Hi, I'm a newbie to the site, but not to Epilepsy!

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

llora428j

New
Reaction score
I am a 46 year old woman and have had Epilepsy since I was 13. I am just recently beginning to have more seizures. I was seizure free for more than 7 years. I developed an ovarian cyst two years ago and had several seizures. I should have had a hysterectomy at that time because my insurance deductible was paid. Had I know I would be having more around the time of my cycle I would have. Starting in September of 2010 I had two more. Fearing that I had another cyst I went to my OBGYN. He did tests after not finding a cyst for menopause symptoms. He aslo checked my thyroid and my hormone levels. Nothing. I had two more in January. My neuro put me back on Neurontin along with my Tegretol XR. Neurontin controlled my after having my last child and I was controlled with no seizures for more than 7 years. I had another seizure in March. All of these are around the time I am ovulating, or just starting my cycle.
I went to my Neuro last week and asked him about progestrone therapy and he said it wouldn't help my seizures. I am sooo confused. All I have read says that estrogen triggers seizures and progestrone levels kept above estrogen can keep the estrogen from triggering them. I go to my OBGYN next week and am going to ask him to at least try me on progestrone therapy to see if it will work.

Hi and Welcome :hello:
Sorry to hear about your seizure activity after being seizure free for all of that time. Hopefully your dr. will be able to find the right combination for you. Let us know how you are doing.

A big hello from Spring Finland..so sorry to hear about the seizures and I hope they will soon be completely under control!

Hi llora428j, welcome to CWE!

Your neurologist sounds less than helpful. Did he say WHY he thought the progesterone cream wouldn't help? Is it because he doesn't believe that your seizures are catamenial, or because he doesn't believe progesterone cream can treat them?

Perhaps you should print out and mail him the info in these links:
Patterns - http://professionals.epilepsy.com/page/catamenial_patterns.html
Evaluation - http://professionals.epilepsy.com/page/catamenial_eval.html
Treatment - http://professionals.epilepsy.com/page/catamenial_treatment.html

And you might also have a copy handy to show your OB/GYN. I hope you get some help. It may be worth seeing another neurologist to get a second opinion.

Best,
Nakamova

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom