Getting a hysterectomy

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

My mother is planning to be with me. Just frustrating because those around me comprehend "surgery" more than they do "epilepsy" these days.

I had the hysterctomy and everything went fine, still going great. Really the only pain that I had was in my back but that was only because I had back problems when I had it done. I've had that fixed last month.

It was a vaginal hysterctomy and I only had my uterus removed, I still have my ovaries removed.

Let me know if you have any more questions that I can try to answer.

Thank you so much for responding to me valeried!

I guess my concerns are two-part and I have had a hard time expressing these feelings to most people because they just don't understand. My uterus isn't helping me; in fact, it is hurting me on a monthly basis. With all of the epilepsy problems, it has not been easy being a "woman with epilepsy."

As a little girl, I wanted nothing more than my own children. I always saw it as a blessing being a pregnant and then a mom. My friends are wonderful in terms of having their children call me "Auntie" and spending time with me, but it still isn't the same. Deep down I've known for awhile that I would never have children; the doctors pretty much told me so. Not that I can't have them, but with the combo of medicine I'm on and my type of seizures (where I can't come off the medicine) it is not safe...for myself or a fetus. The hysterectomy is sort of the nail in the coffin, if you will, that it will now never happen. There was at least hope before. I feel like the epilepsy is invading all parts of my body, in some way shape or form; it refuses to stay to confined to my head.

I'm sure I'll be fine; I always bounce back. I've just been upset lately. To answer you, there are so many fibroids and they are so big, I'm having an abdominal hysterectomy, but like you, I will still have my ovaries. Thank you again for responding.

I had always wanted to be a mom too before I had epilepsy. Now I just can't take kids. I yell at everyone's kids any where I go - resturants, grocery stores, family get togethers etc... I know I wouldn't beable to handle my own kid.

I always made sure that I took my birthcontrol on time but they say there is that small chance that you can still get pregnant. If I were too I don't know what I would have done. Because of the epilepsy and all the meds I'm on I don't even know if I would beable to have a child. This was one of the main reasons that I decided to have the hysterctomy.

I was glad when my husband and I met that his son was 17. I'm sure are relationship would have still worked out if he had a younger child but it probably would have been a little harder for me.

The only thing that really upsets me about not being able to have a child now is that my parents won't be grandparents and my grandparents won't be great grandparents. They all love children and I know the kid would have been loved and spoiled to death. I have a brother but I'm not sure if he'll grow up enough to have a kid.

You can always look into adoption. I have a friend who was unable to have children and that's what she did.

Back
Top Bottom