written that word for word! Back in 2004 I was driving to work and had the most intense deja vu I had to pull over and get pull myself back together. I had never felt anything like that. Needless to say it was the beginning of a lot trouble. From then on I would continue you get these deja vu's with the horrible feelings in my stomach and lower back, and I also got the smell of an older guys cologne. I told my mom about it and we joked that maybe it was my grandfather watching over me. But I figured out that something was really wrong and that it was time to go to a doctor this year and now we're trying to get the seizures under control.

How do you become 'safe'. I would like to assure myself that I would, but at the moment I believe I would not be able to make myself safe. Thanks for reading.

another world

I had six pieces of pizza last night. I woke up in the night with that feeling of entering another dimension. I was not totally awake but knew it was an aura. I slept late, and now have the hang over feeling this morning. I had my granddaughter all day yesterday also. I have not had an aura since springtime. I think it was the pizza. I have cut out so much processed food, that is my conclusion. For me, eating pizza is over indulgence for my brain and body.:ponder:

Or, gigi,

maybe it was the gluten or dairy in the pizza that sent you over the top???

Meetz:

I am really thinking that it was the gluten in the pizza crust, and all that cheese! (yum) It is making sense to me. Just this year I have thought about my diet. I still feel a little hung over and sloooow. I took a valium, since that will help my angst about feeling seizure like.
Man I am glad I found this site, it costs a lot less than a therapist, and I don't have to leave the house!:bigsmile:

What about

starting a gluten free diet? That would be the best way to tell.....granted, it takes up to 8 months for every bit of gluten to leave your system, but a lot of ppeople see a difference sooner than that.

I think my experiment worked eating the pizza. I have cut so much bad stuff out of my diet, processed foods, eating out. (chemicals). I really think the pizza was a tip off for me. I can not possibly see how the aura was from anything else. My husband is skeptical, says man has been eating wheat for thousands of years. Anyway, I am just starting on this journey, and I am a believer after this week. Will this help my moods??:ponder:

Quite possibly

Start changing your diet the way you were thinking of doing in the first place, and document it in a journal. You just may find some patterns in there. You'll be surprised at what they may be.......

So last night I still had that spacing headachey feeling. Got a little nervous last night about goin to sleep. As my seizures are tonic clonics in my sleep. no seizure, but this morning I have the same spacey feeling, and I can not remember what my schedule is for tomorrow, til my daughter called and reminded me. I hate this, am trying to find a job right now, and this is in the way!! I called an organization yesterday, can't remember the name. Wanted to know if they could help me find a job. They help the disabled. The woman said seizures are not a disability, and their organization is only for indivisuals that can no longer do their jobs. I told her I worked in a law office, and can no longer do my job!? She asked if I take medication, yes and yes. oh well I am just tired and more tired. thanks for the ears, and the food journal suggestion. this is a proactive disorder, and this sight is a blessing.

Back
Top Bottom