harrassed/teased at work

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

You mean I got to tell people about me? I thought that the law said I didn't have to as long as I was seizure free? I was able to join the military for a brief time, and everything.:paperbag:

You mean I got to tell people about me? I thought that the law said I didn't have to as long as I was seizure free? I was able to join the military for a brief time, and everything.:paperbag:
Why not tell 'em? Isn't your objective one to minimize their ignorance? Sure, some of 'em will act like 'holes. The gutless ones wil fall behind those ignorant ones. The true friends will leave if they hate the environment or line up as your friends.

Here's a good approach:
Do a formal verbal presentation about your E. Everybody will know. Give handouts from the EFA so they can read and re-read about E. Explain how they can help you and what type of sz you have so they can recognize one. This is gutsy for a shy person, but it will clear the air. If nobody accepts it, move on to a better environment. The harassment only raises your threshold. Some kids never grow up.
Always have a backup plan. Another job interview (keep it confidential!) may be your best option. And if that fails, always be ready with a written record of events and dates that accurately describe your working environment. A lawyer will decipher that stuff for you.

I have never been teased about my seizures, but the discussion does not seem to come up in casual conversation, even with my own family. We sit and talk about my Dad's heart disease, my Mom's diabetes, even my older Brother in recovery for alcoholism. God forbid if we should bring up my epilepsy. If I bring it up, and talk about the depression that goes with, a big silence fills the room. Every ache and pain we all have can be discussed, but a big thug its the floor when E is brought up. Back in the seventies when I was in H.S. I was having "spells" at school, I had one seizure at age 11. My parents never thought to get me checked out, kids just thought I was a hypocondriac. When I look back I must have been having partials. It was not until I hit age 22 that I had a tonic clonic and even then the denial on the part of everyone was astounding. Anyway, the stigma is there, and I can not imagine what kind of creatures would make fun of someone with E. :ponder:

getting worse

I just had a co-worker die because of the lies that were levied against him.
There are some incredibly mean people out there.
The dude was a veteran, had to go to Iraq and Afghanistan.
Came back to work, only to find that some piece of work had levied false charges against him. Not once but multiple times.
It caused him so mush stress, that he had inflamed intestines.

My stress level has increased because the name calling has gotten worse.
Part of my problem is that I have Aspergers. Self diagnosed, but all the clues match perfectly.
I also feel that my seizures have gotten worse.
I am experiencing a lot of the symptoms that made him sick.

I can't quit work, I won't be able to find another job.

Shelley,

Do you work for a company that is large enough to have an HR department? If so, go to HR and lodge a complaint. Also tell your bosses, in writing, about your harassment. Keep a copy of all written materials that you send, or someone else sends, to anyone. Take notes every day about what happened, who did/said it, any witnesses, time, date, etc. Document in great detail. Do it just after the incident when your memory is fresh.

If HR doesn't take action, get an employment lawyer. They will meet with you for a half hour or so for free. You can also lodge a complaint with the EEOC
http://www.eeoc.gov/

Your doctor's documentation of your disability will be key. Make sure you have a copy of your chart with teh diagnosis in it.

Also important is whether your employer/boss/coworkers know you have epilepsy. If they knew already, it can be discrimination. If they didn't, it's still a hostile work environment.

Take steps to stand up for yourself - If you don't, no one will. call HR, then a lawyer if no help from the company. If you don't take care of yourself, no one will. Oh - and if you quit, it's harder to get resolution from the company. Talk to a lawyer first before you do that. Okay?

People who tease or ridicule are just ridiculous so don't waste your energy worrying about them or what they think of you. You know your a great person so just remember that.

anybody that teases someone with seizures deserves to get punched in the throat..

Back
Top Bottom