Gastrointestinal Symptoms & Complex Partials?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

http://stankurtz.com would know doctors in your area that would have the most up to date info on the connection between GI issues and seizure disorders. Check out the page with photos of tongues.

Just be aware that Stan Kurtz is president of Jenny Mcarthys autism organization & has been known to promote such things that have not been scientifically proven yet.

Last edited:
endless,thats what mine is from-they said when I was pregnant with my twins that the flap doesnt close correctly and its not just the stomach acid that comes back up its the ctual food if Ive overindulged and sometimes it hasnt even digested hours later

Stan Kurtz was a dad who recovered his son from autism. I am a mom, and have helped my daughter raise her seizure threshold.

It wasn't until later when Stan was trying to get his story out, that he connected to others that have recovered their children too.

Helping my daughter with her seizure disorder has not been "scientifically" prove either
yet I can prove it via the seizure calendar I keep.

Stan Kurtz was a dad who recovered his son from autism. I am a mom, and have helped my daughter raise her seizure threshold.

It wasn't until later when Stan was trying to get his story out, that he connected to others that have recovered their children too.

That may or may not be be true but if such things cannot be proven scientifically then they are anecdotal until they are proven in the eyes of the medical and scientific community.

Also, as far as the medical & science community is concerned there is no cure to autism so I personally do find it hard to believe.

As happy as I am that your daughter has had less seizures & an increased seizure threshold, I don't believe that your calendar is proof since for something to be proven there can be absolutely no possibility of coincidence.

Last edited:
Thanks, but I don't think it's gallstones because they did every test imaginable on me, from blood tests to stool tests to scans to colonoscopies. And if seizures aren't causing it, somehow I think it's probably an overgrowth of some pathogen?

A few years ago my symptoms were even more severe, and as in as soon as I would eat a meal (literally, within an hour or less), a long yellow, fatty, oily bowel movement the length of my entire colon would slide out. I mean, these bowel movements back then were HUGE, and I was tiny. In fact, my weight dropped to 88 lbs and doctors thought, because everything was coming back normal, that I wasn't ingesting enough calories. Some even suspected anorexia nervosa, even though I told them I was eating.

IV Rocephin for Lyme Disease improved things enough for me that I'm not having 3 to 5 bowel movements a day anymore (usually), and I'm a healthy weight now. But the color and consistency of my stools hasn't changed much.

Last edited:
I'm going to sound like a broken record (if anyone knows what those are anymore) :) perhaps. but there's SO much that has been covered up over the years, someone has to start getting the word out. Drugs cover up symptoms, they don't cure. Today's "scientific" medicine is often based on treating the symptoms not the CAUSE of problems. Anything that the drug companies, etc. don't want people to know, is never going to be found in mainstream medicine! To put it bluntly, the drug companies have brainwashed people for so long, they see any new drug or operative proceedure as a message from King Solomen -or darn near. They're NOT going to want information that could put a huge dent in their multi-billion dollar profits to get out (obviously).
Point being, things that are not drugs or surgery related are most of the time NEVER going to be anything but anicdotal, because that's the way the drug companies want it. So often you have to look past the "wisdom" of the pharmacutical industry and try things that haven't been, and probably never will be, "proven". I know the argument about drugs saving lives today all too well, but there ARE natural SAFE (despite what "they" tell you) ways to correct most, if not all medical issues. Also, natural methods do not often work instantaniously the way many drugs do, so people give up on them too soon. Your body needs to CORRECT the root of the problem, and just like a cut finger doesn't totally heal within minutes or hours after you put a band-aid on it, you need to give your body time to heal itself inside too.
Due to an unrelated issue, I was in a nursing home for almost a year. During that time I ate the food that they had which, most often were processed, quick fix/precooked/reheated kinds of food loaded with preservatives. My heartburn (nightly) got SO bad I ate as little as possible. Even during the day whenever I'd eat anything a few hours later... After I (finally) got home and could start eating decent food, it's finally starting to go away (after several months). Your body takes time to correct itself.

I'm going to sound like a broken record (if anyone knows what those are anymore) :) perhaps. but there's SO much that has been covered up over the years, someone has to start getting the word out. Drugs cover up symptoms, they don't cure. Today's "scientific" medicine is often based on treating the symptoms not the CAUSE of problems.
As far as epilepsy is concerned, the causes vary greatly. The one thing that is in common is a misfiring of neurons thus the one thing that all AEDs do is slow the firing of neurons. That makes perfect sense to me.

Anything that the drug companies, etc. don't want people to know, is never going to be found in mainstream medicine! To put it bluntly, the drug companies have brainwashed people for so long, they see any new drug or operative proceedure as a message from King Solomen -or darn near. They're NOT going to want information that could put a huge dent in their multi-billion dollar profits to get out (obviously).
Point being, things that are not drugs or surgery related are most of the time NEVER going to be anything but anicdotal, because that's the way the drug companies want it. So often you have to look past the "wisdom" of the pharmacutical industry and try things that haven't been, and probably never will be, "proven". I know the argument about drugs saving lives today all too well, but there ARE natural SAFE (despite what "they" tell you) ways to correct most, if not all medical issues. Also, natural methods do not often work instantaniously the way many drugs do, so people give up on them too soon. Your body needs to CORRECT the root of the problem, and just like a cut finger doesn't totally heal within minutes or hours after you put a band-aid on it, you need to give your body time to heal itself inside too.
Actually, it is the scientists who don't accept anecdotes. That is just part of the scientific method. I'm sure if it were up to the pharmaceutical company they'd be selling their medications on anecdotal claims & getting away with it. I like that anecdotes aren't accepted & that there is proof from some laboratory so that I can feel safe when taking my AEDs. To criticise this doesn't make sense either.

Last edited:
Strangly enough crohns came to my mind.. my fiance seems to suffer with it though they have never actually been able to say for sure!! But normally with crohns are traces of blood..when my fiance has it actively he bleeds a lot!

I am very intrigued by this discussion. My son was diagnosed with a complex partial seizure disorder last year and often complains of stomach pain as an aura. His neurologist has stated that the stomach pain and seizures are totally unrelated. Have any of our neurologists acknowledged a connection?

I too am very intrigued by this. I was diagnosed in 1979 with Ulcerative Colitis and Grand Mal Epilepsy. My Neurologist say that both conditions are stress related and both go hand in hand.
If I have a flare up with my UC, then I have to double up on the UC meds.
That causes my dilantin to become LESS effective, so my Epilepsy meds have to be adjusted accordingly----for about two weeks(that's usually when the flare up clears up) then back to the regular dose.

I've had Ulcerative Colitis and Epilepsy since 1979 ~ both of these conditions are believed to be stress related but that fact has yet to be proven. As you know, stress effects everybody differently and this is what it has done to me. It has been documented that ppl with EP have a greater chance of getting some sort of bowel condition (IBS)or visa/versa as there are so many nerves in the digestive tract that "could" be affected by a seizure condition.
Some of the first symptoms to watch for are: 1) first sign is mucus in the stools ~ then blood in the stools.
2) Feeling that you always have to empty your bowels ~ sometimes every 15 mins or every hour (depending on the severity)
3) When you go to the washroom, all you get is Lots of gas accompanied with blood and/or mucus.
4) bloating of the stomach.
5) Usually flares up AFTER a stressful event (same as a seizure or anaura) or if you've been eating acidy foods or caffine or dairy prods.

But I find it's very well controlled with medication.
I usually have a flare up every 2 yrs.
Very tricky to control though with my Epilepsy, like walking a tight rope.
My blood levels have to be monitored weekly so I can maintain the theraputic level for my AED's but not mess up my UC med count. IE: My UC meds paint a protective coating on the bowel and stomach walls and as a result, the AED's can't motabilize properly ~ then if you increase yor AED's, they could become toxic in your system or if you have a flare up, you have to increase your doseage of the UC meds (mine is Aminosalsylicacid) then it's that much harder for the AED's to penetrate the stomach and bowel so if you increase your doseage of AED's, they can become toxic and you will act like a drunk or stoner.

What I have found is that a flare up or EP seizure will happen AFTER a stressful event like I said above b/c during a relaxed time, your body's natural defenses are down.

Since I have EP and UC, my neurologist says it's very difficult to control.
I'm currently seeing Dr. A. Upton, proffessor of Neurology, McMaster Univerity Medical Centre, He's lectured on my case and it has been documented in the 1986 Medical Journal.

Randy

I am not a doctor but I am a person who has had a complex partial seizure condition for 62 years. Pessonaly, there is a pre & post seizure stomach pain/cramps that I get. Before the seizure I sometimes get cramps, chills & diarreah. After the actual seizure it usually takes my stomach 8-10 hours to settle. Again, for me, the seizure itself is usually caused by intake of msg, sweetiners, etc.

Have you really been able to connect chills,cramping and diarrhea to your seizures,John?

Yes, My seizures are ncturnal & if I have had chinese food, for example, whe I go to bed that night I start getting chills, cramps in my stomach. Through the night as I am experiencing this I will have a 1+ min seizure experience followed by diarrhea. This lasts until my body/brain processes what I have eaten. In most cases I don't know I have eaten msg etc so when I get this feeling before the seizure I will take a gentle bees wax type of laxitive which helps me to digest the bad food intake gently. It's almost as though this negative pre & post seizure feeling I get is worse than the seizure itself!

Elizzza, this is a very late response to your question, but you and I have very similar symptoms. The difference with me is that my gall-bladder was removed, and for years I assumed that my GI problems were as a result of this. Questrin (cholestyramine) has been very helpful in regularizing my bowels on a daily basis (nothing else ever worked) and I now have normal BM, unless I have a seizure. My seizures strike between 2 and 6 a.m., and always present first with rolling tummy, gurgles, little pain, and a feeling of malaise. About two hours later I have the runs, and often seize while toileting. I have to wake my husband up, as I have ended up with concussions and other injuries. It took 2 years of these extreme episodes to get a diagnosis, which was only about 3 weeks ago. I have bi-temporal epilepsy, and am waiting on further testing (a 24 hour halter) to see if they can find out more. I have been doing reading on "autonomic" and "abdominal" epilepsy, but it seems to be still pretty controversial. Also, I don't have the terrible pain that is usually associated with it, only discomfort. Anyway, it is interesting to hear about what others have said here. Has anybody had similar episodes, and did the anti-convulsants solve the GI problems as well, or at least decrease them?
Thanks,
Aseneth

Hi Aseneth, Over the last few years I have pretty much controlled my stomach problems by staying on a non MSG lactaid free diet. When I have an off night the first place I feel sick is in my stomach. I have diarrhea, pains in my lower stomach & sweating. All my life after I would have a nocturnal seizure episode it would take me about a day to get back to normal. There are some interesting articles written by Dr Blaylock on exitotoxins. Take a look

I forgot to tell you that activia or probiotics has helped me also.

Hi Aseneth, Over the last few years I have pretty much controlled my stomach problems by staying on a non MSG lactaid free diet. When I have an off night the first place I feel sick is in my stomach. I have diarrhea, pains in my lower stomach & sweating. All my life after I would have a nocturnal seizure episode it would take me about a day to get back to normal. There are some interesting articles written by Dr Blaylock on exitotoxins. Take a look

Thanks very much, Sturg. Are you on anti-ep meds too?

I actually think my problem might be wheat (though I had a negative celiac) and not dairy.
I take Activia and it certainly hellps.
Aseneth

This is interesting to read because I've been loosing weight lately and wondered whether it was a digestive problem. I also dont have the same appitite but even when I eat fatty foods I'm not gaining weight. My mum says its because its from all the dieting and that its come off all at once.

But I have not been trying hard on my weight watchers diet, I normally gain weight.

She even came to the doctors with me and after woulds I told her about my symptoms and how useless the doctor was, so she probably thinks I'm just its me making up illnesses cos I am stressed. If this continues I shall go back to the doctor this week!

Because I am fedup of not knowing whats going on

OK, sorry this is so long, but we're right in the middle of this and wanted to share what has helped so far...

We have had similar problems with our little Jon Jon who is almost 9 -- he has had chronic diarrhea throughout his life, and they seem to go hand in hand with his seizures. When he is in seizure remission, he usually is also in diarrhea remission.

In the month of November, he had diarrhea or loose stool almost every day the entire month. And...like you mentioned, quite fatty.

It sounds like you probably have a malabsorbtion issue of some sort, and maybe gallbladder or pancreas issue? I'm assuming you're working with a GI doc?

We are currently (in past 2 weeks) working with both a GI doc and a Pediatrician who specializes in nutrition. Quite frankly, the Pediatrician/nutritionist has been more helpful than the GI doc so far. She prescribed a high dose of zinc, and also put him on Pancreatin (pancreatic enzymes) and probiotics. She also has him on MCT oil, which is absorbed more easily than other types of fats.

The zinc and enzymes seemed to do the trick in clearing up the diarrhea, but we had to cut the zinc dose in half (she prescribed 150 mg a day in 2 75 mg doses, which is super high) because it seemed to be triggering nighttime seizures. We started out on 75 mg a day, and then gradually worked up, and when he was on the lower dose, he didn't have seizures, but the higher dose did seem to cause some seizures. I researched this and found that zinc can both inhibit seizures but also trigger them (2 different actions on the brain).

The first dose of probiotic he got triggered 3 seizures, so we held off on giving him any more until he was 24 hours seizure free (which meant figuring out what was causing the nighttime seizures, and we think it was the high zinc dose, so we cut that out last night, and he didn't have a nighttime seizure). So...we gave him a second probiotic dose this morning, and so far, so good. He's supposed to get 2 capsules a day -- one before breakfast and one before supper, but we're going to just give the morning one for 3 days, and if he tolerates that, will give him the supper one.

I know you mentioned that probiotics seem to help a little. We had given him probiotics before, but they were the freezedried ones. Didn't seem to help at all. This time, we're giving him the live bacteria. I think the probiotic may have triggered the seizures because of yeast and "bad" bacteria die-off. I tried to find some scholarly research on this, and didn't, but lots of the nutrition sites talk about some side effects from the initial die-off.

I keep a food log and compare to diarrhea (and seizures), and I did note that regular yogurt seems to cause loose stool. Perhaps it's because the high amount of lactose that's still in the store-bought yogurt. Have you checked out the "Specific Carbohydrate Diet"? It recommends making homemade yogurt and letting it ferment for 24 hours -- so the bacteria can eat up all the lactose.

When Jonathan was on the Ketogenic diet for seizures, he did have one year of remission from both diarrhea/loose stool and also from seizures. In researching some of the possible reasons for this, I noted some strong correlations between the Ketogenic diet and the "Specific Carbohydrate Diet" (which is recommended for people with Inflammed Bowel Disease). For one thing, both diets cut out ALL grains -- not just gluten, and also sugar. Also, both diets eliminate most dairy products except for hard cheeses and butter -- which are low in lactose (the Ketogenic diet permits heavy whipping cream, which is also low in lactose). Apparently, the bad bacteria in the gut feed off of the sugars (which can be found in grains, sugars, fruit high in sugar, and milk sugar) -- so if the sugars are eliminated, or greatly reduced, the bacteria are starved.

So...as I mentioned, the Ketogenic diet bought us a year of both seizure freedom and diarrhea freedom. However, last March, Jon had a bad stomach virus, and while the rest of the family recovered in 2 or 3 days, he was still quite ill after 2 weeks. And ever since then he has had trouble again with both diarrhea and seizures, and in recent months, both got very bad. And then, he got another stomach virus several weeks ago, that made things even worse -- to the point that he had to be admitted to the hospital.

His Pediatrician/Nutritionist believes that what happened in March was that the viral illness created an inflammation which caused the intestines to produce more mucus than normal, and this mucus build up in the intestines is causing the food to pass through the gut too fast, and not get absorbed. So, her course of treatment is meant to help with the mucus buildup and improve his immune system and improve absorbtion. (In the meantime, the GI doc is doing stuff like checking for parasites and bacteria in the stool, and he also has an Ultrasound scheduled for this Wed).

Since his most recent viral illness several weeks ago, we have had him on only a few foods:
1) Carrots (good for gut inflammation, easy to digest)
2) Chicken (boiled, just small amounts)
3) MCT oil (4 grams per meal)
4) Olive oil (also good for gut inflammation, but too much can cause more diarrhea)

We have kept him on the Ketogenic diet, but lowered the ratio, so he is getting less fat and more carbs.

After about 1 week on this diet, we added in heavy whipping cream (he needs a lot of fat with the Keto diet) and yogurt. He tolerated the cream, but not the yogurt. After about 2 days on this regime, we finally saw some fairly normal bowel movements (but still pretty light in color). After several days, we added in green beans, well cooked. It didn't seem to cause diarrhea, but he also didn't seem to be digesting them (recognizable on the other end). We then added in apple (peeled and cooked), and that seemed ok.

So..this is what we're doing right now...gradually adding in one food at a time, waiting about 2 days to see what happens, and then adding in another. Something like you do with introducing solid foods to a baby.

When Jonathan was in remission, he ate quite a few veggies (raw and cooked)) and and some fruit, but only fruit low in sugar (like berries, star fruit, and melon). This is supposed to be good for gut health BUT when you are having diarrhea, should not eat any raw veggies until the symptoms are gone for some time.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom