Hot weather

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

jane54

Pillar
Reaction score
Some people's epilepsy can be affected by the heat. A friend spoke to me about needing to make sure electrolyes o.k. when the weather gets hotter. Does anyone have information about this as I believe if electrolytes are not ok. it can be a trigger. Be useful if there was a paper on it. Anyone got any knowledge on the subject

Try to drink a lot. If you're out doing things. yard work or exercise for example, and getting hot, epically if you're sweating, take a break for awhile in the shade or a cool place. Don't overexert yourself. Even if you're getting too hot in general try to go somewhere and cool off.

If I get too hot I can have a seizure, it's happened before. I was in town in the summer and I needed to get three blocks in a hurry. My boyfriend and I were pretty much running and sweating to death. Next thing I know I'm sitting in a store with him drinking a cup of water because I had a seizure.

I know this isn't about electrolytes but it's things in general that you should to do.

Thank you for reply Valeriedl and agree it is important to keep hydrated and pay attention if getting too hot or sweating. Have looked online re what friend was hinting at i.e. that when overheated, electrolytes can play up and if this happens this can be a trigger to seizures. Have also looked at what foods are good to eat to keep them stable.

Hi jane54,

I'm just the opposite I need the heat to stop my seizures and my Epileptologist told me that I have what is called "Seasonal
Seizures" which means I have fewer seizures in the spring and summer and more in the fall and winter and all of it is do to the
amount of serotonin that time of the yr. There's more serotonin in the spring and summer which can cause some people to have
more seizures while in the fall and winter there's less serotonin which increases my seizures.

Everyone one is correct that you should stay in the shade and drink a lot of fluid but you may want to try what I had to do which
is cold water therapy. Take a cold washcloth and put it on your face and the back of your neck 3 times a day and by doing this it
calms the neurons down in the brain and stops the seizures in many cases. I wish you the best of luck and May God Bless You!

Sue

Hi Jane -- everyone’s different, but being low in electrolytes (which is what dehydration basically is) is a relatively common seizure trigger.
But too much of anything -- including electrolytes -- can potentially health problems -- so you don't want go overboard with electrolyte supplements, especially if you're already getting plenty of calcium/magnesium/potassium/ and or sodium in your diet.

Thank you Sue, That is interesting. Did not know heat could be helpful for some people. I am definitely a splash my face to cool myself down person and that is helpful
And Nakamova thank you for clarifying about electrolytes. Not planning on using supplements rather needing to understand more about foods that will help ensure these are in balance. Currently being advised medically to change way of eating to more slow release foods and eat little and often to prevent glucose drops being a trigger.

Heat and epilepsy aren't fun. I've lived in the desert my entire life, but started having seizures about 9 years old.

I've lived in the more moderate heat, mostly - where it gets between 90F - 100F in the summer, but I've also lived where it gets to be 120F+ in the summer and let me tell you...those 120 degree days could cause me a lot of issues and we moved away from that after doing two summers out there (not in a row, we went one year, took a break one year, went back a different year - yeah, nope).

When I am dehydrated, my seizures are the worst ever. Last time I had a bad seizure, I was dehydrated, but I wasn't aware enough to drink anything safely and had 2-3 more and since they weren't wanting to stop - I was sent to the hospital by ambulance. I had COVID as well. They pumped me full of 3 1/2 IV fluid bags, and I was barely getting hydrated. It was bad. What did they recommend? Electrolytes such as Gatorade.

Electrolytes are insanely important because our bodies are mostly electrolytes. When they say our bodies are mostly water, that's not exactly true - it's electrolytes! Electrolytes have insanely important minerals that our bodies can't function without like potassium, sodium, etc. etc. There was a great electrolyte powder I loved, but it is too expensive and one of my kids has sensitivities to it's ingredients so I'd prefer not to have it in the house (it's called Ultima). Even if I have to, Gatorade or Powerade are helpful, but it's so much sugar and I'm not fond of the ingredients, but if it is a dire need, it will still help. Body Armor is great, but I don't handle the no sugar (Erythritol) one well, unfortunately, so I will only get the original if I need it.

What works the best and has less sugar is Coconut Water (get a good organic brand, have it on hand for those days you feel dehydrated).

If you get to know the feeling of getting dehydrated, you can help yourself better. If your throat feels like sand paper or it's sticking together, you're dehydrated. If you can't sweat or cry, you're dehydrated. Dry mouth can be a good indication of dehydration, but not always. If you sweat, you should replenish those fluids with mineralized or electrolyte drinks. Keep in mind if you're dehydrated too much, you probably won't feel thirsty and a drink is going to be the last thing you want.

Low electrolytes/Dehydration are a common seizure trigger.

That was what my friend was indicating - that it was not just about drinking more water, but also making sure electrolytes are in balance. I just looked at her blankly and realise this is an area I need to understand more if it can trigger seizures. Still not clear whether low electrolytes and dehydration are one of same thing.

That was what my friend was indicating - that it was not just about drinking more water, but also making sure electrolytes are in balance. I just looked at her blankly and realise this is an area I need to understand more if it can trigger seizures. Still not clear whether low electrolytes and dehydration are one of same thing.

When you're dehydrated, you have lost electrolytes through sweat, generally. That needs to be replenished.

I have found articles around years ago that were saying people can be totally hydrated, but lack electrolytes, too. Sometimes filtered water has minerals stripped from it (many times these days, they are re-added), but it's not always enough for your body to be truly hydrated.

I believe it was Dr. Berg that I saw a while ago that was saying that if you have the right amount of electrolytes, you're not going to be needing to drink water throughout the entire day. He says what some people are told is, "Drink a lot of water!" and then they do and it dilutes their urine and they say, "Oh, I must be hydrated," but Dr. Berg believes you've only flushed too many electrolytes out by that point so you might have plenty of water in your body, but lacking important electrolytes for proper functioning. Whether or not that's 100% remains to be seen, but it was an interesting theory, and personally I don't believe it's 100% wrong since there are times I can drink only water and still feel dehydrated or I'll drink plenty of water and feel hydrated, but if I have an electrolyte drink of some kind, I feel a "different" kind of hydrated...like I'm fully hydrated and not only partially. Not sure if that makes a lot of sense. When I lived in hotter conditions than I do now (the summers of with many 120F days), I realized quickly that water never felt like enough. I could be out in that heat getting in the car and then walking inside to the grocery store. I would bring my own water bottle to the car and such, drink plenty of water, but I'd still end up with a nasty headache, dry mouth, etc. Water alone doesn't cut it, especially in that heat - electrolytes were everything. Sometimes I'd bring a banana with me or have one before going out. I knew other people in that area that swore eating a banana helped the headaches. They do contain a fair amount of potassium and such so that makes sense.

I see where you're coming from, it's always good to research and find out.

Hello XxBlaqkxX

Thank you so much for that reply. Interesting that people can be hydrated and still lack electrolytes. I have found this last year that I have needed to drink more, having been told on a number of occasions that I was dehydrated. I have just been watching Dr Berg on Youtube. So interesting. Thank you for sharing. Will continue to watch him as I do not have the understanding of electrolytes which I think some of you may have, like my friend had.
I am also needing to change how I eat to little and often to prevent drops in blood sugars, as these can be a trigger. I will be speaking with g.p. to get more specific advice on food and I will mention electrolytes too. Once again, thank you, your information and information from others is helping me make informed decions, and have better conversations when speaking with medical people

Hello XxBlaqkxX

Thank you so much for that reply. Interesting that people can be hydrated and still lack electrolytes. I have found this last year that I have needed to drink more, having been told on a number of occasions that I was dehydrated. I have just been watching Dr Berg on Youtube. So interesting. Thank you for sharing. Will continue to watch him as I do not have the understanding of electrolytes which I think some of you may have, like my friend had.
I am also needing to change how I eat to little and often to prevent drops in blood sugars, as these can be a trigger. I will be speaking with g.p. to get more specific advice on food and I will mention electrolytes too. Once again, thank you, your information and information from others is helping me make informed decions, and have better conversations when speaking with medical people

Glad you were able to find some more ideas here to aid you in your research :)

Back
Top Bottom