Hello, I'm new here!

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

It seems its not uncommon for a person to go through a VEEG & not have any seizures which can be a bit annoying lol.

I had brain surgery in March 2011 & my VEEG was one of the pre surgery tests I had to have. Luckily even though I only had some simple partial seizures (which still showed up on the eeg) I was still considered a good candidate for surgery given my history of epilepsy & where the scarring was.
When I was about to have my surgery I told my neuropsychologist how my brain waited until the day after I was released from hospital before I had a complex partial & she said it is a bit like Murphys Law lol.

Well Grace, I really hope it comes well with you tonight. I was lucky when I was in and they tried making seizures happen... they tried and they came. I do not remember just how long I did stay but I am somewhat sure it was prior to my second night having staying there at the hospital. Anyhow, I do hope this is a great seizure night for you! :eek:

Hi grace. Haven't heard anything. Was wondering how you are doing. Keep us updated.

Bobbi, thanks so much for following up. I ended up staying 4 full days with only one day of my medicine reduced to 50mg. To my knowledge, I did not have any seizure activity although I did feel pretty crummy a couple of times with the sleep deprivation and caffeine overload. I was hoping to stay a little longer on the low dose of medication but my insurance only pays for so much time. My thoughts are that mine are triggered mostly by stress and the traumatic birth I experienced. So there wasn't much stress just lying in a hospital bed waiting. Another girl that was there with me had the same experience...nothing. It's dissapointing because I don't know anymore now than I did before. I still have the same diagnosis and am taking the same medicine as before. I still can't drive :(. I go for a follow up where I will get the full report but not until September.

Oh, and something funny in my discharge paperwork...only cook with a microwave. I understand why, but does anyone really do this? Lol

I only cook with a microwave, but that's because I'm lazy. :) Seriously, I know some CWE members have had injuries because they had seizures while cooking, so it can be risky for some.

Lol. The microwave is easy, right? so this gives us the excuse not to cook :). I totally get the safety precaution which is very important. I guess I just never imagined that so many freedoms I took for granted could be taken away so quickly once diagnosed (driving, bathing alone, cooking over the stove, swimming alone, etc). That one in particular just gave me a chuckle. I have to laugh to cope with the crud.

:ponder: Interesting that you bring this "...only cook with a microwave" up. Yesterday I baked some chicken at around 3pm and my wife realized about 9:30pm that I never turned the oven off. I didn't have a seizure yesterday but every since my surgeries I guess I don't have the memory I probably should and the potential for a seizure is there.

But only having the microwave to cook my food! :dontknow:

Hmmm... so I am again not supposed to be driving even though I have yet to get notification in the mail... shouldn't be cooking on the stove... was told more than 10 years ago not to take baths or to go swimming as seizures could cause one to inhale the water... yes I suppose I should listen to what you posted Grace, "I have to laugh to cope with the crud." :rolleyes:

If I can't laugh, I will at least smile :)

Forgetting to turn off the stove could happen to any of us so don't feel bad. Of course, the seizures and the medication we take for them can give us foggy brain so it's easier to forget things. The spirit of the laws and guidelines are for our safety, but it is hard because those things represent our independence.

Driving has been the hardest for me with kids at home. My husband has to do it all. It's put a strain on him too. Just the simple joy of taking my little one to the park is not a possibility right now and that stinks. Keep smiling and I will smile with you. We can let this get the best of us!

:ponder: Interesting that you bring this "...only cook with a microwave" up. Yesterday I baked some chicken at around 3pm and my wife realized about 9:30pm that I never turned the oven off. I didn't have a seizure yesterday but every since my surgeries I guess I don't have the memory I probably should and the potential for a seizure is there.

But only having the microwave to cook my food! :dontknow:

Hmmm... so I am again not supposed to be driving even though I have yet to get notification in the mail... shouldn't be cooking on the stove... was told more than 10 years ago not to take baths or to go swimming as seizures could cause one to inhale the water... yes I suppose I should listen to what you posted Grace, "I have to laugh to cope with the crud." :rolleyes:

If I can't laugh, I will at least smile :)

omg I did this woke up thinking I smelled something cooking it was nearly my kitchen!!!!........... thank goodness for the oven only being on low for me other wise ... I don't want to think about it........

Yes, I'm glad nothing bad happened! We joke about it but I'm sure people have really gotten hurt. I went swimming today and I had the little voice in my head saying "you are not supposed to swim alone". Well, my daughter was with me but she's 7!

Back
Top Bottom