Getting on with it...

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Everyone is different when it comes to this matter.

I started having seizures about 12 years ago when I was 27. I had to be put into a coma for a few weeks because I was literally having one seizure right after another. When they were able to get my seizures under some what of control I was able to go home. At that time I may have had one or more a day or I might go a few days with out one then have a seizure.

My seizures were very bad at first. I didn't know when they were coming on and I would black out during them and not even know that I'd had it unless there was someone there to see it happen. Even now, I'm having around 7 a month, I still don't know they've happened unless there was someone there to see it.

It didn't take too long for me to accept it. I was in the hospital and having to take medicine every day when I got out. I was having horrible headaches (which I usually get after a seizure) a good bit. I knew this was happening because I had epilepsy and for no other reason. I know it took my family a lot longer to accept the fact that I had epilepsy than I did and I think it was because they were the ones who saw me in the coma and they saw the seizures happen and I didn't.

My family were the ones who were scared about not knowing when a seizure was going to happen and they were the ones who wanted me to just sit in the house and do nothing and have someone around me at all times. I know it took them at least 5 years before they realized that I was able to do things. Even now however they still don't want me doing things alone.

If anything you could say I was mad because I had it. I almost never know when a seizure is going to happen and I had to stop driving were the main reasons but I still wanted to live my life. What makes me the maddest, and still does, it the fact that I can be at some type of major event like a concert or sports game and I could have a seizure in the middle of it. It's not like you can look at the calendar and say "I'm going to a baseball game on the 7th so I'm not going to schedule a seizure for that day".

I had to have surgery on my spine a few years ago, the pain in my back was so severe that I almost couldn't walk at times. The dr who was doing the surgery told me several times that if I were to have a seizure while he was operating that I could end up paralyzed. He said that it is very rare that people have seizures while they are under anesthesia but it could still happen. I still decided to have the surgery because I wasn't going to let epilepsy stop me.

It's great to see that your husband is helping you deal with it! This is much better than what my family did.

Hi Valerie,

You have tried everything including surgery. You are still having 7 seizures every month.

I do not have a crystal ball for predicting future. Can I please suggest you to start drinking cold pressed organic coconut oil? Start with one tablespoon every day initially and slowly ramp it to 5 tablespoon over a period of two weeks. (This is in addition to whatever drugs have been prescribed by your neurologists).

There is nothing to lose and everything to gain. You may be surprised with the results.

Regards,
Jay

Last edited:
Hi Valerie,

You have tried everything including surgery. You are still having 7 seizures every month.

I do not have a crystal ball for predicting future. Can I please suggest you to start drinking cold pressed organic coconut oil? Start with one tablespoon every day initially and slowly ramp it to 5 tablespoon over a period of two weeks. (This is in addition to whatever drugs have been prescribed by your neurologists).

There is nothing to lose and everything to gain. You may be surprised with the results.

Regards,
Jay

Having 7 seizures a month is very good, if you want to put it that way, because I was having about 20 seizures a month before all these things. The seizures I was having before were horrible and the ones I have now aren't nearly as bad.

I don't do anything without asking my neuro first. I've tried things that people on here or that I know might suggest which have either not worked or caused me to have more seizures.

On one of them I started having seizures like crazy. When I stopped taking it my seizures when back to normal. When my neuro asked what was going on at the time that I was having so many seizures I'll tell him what I did and he'll tell me that I shouldn't have done that because it doesn't react good with the medicines that I was taking.

I don't eat coconut as it is because I don't like it so I don't know if it would react with my medicines in any way.

Having 7 seizures a month is very good, if you want to put it that way, because I was having about 20 seizures a month before all these things. The seizures I was having before were horrible and the ones I have now aren't nearly as bad.

I don't do anything without asking my neuro first. I've tried things that people on here or that I know might suggest which have either not worked or caused me to have more seizures.

On one of them I started having seizures like crazy. When I stopped taking it my seizures when back to normal. When my neuro asked what was going on at the time that I was having so many seizures I'll tell him what I did and he'll tell me that I shouldn't have done that because it doesn't react good with the medicines that I was taking.

I don't eat coconut as it is because I don't like it so I don't know if it would react with my medicines in any way.

It is always good to talk to one's neurologist.

There is a world famous Florida based neurologist with more than 30 years of experience, "Dr. Perlmutter". He has recently written a book, "Brain Maker" and you will be surprised by what Dr. Perlmutter says in that book.

http://www.drperlmutter.com/

Back
Top Bottom