helmets?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Tania

New
Reaction score
Well first of all, Hi! I'm Tania. I've had Epilepsy for about three years. It's a pretty long story, but ultimately I got into drugs and drinking in my teens and in 2007 I got into a car, drunk, and attempted to drive myself home.
Now I suffer from tonic clonic and complex partial seizures, but they're pretty much under control Just recently, though, I've been having atonic seizures so I thought I would come here and get some input from anyone who has a helmet or had some experience with helmets. I know there are all different kinds, some with face shields and some with extra padding and all that. What kind would be best for atonic seizures? I mean what's really the difference?

Thanks!

Helmets

Hi Tania- Good 2 meet U - I don't suffer regular drop Szs bit have brain injury which has caused me 2 fall @ times cutting face & head - I have to stay fit physically & shotokan karate covers all bases 4 me - as such I wear helmet like a boxer during Kumite - my view? - whatever the circumstances of E use a helmet to adapt & cater for threat of injury - a bang 2 the head/chin can so easily put one in a worse position - Take care, Col

Hi Tania --

I think it's a matter of degree -- the more padding the better in terms of protection, but there can be a trade-off in terms of comfort or convenience. In general, the back/top of the head is where the skull is thickest. If you hit the ground there it can hurt like hell, but you'll do less damage there than if you hit the temples or do a faceplant.

I know one CWE member who has atonic seizures also a has a trained seizure companion dog to help out.

My wife tells me the safest place for me to fall is on my head - I won't expand on the obvious!!

hi tania i'm also new to this site , DANMAR make helmet with face guard and also EASTPED are best but are large and kind of odd looking .
pat

google fresh trend helmet. one of the first results is a link to a company that makes some more hat-like helmets.

also scrum caps may be a feasible option, and I think they look cool, but it may just be my predilection for the sport. Not as good as a helmet, but they sure help. Climbing helmets also are fairly non obtrusive.

Back
Top Bottom